PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    good morning all

Ifonlyit was easier,,,,, hope you get better soon

BM is on and will have to make it an NSD as I am over already but only another day to go

see ya later
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• catnap53
    catnap53 Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why do they do it? Men that is, well many of them, not wanting to stereotype.

Mess up the budget (like other posters OHs) and/or are thoughtless in other ways. Mine was really trying to help yesterday, I think.

I went to get fabric for DD's outfit, went to Costco on the way past to avoid a separate journey and just got back and unloaded the car when he came in.

Prepared lunch all round while he watched cricket. Started the sewing project that was needed by the time DD was going to party at 7pm. She didn't really know what she wanted as her friend had told her and I was expected to mind read her friend. Had trouble with the sewing machines, I really think they need a service, so was getting a [STRIKE]bit[/STRIKE] lot stressed.

DS was going out at 6 15pm. DH asked if he should get a takeaway on the way back from dropping him off as I was so busy and only the two of us needed a meal.

I answered no, that I would be OK once DD's outfit was finished and she had gone out. It was only after he left that I thought 'Hang on a minute, I have just loaded up the fridge and freezer as well as what we already have, and he wants to waste money on a takeaway'. I really wish he would have offered to prepare the meal as I was so busy, but I suppose its the thought that counts. Was I being ungrateful?

Anyway, spends of 82.11 in Costco, only one weekend (and half of the following week left )and just over 70 pounds remaining. I am keeping all my receipts so it is good to look back and see how often I buy things, not too good to see the rising prices.

Last of my second batch of Artisan bread (made last week) in the oven now. It was a bit more runny than before so put it in a tin. Smells good, so will have to see.

Have fun everyone, esp if going shopping!

Zzzzz
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is a shorter month for me as I'm counting it up to Thurs as we are off to Scotland for a long weekend (yippeeeeeeee ....I am a far flung Scot - well, flung as far as Suffolk -very nice it is too but I still get homesickfrown.gif).

Don't need much this week, just fruit for OH's lunches and prob some more bread. Anyone know if Morrisons is still doing 50p deals? I bought their sausages last weekend and we are having them today. Hope they are good! I only bought one pack to see what they were like.

We've been eating out of the freezer for most of this month which has kept costs down. Need to defrost it soon so will soon be eating the unmarked bags. Oh we did that on Thursday - I defrosted 2 bags which I hadn't labelled. They looked similar and lo! when they were defrosted, they contained cooked haggis, neeps and tatties, all mashed up. Delicious biggrin.gif

ed to add - no catnap, you weren't being ungrateful. But my OH would offer the same - take away instead of actually cooking something when I'm busy. I think some are just programmed that way! On a kind of similar note, I have made sure that my son can cook - OH's mum didn't/ doesn't really encourage men cooking!!!!!
  • Sian_the_Green
    Sian_the_Green Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't have time to cook all my 'twinks' at once so squashed the mixture into a sausage and put it in the fridge, when I came back it was pretty solid and I just sliced it thinly and put it straight on the tray. Would be good to have for those biscuit 'emergencies', I know that in america you can buy cookie dough so this could be the OS version :)
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain Posts: 2,370 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hiya folks,
    Hoping for a NSD;)

Catnap, know what you mean, they are hopeless, and no your not ungrateful

I'm doing great using things up, as mr & mrs are elderly and you have to be carful,I'm getting an interresting and free menue, It would have been free before on account that I always erred on the side of causion and would have thrown alot of it out:rotfl: :rotfl:

Hugs to all who need them :D xx

The sun is shining and all is quiet, just hope it lasts xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • procrastinator
    Options
    Poor kid was so upset when he realised (he found it too - was getting some juice from the fridge). I played it down - to be absolutely fair, in a household of five, he's the last one to have defrosted the freezer - I think everyone else has done it once since we moved here - it's the drawback of it being out of sight.

It never happens when I'm running the freezer down though - always when it's full to the brim :rolleyes:
    Hi I'm catching up on all the posts.
    Would it help to put one of those velcro babylock thingys on the freezer? It might help to ensure the door was properly shut. Just a suggestion.
    WL 11 st 5lb as at 050109. 160209 11st 2lb
    11st 5lb as at 20.04.09 11st 7lbs 040509 11st6 010609 I wish 2016 175 lbs.
    Family of 3 at home - , DS 22, self and OH
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    *BigBird* wrote: »

Ah, I remember the posts about gloop. Even bought some soda crystals so I could have a go at making some :) Think I might take a trip to Mr A tomorrow to get some soap so I can make some :T My washer drawer doesn't hold liquids - will I be able to put gloop in one of those little ball things?

I love this thread - you're all fantastic :beer:

I have been known to pour gloop directly into the washing machine drum - so I guess it would work in a ball (providing you diluted it in hot water so that it is properly liquid as opposed to soft scoop ice cream) (which is what mine resembles in its bucket):rotfl:

Gt
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    angelnikki wrote: »
    Wish my OH worked away. He goes through 14 bags crisps, pack 8 gold bars, pack 8 caramel wafers, big bag of bombay mix, big bag of peanuts, big bag of cashews, jacobs cheddars/tuc cheese sandwich crackers, caramac bars, 250g chocolate plus snacks he buys himself each week :eek: I have a couple of cubes choc a week and thats it :A

Nikki
    x

OMG thats awful! All that carp!
    Amazing what I used to buy mind but not any more they have all ditched it whether they wanted to or not and that sort of quantity would have been for 5 of us. Only carp I buy is about 4 packs of biscuits(value ones) rarely any crisps and weve cut out the stuff with added salt too. I wont buy it. If anyone else sneeks out and does then thats tricky but they cant b;ame me if it makes them ill.
    I used to buy reduced bakery stuff in the evening but no longer-we have it occassionaly but we have lost the longing for it with all the home cooking.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • procrastinator
    Options
    Hi
    Fridays weekly shop came to 35.86 so I am def well over this month. Will have to do a small mid week top up as well so will finalise total later.
    Week 2 I went way over budget as I wanted to ensure spent 50.00 to get the petrol offer that OH was going to use when he filled up next. Guess what I have just found? Yep and when did it run out? 180708:doh: So thought I would just see how much he would have saved 2.50! That is all. :confused:
    I must try much harder next month but it will be an odd time with kids at home some of the time and away others.
    Have a lovely Sunday everyone.
    WL 11 st 5lb as at 050109. 160209 11st 2lb
    11st 5lb as at 20.04.09 11st 7lbs 040509 11st6 010609 I wish 2016 175 lbs.
    Family of 3 at home - , DS 22, self and OH
  • Sunny_Donny
    Sunny_Donny Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all
    Still sunny here - think it is a mirage!!!
    Spent 17.84 in Tesco/Sainsbugs and market yesterday so will only buy milk this week.
    OH decided that since we had trifle yesterday for tea he NEEDED another one from Mr M & S. Persuaded him that we had plenty of fruit for a pudding today and that another trifle would be slightly greedy!! REluctantly he agreed.
    40 items now on ebay - more to photo today and put on either this aft or tomorrow.
    Baby carrots from garden are in steamer for dinner - photo not happening!!!
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13 :j
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family