July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• moniker I find my milk goes off too if I dilute it,thought it was just me.

Will try the cooled boiled trick and report back.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    dink1 wrote: »
    Denise – sorry to hear you are having a crap day, I know exactly what you mean with DH, as mine is still only doing weekly work. So don’t worry you are not moaning that’s what we are all hear for. Dink1

Thank you honey, that's really nice.

Don't like to moan but sometimes you just need to get it out... hey ho, Good thing is he has another job in the pipeline, but not starting till about September and it will be working away again too. :( Hopefully not for too long but should help us get stuff paid off and get us back on track, then hopefully my business working well by then and he can go back to regular, local type work again... fingers crossed :o
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    russetred wrote: »
    ... Moniker I found if you use cooled boiled water from the kettle to dilute milk it solves the problem of going off too quickly..

Thanks for the tip - I will try that and see if it makes any difference. See, I knew someone would know the answer - what lovely helpful people you all are!

Off to take MIL to the shops - will catch up and update sig when I get back.

Have a good afternoon everyone.

Moniker
  • jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288
    First Post
    Forumite
    Heres one for you Kaat_Lady :D:D

sniper.jpg

Good to see you back Mrs M :T .

I have flowers on my tomato plants :j at last.

Jackie x
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Justamum wrote: »
    I wish I could post these lovely "blingy" things like you :D

By the way, I've just noticed where you live. Isn't that where Puff the Magic Dragon lives?:rotfl:

hi there justamum I dont think Puff the Dragon is a neighbour but I may have missed him as I was looking around

thanimal.gif

this is one of my neighbours but it definately isnt a dragon,, hes a bit noisy sometimes
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• KAAT_LADY
    Forumite
    jackk wrote: »
    Heres one for you Kaat_Lady :D:D

sniper.jpg

Good to see you back Mrs M :T .

I have flowers on my tomato plants :j at last.

Jackie x

I love this one Thanks
    berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

• Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mummygems wrote: »
    DeniseF Could I please have the recipe for the mince and onion pie you are making your DH? I cant stand the shop bought ones and DH loves his pie.

Thank you.

P.S. I am a fellow Basildon person :)

Hiya mummygems, we'll have to meet up for a coffee or summit... I know, see you in Asda for some woopsies :D:D:D

The mince & onion pie is going to be just bits & pieces of whatever I can find in the fridge/freezer really, but this is what I've got so far (sorry, no measurements as it literally will be whatever fills the pot)

Onion - diced
    Carrots - chopped into small pieces
    Swede - chopped into small pieces (adds a lovely flavour)

par-boil above ingredients, then add

Oats to bulk
    Mince (allready cooked and refrozen after freezer defrosted, so won't recook until now, but would normally cook while parboiling veg)
    gravy - not too much, just enough to mix to a nice consistency

Then put everything into a big pyrex dish, cover with jus-roll puff pastry (was a woopsie) - I only put it on the top, I don't line the dish with pastry - and cook for about 25 mins on Gas 5 (not sure on electric).

I might add some other bits of veg, got to check exactly what I've got, but I will dish up our dinner tonight then freeze remainder for another time - should get about 6-8 servings out of it.

Hope that helps, I'm afraid I'm a bit of a "see what's there, bung it in and see what comes out" kinda cook :o

Kaat_Lady - Brilliant reply - keep it up girl...:D :D:D
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Wow, as the title says :eek: :eek:
    Every time I go in a shop I see things lol, so the new plan is, instead of going every few days for a few bits, I will go once every fortnight for as much as I can! Today I did exactly that, and with this being the last July shop (famous words but it has to be this time!) this means I have gone over by approx £11. I could not get Cravendale in Tesco but got it in a local shop- enough milk to do us 2 weeks plus some local milk for the next few days (although why is our Tesco getting milk in with only a day to go? The 1L and 2L was use by 19/8 but the 500mls were use by 22/7 so I got 3x 500 ml ones as its the same per L as the 1L ones and the 2L work out only slightly cheaper per L, or not at all if it has a short date! Ok rant over there lol). I too got more of the 7p McDougalls mix that someone mentioned (I think I mentioned it a few posts back too). Been scouring the lower shelves- found the value chocolate (23p) that you all mentioned, some 100's and 1000's for 13p, Value Cod portions (saw the value white fish but not so keen on Pollok) for £2.72. Also got more flour, baking stuff, loads of juice on special/BOGOF etc. Also used my £5 off coupon so with this/offers/other coupons I got £57.05 worth of stuff for £42.56.
    I am quite happy with all this, yes its over budget but tbh I was expecting to go further over with the new Tesco lol
    Although the month is still not finished I have lots to do, packing, organising, clearing out, baking etc so don't plan to go near the shops. Any trips out will be to the park with DS or maybe a lunch out (from a separate budget) with DS.
    Bye for now. 12 NSD's in a row (so that makes a NSW too really) planned so wish me luck. :j :confused: :j
    PS SJPink you could repot your basil in a bigger pot with more soil and it might well come back to life- mine did. I googled pesto recently and there were loads of recipes.
    :wave:
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• KAAT_LADY
    Forumite
    WOW!!!:j :j

I have just mixed up the yoghurt cake:j and

do you remember when your mum used to give you the spoon to lick ,,its like that ,,,golly, gosh it tastes bl****y nice and its not even made yet

will keep you posted
    berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

• mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    just grabbing a cuppa before i brave the weather with the dogs....had my coat on twice now, only to have the heavens open as soon as we got up the garden path :mad: i'm willing the rain clouds to blow over and leave us alone!!

SAV3R keep your chin up sweetheart, we all have down days, but things can only get better (((hugs)))

IfOnlyItWasEasier hope you're feeling better soon....at least you're not spending money when you're poorly!! :D

Denise hope things pick up for your OH soon.it must be awful going to work when he hates the job so much

well, i can't believe how well i've done this week...i've still got over £30 in my purse to last me to Sunday :j so if i'm really really good i shouldn't need to spend much more, and it can go towards getting the flippin fridge fixed :rolleyes:

right am gonna try and brave the weather again.................. if you see a drowned woman with 3 soaking wet dogs, that'll be me!!! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure