Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > HELP What is a customer compliance officer @Job C... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
HELP What is a customer compliance officer @Job Centre
Views: 154,577
# 1
lesandflynny
Old 03-05-2008, 3:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default HELP What is a customer compliance officer @Job Centre

Hi...

Friend is very worried about a letter so I wondered can anybody help ....

she got a letter today "Invitation to office interview" then goes on to say

"we need to see you to discuss a query that has arisen concerning your claim to benefit. It is essential that you attend this interview as it may affect your benefit................. the rest of the letter looks standard and asks her to bring id

Facts: She was self employed and has only recently (1 month) claimed income support... only just in receipt of payments etc she is driving me mad worried....

Anybody any ideas what these letters are, are they standard... what is a customer compliance officer etc etc.
Oh how I dream............
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
vicki b
Old 03-05-2008, 3:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

a lot of people have reported that this is just routine however i got called into a customer compliance officer meeting+discovered my neighbour had tried reporting me....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicki b For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
sarebear
Old 03-05-2008, 4:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

my husbands compliance officer visit was because someone had reported him foe benfit fraud . luckily for us it was total rubbish. Good luck with it.
# 4
lesandflynny
Old 03-05-2008, 6:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Has anybody else been invited to a meeting with a customer compliance officer.... what are their roles, there is no way she can be questioned for fraud, so could there be another explaintation??

Thanks
# 5
kelloggs36
Old 03-05-2008, 6:35 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

It is a fraud investigator. If it is a case where they were considering prosecution they would be interviewing her under caution, but that doesn't look like it will be the case here. It sounds like there is something not quite right about her claim, or there are suspicions about it and they want to interview her about it to determine whether she has a legit claim or not.
# 6
lesandflynny
Old 03-05-2008, 9:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thank's.... I have passed on all info and have suggested she phone them.

She cannot imagine what suspisions they might have but I have tried to re-assure that if she has nothing to hide not to worry.

It is a very blunt letter and I know these things tend to make people worry. I remeber my Nan getting something about bailiffs & court action from the LA. It turned out she owed them 83p (their mistake in calculating her DD payments) but she never slept for nights until she confided in her daughter who immediately called and resolved things (oh, yes she gave them a roasting for intimidating older folk too (;>)

Ciao x
# 7
lilac_lady
Old 04-05-2008, 2:49 PM

vicky b said that her neighbour had reported her. How do you find out who reports who? Thought it was all confidential?
" The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

# 8
healy
Old 04-05-2008, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_lady View Post
vicky b said that her neighbour had reported her. How do you find out who reports who? Thought it was all confidential?
I dont think you can find out who reports who. It is all confidential. I dont know what happened in vicky bs case maybe she guessed or the Compliance Officer let it slip.
# 9
dippy3103
Old 17-05-2008, 10:23 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It is confidentail who made the report- they are very often anonymous anyway.
# 10
ronson49
Old 15-04-2009, 2:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Im opening this bad boy up from the dead.

I would like to share my experience of this as i did come to this exact post (via google) and it didnt answer my questions yesterday.

Today, having been for my interview. It turns out that complience officers are essentially fraud investigators. However lets make it clear that they are not. They are there to inform you of the legality of your claim to make sure you are not commiting fraud knowingly.

Lets take for an example, A Male and a Female living together in a flat. One of them works full time the other does not. This male and female must be judged by the job centre that they are not living a life similar to that of a married couple or civil relationship.

In other words, its not the job centres job to prove you ARE a couple, it is your job to prove to them that you are NOT a couple. You might be staying with your cousin, or perhaps your male friend... You need to prove you are not gay as well.

I do not understand how to prove otherwise. If Boy A and Girl B share the livingroom then that seems to be classed as similar to a married couple. If that is used against you then you have no leg to stand on surely? I mean, i cooked dinner for 6 friends in Uni so automatically the job centre would class me as a Gangbanger with multiple relationships.

So it seems the only thing left for Boy A is to move out and be alone otherwise Girl B will need to pay for Boy A's upkeep..... It is crazy.

So back to the topic,

They will explain to you the law and give you time to think about it, if you are sure you are ok, then you proceed to the next interview stage where you are questioned and a statement is sent to a descision maker. Following the above story "Hmm do i think Boy A and Girl B are in a relationship?" and if they decide you are then your benefits are stopped.

At any point in the process, you could change your cicumstances, stop claiming, find a job and so on. You are allowed to appeal the descision one time only.

So is there anything to worry about? Well not from a legal point of view, If i refuse to comply then it prob will end up a fraud investigation (same power as the police apart from arrest). However, if you comply and are found to be incorrect by the end of the process, then you will lose your benefits.

In my case, it seems i have no way to prove i am not a couple so as i write this my future has went from bad to completely dire. Cant expect the flatmate to pay for me being unemployed so it seems come the end of the month, ill be pretty much homeless with not a penny to my name.

Thanks for the help Job Centre Plus :confused:
The Following User Says Thank You to ronson49 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
hanny83
Old 15-04-2009, 4:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Jobcentreplus look at much more than whether a boy and a girl share a living room together when deciding if two people are LTAHAW/CP. All sorts, from what neighbours make of their 'relationship' to bank accounts and loads of other things. Jobcentreplus recognises that mixed sexes live together purely on a flatshare basis.

Also, we can get the Police to make arrests on our behalf if we need to get someone in for an IUC who is refusing to do so.
Hanny
The Following User Says Thank You to hanny83 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
ronson49
Old 15-04-2009, 5:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Yeah thats fair enough but what i was told was basically they will look at my/our life and compare it to that of a married or civil couple.

So i dont see how i can prove otherwise if things such as "do you make eachother dinner" "do you share a livingroom" is to be used against me. I mean, what can i do with my life when sharing a flat which makes me say otherwise? "i often threaten my flatmate with violence", " i put razors in her tea" "i put up a new wall to cut the flat into 2".

Its balls.

They said bank accounts too and yes we opened a bank account when we first moved in only for rent payments (which was when i was working) so again unless i make my life as difficult as possible for both of us, then i see no way that any boy/girl boy/boy girl/girl sharing a flat has any leg to stand on. I mean, its impossible for me to prove for definite that i simply share a flat.
# 13
hanny83
Old 15-04-2009, 5:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm sorry I can't help you with any more info. The bank account thing is as it is because it's very unusual for two people to open joint bank account together purely for rental purposes. If you have statements to prove that this was what the bank account was for, ie. no other withdrawals/payments in for other purposes that you could provide the compliance officer with that might help your case.
Hanny
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hanny83 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
kaya
Old 15-04-2009, 5:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i recently had an interview with a compliance officer(sorry, fraud investigator) because some toe rag had reported me for benefit fraud, apparently i have no problem driving places(in my motabiliy paid vehicle!) and im doing building work on the side, she also asked to see my bank satements, apparently to check for wages being paid in, nice enough girl, polite and courteous , said after 10 mins of talking that i wouldn't be hearing from them again and she was satisfied it was a malicious complaint, apparently it was anonymous also
# 15
ahai1
Old 15-07-2009, 7:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have an interview with them at my local office. They have asked for a number of things.
Passport which I can provide.
Birth certificates for everyone. I can provide for everyone except my parents as they do not have ones issued to them in Bangladesh.
I do not get housing or council tax benefit as I live with my parents.
I am not sure what they mean by proof of address and residence.
Ulitity bills it is not my house it is my parents house.
I can provide bank statements for the last 6 months.
I can provide tax notice for my part time job.
I have lost the contract of employment as it is a job that I have been doing for sometime.
I can provide the payslips.

Can anyone offer any assistance. My local office is less than helpful.
# 16
chnelomi
Old 15-07-2009, 7:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

proof of address. i used mobile phone bill.
Guess if you take a selection of bills, driving license etc they would need to accept them on the basis there are so many
slowly going nuts at the world
The Following User Says Thank You to chnelomi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
ahai1
Old 15-07-2009, 8:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I thought that a mobile phone bill was not proof of address considered by anyone. I don't have a driving licence and I am pay as you go so I suppose I will have to take all the stuff that I have.

If they ask about the other things I will tell them it is not my house but my parents.
# 18
LUISAUNTY
Old 27-09-2009, 2:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

received this myself yesterday not sure if anyone can help explain what the letter is i am a single parent on benefits not working and with 3 children and no partner
thanks........
also interview is to be taken at different jcp than address on letter

CUSTOMER COMLIANCE TEAM
EDGE HILL JOB CENTRE PLUS
(rest of jcp address)
(then my address)

Date 22nd sept 09

Dear*************

____INTERVIEW TO OFFICE INTERVIEW__
we need to see you in order to discuss a review on your claim to benefit

.____It is essential that you make yourself available as to not do so may affectyour benefit__

would you please call at ____******* Jobcentre on tuesday 29/09/09 at 3.00pm___ and ask for ****

to avoid unnecessary delay, please bring this letter with you and show it to reception immediately on your arrival.Please ask for ****

please arrive at the office promptly as it may be difficult to fit in another appointment if you arrive late.

if you cannot keep this appointment then you must contact me on the above number to arrange a mutually convienient appointment.

THINGS THE CUSTOMER COMPLIANCE OFFICER WILL NEED TO SEE :

proof of identification such as :
* passport
*driving licence
*utility bills
*rent arrangemants
*bank statements etc (bearing name and address)
Evidence to support your claim to benefit

___ALSO YOUR PARTENERS LAST THREE MONTHS WAGES SLIPS re PART TIME EARNINGS

yours sincerely *****

customer compliance team.

# 19
NASA
Old 27-09-2009, 3:03 PM

Send a message via MSN to NASA

Is there anyone else living in the same place as you? (Apart from your kids).
# 20
LUISAUNTY
Old 27-09-2009, 3:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

no person at all and no one apart from me and children sleep at my address