Malicious seller, really need help

Options
This probably partly belongs on the techie board but it all started on ebay,
I bought something which didn't cost much so no big deal. When it didn't arrived I asked for tracking number to chase it up with RM. Seller phoned and said something about comp from RM. I said.no bother just wanted to track pretty item if pos.
Several emails politely asking for tracking number from receipt given breezy brush off.
After finally getting it by hassling my local delivery guys weeks later I left him a fairly innocuous neutral feedback and forgot about it.
got unpleasant email and responded politely saying had only given neutral not negative and he should be aware of tracking numbers.
Since then wierd number withheld phone calls. a couple more shirty emails and an odd change to my user name which I didn't do and is non complimentary. After telling him to leave me alone he came back with another username he appears to trade under. At this stage I felt worried and contacted ebay. Complicated stuff from them about tracking down all/any remaining messages with 'headers' took hours and apparantly didn't work. Last I looked he's got my neutral down as 'private'
Added to all this my PC has been acting up like it has a trojan or something. Today I can't get into my ebay account as my password seems to have been changed.
I think I've got a problem with a nutter who seems to be able to hijack accounts and info. No requests for password update/reset being answered by ebay either. Someone suggested he could actually reset that to all come to him. This is way beyond me.
What on earth shall I do?
Living on Earth can be expensive, but it does include an annual free trip around the Sun.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's lots of things going on here and I think some need to be dealt with here and some on the techie board. If you've downloaded any form of trojan or key logger that is your priority so go and ask on the techie board for help on a complete clean.

If someone has changed your user ID then they have access to your password, so change it now and make sure you choose somehting totally random. Chane the paypal one as well just in case. If you can't change it or don't get the email confirming the change then get in touch immeidately with live help on ebay and get them to suspend your account and help you regain it and use it safely. No one can get into your ebay account unless you have disclosed your password to them by some means or other, or have an easily guessed password.

I am not sure what you mean about tracking, as a seller it would mystify me as well as I only use standard post..however, regardless of how affronted the seller is, if this is him doing this then it is way out of order.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    Options
    I should also mention that if the seller has now made their feedback private they can no longer sell anything..so at some point if they want to start selling again they will have to remove the private status.

One very very last thing...assuming you paid by paypal it owuld probably have been easier to just open a dispute with them as that should get your money back. No need to flap around with tracking numbers and RM claims.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • botchjob
    botchjob Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    i'd very much doubt he's been able to hack your ebay account unless you've somehow provided him with enough information to do so, a good clue to your password, or if you'd downloaded something he sent to you. Run a full virus check on your pc/laptop.

You'll obvioulsy have to follow up with Ebay but if you have a Paypal account linked to your ebay account you should check it's secure asap and cancel it if in any doubt.
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Can't help re: the trojan(s), but one or two observations...
    Several emails politely asking for tracking number from receipt given breezy brush off.
    After finally getting it by hassling my local delivery guys weeks later ...

Was it sent via trackable means? Did he say it would be?
    If the item was at the delivery office the whole time, arguably it's easier and more sensible for you and the office to arrange redelivery - in my experience the offices don't bother answering the phone, so it's a lot harder for the seller to chase something from their end.

Or, to speed the whole thing up, you could have opened a paypal dispute - that might have made the seller take an interest. But to me it sounds as though the DO was at fault, and the seller hasn't sent it tracked (wrongly or rightly)

I may be wrong - bits of the story are vague :)
    got unpleasant email and responded politely saying had only given neutral not negative and he should be aware of tracking numbers.

A neutral is no longer 'neutral'. It affects the seller's record negatively, so I can understand why he was angry.

He may have been slack and uncommunicative, but did you mark him down because the PO failed you?
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • lifesuckssometimes
    Options
    This probably partly belongs on the techie board but it all started on ebay,
    I bought something which didn't cost much so no big deal. When it didn't arrived I asked for tracking number to chase it up with RM. Seller phoned and said something about comp from RM. I said.no bother just wanted to track pretty item if pos.
    After finally getting it by hassling my local delivery guys weeks later I left him a fairly innocuous neutral feedback and forgot about it.
    Since then wierd number withheld phone calls. a couple more shirty emails and an odd change to my user name which I didn't do and is non complimentary. After telling him to leave me alone he came back with another username he appears to trade under. At this stage I felt worried and contacted ebay. Complicated stuff from them about tracking down all/any remaining messages with 'headers' took hours and apparantly didn't work. Last I looked he's got my neutral down as 'private'
    Added to all this my PC has been acting up like it has a trojan or something. Today I can't get into my ebay account as my password seems to have been changed.
    I think I've got a problem with a nutter who seems to be able to hijack accounts and info. No requests for password update/reset being answered by ebay either. Someone suggested he could actually reset that to all come to him. This is way beyond me.
    What on earth shall I do?

Do a scan using your own antivirus then
    http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/? norton did one but can't find address..
    Do you have any more info on seller name address does he have a website sometimes you can get their name and address there or from ebay. what is his ebay ID.
    NO!
    MY NAME IS NOT WORZEL
    IM JUST FEELING SLIGHTLY ROUGH TODAY
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You gave someone a neutral (which is effectively a neg in ebay's books) just because a seller didn't post a low cost item by a trackable method?

What postage method, if any, was specified in the listing that you paid for?

Looks like sellers should be very wary if this is the approach that all buyers are going to adopt!
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • pickledtink
    pickledtink Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To all who've given practical advice many many thanks.

Others seem to have misunderstood. I never asked for any refund of any sort from anyone. Not worth it and certainly didn't blame him if it had got lost in the mail and said so. RM supply a number with every packet receipt by which items can be tracked. he gave me some micky mouse number which RM said definitely was not a tracking number. Can't prove it but I suspect it wasn't worth the bother to send it so he was just going to refund but I asked him for the tracking number so I could try and find the item. I had no dispute or blamed him for lack of delivery. I don't wage ebay wars over a poxy £17.00! Nor dish out negs lightly in fact I don't think I've ever given even a neutral before.

If a neutral is in fact now a negative what on earth is the point?

Nobody has been in the house or near my computer since I logged on to ebay last night then couldn't this morning.
    My son can sit down at anyones computer and bring up all their passwords in about 5 seconds so if my PC was hijacked it is possible this has happened and a lot more than just my ebay account is at stake.
    Can't get him to tackle this as he's away right now . Anyway thanks for all the sensible advice. I'll get on to ebay again straight away.
    Living on Earth can be expensive, but it does include an annual free trip around the Sun.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Others seem to have misunderstood. I never asked for any refund of any sort from anyone. Not worth it and certainly didn't blame him if it had got lost in the mail and said so. RM supply a number with every packet receipt by which items can be tracked. he gave me some micky mouse number which RM said definitely was not a tracking number. Can't prove it but I suspect it wasn't worth the bother to send it so he was just going to refund but I asked him for the tracking number so I could try and find the item. I had no dispute or blamed him for lack of delivery. I don't wage ebay wars over a poxy £17.00! Nor dish out negs lightly in fact I don't think I've ever given even a neutral before.

Nobody has been in the house or near my computer since I logged on to ebay last night then couldn't this morning.
    My son can sit down at anyones computer and bring up all their passwords in about 5 seconds so if my PC was hijacked it is possible this has happened and a lot more than just my ebay account is at stake.
    Can't get him to tackle this as he's away right now . Anyway thanks for all the sensible advice. I'll get on to ebay again straight away.

where did you hear this?
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Perhaps you may need to look closer to home on who may have hacked into your account ;)

If your son can do this, he could certainly access your details even if he isn't anywhere near your home currently

Btw, your son couldn't do this with anyones computer, only those he's already installed a keylogger on ;)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • soolin
    Options
    T. RM supply a number with every packet receipt by which items can be tracked. he gave me some micky mouse number which RM said definitely was not a tracking number. .

RM most defintely do not supply a tracking number with every item of post, you have to pay an extra £4.+ minimum for a tracking number via special delivery. Even recorded at an extra 72p only tracks when delivered and not before and is no good at all to prove that an item was sent.
    T Nobody has been in the house or near my computer since I logged on to ebay last night then couldn't this morning.

Like the others have stated if your own personal security is poor then yes anyone using the same PC can pull up details of sites you routinely use including your log in. However to hack from an outside computer takes a large amount of skill..it is more likely that you have compromised the security in some way.

I really wouldn't leave this until later unless you suspect your son has somehting to do with it. If you do have compromised secuirty you need to sort this with ebay now..immediately.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure