PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    just popped back in to update siggie

I hope everyone is having a good day
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Had 200ml od dbl cream left in the pot which needed using up so put into clean golden syrup jar and gave to DS2 he has happily shaken it around whilst watching tv and now we have a snmall pot of buttter and a jar of butter milk to use in the next loaf of bread ( I put milk powder in my bread so this is just as good).

He's a happy little bunny as he loves his toast with proper butter.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • turbo5019
    turbo5019 Posts: 331 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Angelnikki thanks for the Cheesy Biscuits recipe I got 24 out of it but only got 12 left :eek: and my poor DD2 hasn't even had a look in. I think I will have to make some more this afternoon after seeing my sister. I bet her and her 2 DD's will eat the rest.
    GC July £250/
  • susan946
    susan946 Posts: 474 Forumite
    angelnikki wrote: »

Edit: the value white fish fillets say they are skinless & boneless too -didnt know that :doh: - they are £1.95/800g

Any idea what sort of fish this is? I love pollock and find things labelled "white fish" are often pollock, which I prefer to cod. I've been trying to get this from the fish counter but they say "there is no call for it" :mad:. Well I, for one am calling..........
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    turbo5019 glad you like them :) I find It's a great recipe for using up any sad bits of cheese. I used only 50g cheese when I made them this week and still got 18. Nomnomnom :p DS(21 months) & OH love them too.

susan946 It doesnt say but I expect they are pollock as the value white fish in butter sauce is. Will you let us know if you try them? I've got a box of value cod in the freezer at the mo so have to use that up first.

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • shala_moo
    shala_moo Posts: 3,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry probably being a bit thick here... :confused:

Is Activia a live yogurt? I had a voucher for 50p off the other day so bought some low fat natural Activia... it says on the ingredients that it has yogurt cultures... is this what i need???

I don't really eat yogurt but my OH eats 2 Mullerlights a day which starts to add up when they are not on offer, so i'd like to try to make my own!

Thanks
    Mortgage amount at 31/12/2011 £166,050 now £0 as at Sept 21 - 15yrs 4 months early.

• Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A couple of people asked for recipes from me, well here they are

Seven Layer Tortilla Pie is taken straight from Chef House Husband. The recipe itself is now here. He has some great recipes on his site

Creamy Chicken and Potato casserole

2 chicken portions
    2 leeks, sliced
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    2 tblspn plain flour
    450ml chicken stock
    150ml white wine
    50g baby carrots, halved lengthways
    50g baby sweetcorn, halved lengthways
    250g new potatoes
    1 bouquet garni
    75ml double cream

NB: You can use turkey instead of chicken, and vary the vegetables to whatever you have. I just use normal carrots and potatoes chopped up. I've added bacon, mushrooms and brocolli before as well. I also use a pinch of dried herbs instead of a bouquet garni

Fry the chicken until brown, transfer to casserole dish
    Add the leek and garlic to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes
    Add the flour and cook for 1 minute
    Add the stock, wine and seasoning. Bring to the boil
    Add the carrots, sweetcorn, potatoes and herbs
    Transfer it all to the casserole dish. Cover and cook for 1 hour (Gas mark 4, 180C)
    Remove from the oven and add the cream. Return to the oven and cook uncovered for 15 minutes
    If using fresh herbs, remove them and season casserole to taste

I usually have this with rice and more fresh vegetables. It's pretty easy to adapt to a slowcooker, and I usully cook it all in a casserole dish on the hob, then stick it in the oven
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • sjaypink
    sjaypink Posts: 6,740 Forumite
    nykmedia wrote: »
    Next time you visit Mr T, stock up on the own brand milk chocolate and hide it amongst your cooking chocolate. I, oops, I mean someone I know, got 10 bars for £2.30 and it lives in the baking cupboard :whistle: :rotfl:
    i cant do that, dont have the will power!

example; made my first ever quiche last week. huge it was, mse style, plan was i could have a little slice for lunch, then it would be nice for tea with potatoes and salad, then hopefully enough left over for lunchboxes the next day.
    so anyway i made this quiche at about 10am............... i had eaten ALL of it by 4pm :o i felt sick.

this is my fear of making my own bread and batch cooking! I WILL EAT IT ALL! :o:D

any tips on willpower?!
    We cannot change anything unless we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses. Carl Jung

• jackiegibbo
    jackiegibbo Posts: 603 Forumite
    Spent £30.42 in lidls today for the week,is it my imagination or is lidls getting a lot busier:rolleyes:

good luck everyone hope you are all well:T :T
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Nykmedia/angelnikki thanks for the info about MrT value cod steak, but unfortunately we don't have Mr T round here. Have migrated from Waitrose to Sainsbury's in effort to cut down. Nearest Mr T is 15 miles away and no direct public transport, so not worth the time and petrol! I used the ready prpared fish to save time and because it looked lovely and fresh. It was still cheaper than eating out!

Sandy2/annelouise thanks for the info re whey. Could I use it in batter for yorkshire puds for example instead of milk? Can I freeze it?

Have made a batch of shortbread, but think I shold have cooked it for longer as it looks a bit 'doughy' IYKWIM. Was hoping to serve it to MIL tomorrow but may have to think again!

M
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport