Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > m3 to Kwh conversion factor.....Eon (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
m3 to Kwh conversion factor.....Eon
Closed Thread
Views: 100,997
# 1
Phlik
Old 30-04-2008, 7:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default m3 to Kwh conversion factor.....Eon

Just this last month changed over to Eon for dual fuel, Energyonline extra saver 5.

As I'm slightly sad I decided to take meter readings each morning for the next few weeks, monitor my usage and set up a spreadsheet to calculate my bills (told you I was sad )

Just phoned Eon to find out the conversion factor for m3 to Kwh to calculate the gas bill, apparently its as follows

(((Reading x 2.8) x1.02264) x 38.9)/3.6

For an average use per day of 4.6 m3 of gas this gives a quarterly bill larger than some countries national debt (I'm exagerating slightly, but it is bloody huge )

Does anybody know what Eon's actual conversion factor is, not sure I can stand the excitement of phoning them again.

Phlik
# 2
squiggles
Old 30-04-2008, 7:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Im not an eon customer but i use this site to estimate my gas bills

http://energylinx.co.uk/gas_meter_conversion.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Phlik
Old 30-04-2008, 8:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You're a star, have a thanks

It was the 2.8 that was throwing it out, you need that in for converting from ft3 to Kwh.

Phlik
The Following User Says Thank You to Phlik For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
moonrakerz
Old 01-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Fairly accurate conversion of m3 to kWh: multiply m3 by 11.

Rough conversion: multiply by 10.

Don't worry about calorific correction figures, they vary by fractions of a decimal point.
# 5
boatman
Old 01-05-2008, 4:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thats exactly what i do, multiply by 11, simple.
# 6
mprice1988
Old 01-05-2008, 5:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

At Scottish and southern we calculate our gas as follows

Reading x 1.02264 x 2.83 x 39 / 3.6 = kwh used
# 7
SwanJon
Old 01-05-2008, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprice1988 View Post
At Scottish and southern we calculate our gas as follows

Reading x 1.02264 x 2.83 x 39 / 3.6 = kwh used
Only if you are converting from hundreds of cubic feet, If you are converting from cubic meters leave out the 2.83 (as mentioned above).

And in case someone gets the wrong idea, don't just use your reading, use the difference between your current reading and the last one.

[Sorry, one of those days when everything needs to be explained]
The Following User Says Thank You to SwanJon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
basilp
Old 29-08-2010, 11:40 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Gas conversion Equation

The conversion equation you quoted is correct. You have to be careful with the units though. You HAVE to enter the reading in hft3(hecto cubic ft or 100xft3). Most older gas meters (including mine) read in cubic feet (ft3) but the last two digits (usually in read) are ignored in the meter readings. Thus the meter readings read and quoted by the companies are in 100xft3 and NOT in ft3. I think that is where your frightening paradox lies.
If you really want to know more about the gas conversion equation:
1 hft3 = 100 ft3= 2.8317 m3 this explains the first factor.
1.02264 is a "bodge factor" to correct from the nominal (assumed by the company gas temperature and pressure from the "standard values" of 15 C and 1013 mBar assumed in the calculation of the calorific value
39.3 is the currently quoted "calorific value of gas" by Eon.This converts from M3 to MJ /m3 (MJ stands for Mega Joule, 1 joule = 1 Ws -watt second). Typical values of "calorific value" of natural gas range from 37.5 - 43 MJ/m3 depending on how rich it is on heat generating hydrocarbons (Methane etc.).
Finally the 3.6 divider is supposed to convert from seconds to hours required for the final kWh figure (1h = 3600 s ; the 1000 factor together with another 1000 factor for the kW is cancelled by the mega = 1000000 factor in the calorific value).
I hope that this is all clear to you but if you have any more questions just shout !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlik View Post
Just this last month changed over to Eon for dual fuel, Energyonline extra saver 5.

As I'm slightly sad I decided to take meter readings each morning for the next few weeks, monitor my usage and set up a spreadsheet to calculate my bills (told you I was sad )

Just phoned Eon to find out the conversion factor for m3 to Kwh to calculate the gas bill, apparently its as follows

(((Reading x 2.8) x1.02264) x 38.9)/3.6

For an average use per day of 4.6 m3 of gas this gives a quarterly bill larger than some countries national debt (I'm exagerating slightly, but it is bloody huge )

Does anybody know what Eon's actual conversion factor is, not sure I can stand the excitement of phoning them again.

Phlik
# 9
moonrakerz
Old 29-08-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilp View Post
I hope that this is all clear to you but if you have any more questions just shout !
They will have to shout very loudly - that thread was over two years old
The Following User Says Thank You to moonrakerz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Marathon_Pete
Old 17-09-2010, 1:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

But still very relevant today - I called NPower and they couldnt tell me a conversion rate!
# 11
minicooper272
Old 27-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I was in a flat last year and had a meter that used about 4 units/day and this cost approximately 35/month (so i hope you're in a similar flat!). I just moved into a new, smaller flat and was delighted when my meter only clocked about 0.8 units a day but, somehow, this also costs 35/month!

I'm really confused about this... someone help!!!
# 12
macman
Old 27-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Old flat was on a metric meter (a unit is a cu m), new flat is on an older imperial meter (a unit is 100 cu ft). So a metric unit has far less energy value and will run up the units faster.
As explained above, the conversion factor is 2.83, so your 4 old units should be around 1.4 units now.
If you are still paying the same for 0.8 units. that's because the price has gone up!
To compare usage properly, always use the final kWh figure, which is what you are actually billed in.
No free lunch, and no free laptop

Last edited by macman; 27-01-2011 at 12:10 PM.
# 13
borisba
Old 19-09-2011, 10:00 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

to calculate cubic meter of natural gas we need to know correction factor(1,02264). i want to know how can we calculate this factor?is there a formula?
# 14
DVardysShadow
Old 19-09-2011, 5:00 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisba View Post
to calculate cubic meter of natural gas we need to know correction factor(1,02264). i want to know how can we calculate this factor?is there a formula?
The correction factor 1.02264 is not exactly calculated, it is measured and changes according to the quality and purity of the gas delivered.

What is the overall problem you are trying to solve?
# 15
stewie_griffin
Old 19-09-2011, 5:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVardysShadow View Post
The correction factor 1.02264 is not exactly calculated, it is measured and changes according to the quality and purity of the gas delivered.

What is the overall problem you are trying to solve?
The correction factor is a constant and doesn't change. The calorific value changes with the quality of the gas.

From the BG website:

Correction factor (CF)
Used to convert gas units into kilowatt-hours (kWh). The correction factor (1.02264) takes into account changes in the volume of gas based on temperature and pressure.
# 16
borisba
Old 20-09-2011, 2:10 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

i need to convert m3 in energy(kWh) without knowing enything about calorific value of gas..i need some nuber to multiply
m3...like m3*10,54=---kWh,
but i want to know how to get that number..i need explanation..so i dont understand now, is this correction factor a constant or not?..enyway thank you very much for trying..
# 17
notbritishgas
Old 20-09-2011, 3:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisba View Post
i need to convert m3 in energy(kWh) without knowing enything about calorific value of gas..i need some nuber to multiply
m3...like m3*10,54=---kWh,
but i want to know how to get that number..i need explanation..so i dont understand now, is this correction factor a constant or not?..enyway thank you very much for trying..
Believe me you do not really want to know how to get there but just multiply the M3 figure by 11.2, the variables vary by quite a small amount so as not to make too much differnce.

However if you insist:
M3 xCalorific value 39.4 x volume correction 1.02264 / 3.6 = 11.1922

These are the figures for the East Mids area at the moment,some values may change slightly eg calorific value
# 18
Candy53
Old 30-10-2011, 5:28 PM

I've been searching all afternoon trying to find out Eon's present 'calorific value', and was brought to this thread.

I've just switched to Eon for gas from Npower and their calorific value was always the same. I want to calculate my bill before it arrives, but I've found out the value changes from area to area.

So, is there anyone from Lincolnshire, or N.E.Lincs who can look on their last Eon bill and post what the calorific value was please?

Thanks,
Candy.
'What goes around, comes around'
# 19
jalexa
Old 30-10-2011, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy53 View Post
I've just switched to Eon for gas from Npower and their calorific value was always the same...
At any period in time it is the same for all suppliers in the same region, so use your Npower figure.

If you particularly want the figure fine, but a good kWhr approximation will be obtained by multiplying cubic metres by 11 (or the slightly more accurate multiplier given in an earlier post).

Last edited by jalexa; 30-10-2011 at 7:05 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalexa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Candy53
Old 30-10-2011, 7:17 PM

Thanks for replying jalexa.

I'll carry on my calculating then. I always work out my bills after giving in the readings to make sure the bills are right. They make so many mistakes these days.

Candy.
'What goes around, comes around'
Closed Thread