Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • barginboyrob
    • By barginboyrob 31st Aug 05, 4:52 PM
    • 703Posts
    • 56Thanks
    barginboyrob
    The best student mobile phone deals?
    • 31st Aug 05, 4:52 PM
    The best student mobile phone deals? 31st Aug 05 at 4:52 PM
    Hi, i was just wondering what the best student (or any) mobile phones deals are.
    I know that orange offer 1000 free texts a month and 120mins for £25, but i am only looking to spend max £20 (as i can use my PC to call home anyway )

I will need alot of texts and calls during peak times to other mobile networks?

Thanks for you help!

oh, and i also want a good phone, like the k750i
    Last edited by barginboyrob; 31-08-2005 at 5:26 PM.
Page 1
  • alabama
    • 31st Aug 05, 5:17 PM
    • 31st Aug 05, 5:17 PM
    O2 online 50 gives you 500 free texts and 50 anytime/anyone minutes for £19/month.

Check out www.o2.co.uk

And for anyone who is worried about having an online contract, I have had one for 4 years with no problems whatsoever!
  • Stu_Dent
    • 31st Aug 05, 9:54 PM
    • 31st Aug 05, 9:54 PM
    I'm starting Uni in september and wanted a cheap tariff and the best i have found is on o2.
    Its the o2 Online Tariff which gives you 100 anyone/anytime minutes and 100 free texts a month when you top up £10. Once you've finished your allowance of texts you can use the £10 which will give you 100 further texts so overall:

£10 per month for 200 texts and 100 anytime minutes.
    • barginboyrob
    • By barginboyrob 31st Aug 05, 10:32 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    barginboyrob
    • 31st Aug 05, 10:32 PM
    • 31st Aug 05, 10:32 PM
    Thats good, but i also want a new phone,

i found this which is fairly good (18month contract though) http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.viewPayMonthlyHandsetDet ails&action=getPayMonthlyHandsetDetails&intHandset ID=296&variationID=133

are there any similar which are not 18 month? As in the second year(Jan 2007) of Uni i'm leaving in the second semester to malaysia campus , so i don't want to be paying while i am in a different country!

Thanks
  • braken2000
    • 31st Aug 05, 10:45 PM
    • 31st Aug 05, 10:45 PM
    I got a T-Mobile contract. Its 18mnths, you get 300 anytime any minute calls and 100 free texts. Its £16.50 a month for the first 8, then £30 for the next 3, then the lifetime of the contract (month 11 until you cancell or upgrade) is back to the £16.50. You can also get a decent phone with this for free, i got the V3 black RAZR, gr8 phone.
  • jr666
    • 1st Sep 05, 10:45 AM
    • 1st Sep 05, 10:45 AM
    uhhhh... vodafone offered 12 month contracts as well as 18 month on that link.

I dont think the k750i has a 2MP camera BTW :confused:
  • alabama
    • 1st Sep 05, 11:48 AM
    • 1st Sep 05, 11:48 AM
    Well you get a new phone with an o2 online if you commit to a contract
  • fisheddie
    • 1st Sep 05, 11:54 AM
    • 1st Sep 05, 11:54 AM
    The idea of saving money but also wanting a new phone doesn't really go together. Certainly the O2 Payg deal is the best out there at the moment - Uni is expensive enough without suddenly getting hit by a £50 quider, coz you forgot how much you were using it!
    • fragster
    • By fragster 1st Sep 05, 2:51 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    fragster
    • 1st Sep 05, 2:51 PM
    • 1st Sep 05, 2:51 PM
    something like this: http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/commerce/servlet/gben-pd-ProductDisplay?PN=NETWORKS.NOK66806MFLR&origin=SPE CIALOFFER

one of the best offers, free nokia 6680, £3.99 rental for 6 months, after that £30 pm but you can downgrade to a lower tariff if wanted after 8 months, inclusive 500 free minutes anyone anytime a month and 100 texts
  • jr666
    I'd avoid all "cashback" schemes from the likes of e2save and carphone warehouse like the plague. I'm still fighting for £180 refund from e2save and have had to send off several very firm letters.

Stick to a contract where you pay for what you get if you pay £25 a month you will get a package that reflects that. If you want to pay £3.99 (or less) a month you will still pay £25ish per month and get refunds after 6 and 12 months. The hassle involved in getting this back is not worth it. I'm regretting the day that e2save ever recieved a phone call from me signing up for a new contract.
  • misskool
    Switched to Vodafone 18 month deal. best so far and have not had to pay over the monthly line rental. It's called stop the clock, you pay only the first three minutes of your off peak calls, doesn't matter how long you talk for. It's valid for cross network calls as well. It doesn't work for a 12-month contract though, which is a shame.
    • jenny_f
    • By jenny_f 11th Sep 05, 8:35 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    jenny_f
    Best student deal I found was with Orange they do it for both pay month and pay as you go. I'm on the pay monthly one standard features on this are 1000 free texts and then once you use your minutes you get 50% off calls to landlines! I've found it's quite good.
    • barginboyrob
    • By barginboyrob 11th Sep 05, 8:37 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    barginboyrob
    yeh, i was ringing around to day, i didn't get offered anything apart standard sudent tariffs, i only wanna spend £20 or less as i can call home using the pc.
    Three do 100min and 1000tx but orange wouldn't match it.....grrrrrrrr
    • jenny_f
    • By jenny_f 11th Sep 05, 8:51 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    jenny_f
    on orange i pay £19 and get 60 anyone anytime mins and 1000 txts. Depends how much u call and if u can call land lines after ur minutes are used up
    • barginboyrob
    • By barginboyrob 11th Sep 05, 9:16 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    barginboyrob
    yeh, thats true but i told them i wanted a k750i or w800i as then i don't have to buy a seperate digital camera as 2 megapixel is good enough.

Might go to the 60 + 1000tx deal and see what phones they do offer ( considering my dad is also on orange)

One time i rang orange though today (afternoon), they told me that student tariffs start from £25, but they told my dad they start from £19 (this morning).

Whats going on!
    • jenny_f
    • By jenny_f 11th Sep 05, 9:29 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    jenny_f
    there is a £25 where you get the same amount of text but you get 120 minutes and a choice of more phones.
    • barginboyrob
    • By barginboyrob 11th Sep 05, 9:38 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    barginboyrob
    yeh i know, but i can't spend more than £20 a month!
  • phatspider
    Vodafone do some tariffs with unlimited text - plus you get stop the clock so if you send a lot of texts and chat off peak it works out really cheap

Good selection of phones too
  • phatspider
    ooops - forgot the url

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.studentoffers&WT.mc_id=B AN-17-08-2005-B002
  • tinkyminx
    The vodafone is definatley worth a look. £25 a month gets you 125 anytime, anynetwork minutes, stop the clock (only pay for the first three minutes of an off peak call - up to an hour on any network) and unlimited free text and picture messages.....sound like a bargain to me!

Yes it is an 18 month contract, but the longer the contract the longer you get free messages!

www.vodafone.co.uk/students
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,210Posts Today

6,825Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @hugorifkind: Arguing that Hitler was a Zionist is like arguing that the slave trade was pro-immigration. Get a grip.

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Morning! In this week's email: Loads of ways to save inc. Urgent Sky £30/mth, M&S 50%, £36off Tesco & Hotpoint wins: ht?

• RT @GMB: Fancy coming on GMB to learn how to save loads on your car insurance with @MartinSLewis? Find out more: https://t.co/B9vQfOliPA

• Follow Martin