Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 5th Mar 08, 11:06 AM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Cheaper Water Bills Article Discussion
    • 5th Mar 08, 11:06 AM
    Cheaper Water Bills Article Discussion 5th Mar 08 at 11:06 AM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Slash The Cost Of Water Bills

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 4:19 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 23
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Jun 17, 5:58 PM
    • 7,885 Posts
    • 4,697 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Is there any easy way to compare prices?

Than
    ks
    Originally posted by catus

Go onto the website of your water company and you should find a link to a site which asks questions like 'How many rooms? Type of property ? How many occupants ? Do you have a garden ? How often are baths,showers taken ? How often is a dishwasher or washing machine used ?'

You can also ring them, with your account number and address, from which they will tell you how much they think you will save. (I found the latter as I had to ring to ask the RV they were using)

On the questions website, I did one survey using silly data like using the washing machine every day (just two of us) and washing 4 cars a week, then a realistic one and even the first meant a good saving.

Severn Trent's estimate was just based on two adults living in a semi in the specific zone in their area and was beaten by the two in depth estimates, but still offered a good saving.

We have had the meter for a week now and I'm amazed at how little water we have used, though no car has been washed, the garden pots weren't watered (rainy,but they are the sump type) and the washing machine was only used once (there is washing waiting but not enough for a load of one type).

We have been doing the over the top on save,though, like not flushing after a wee in the night(saves waking partner, anyway), using the first mug from the hot tap in a tooth brush mug and saving water from the kitchen tap for houseplants (always have a plant waterer in the kitchen anyway, so this is the best time to fill it).

Usage will go up, slightly, when the new kitchen is fitted as the present dishwasher is broken so dishes are bowl washed, then drained in the dishwasher. There's also the fish tank to top up (always have used it's old water for plant tubs, because of all the nutrients in it) , cars to wash and two little dogs to bath (but not often as they are quite old one doesn't like water).

I don't fancy the idea of a water butt as they take up space and involve interfering with a downspout.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 13th Jun 17, 7:29 PM
    • 26,626 Posts
    • 12,875 Thanks
    Cardew
    etc etc.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    ++

Catus was enquiring about
    Business water comparison
    Larger businesses have a choice!

https://www.businesselectricityprices.org.uk/water-prices/
    • QueenTea
    • By QueenTea 20th Jul 17, 9:08 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    QueenTea
    If you are not able to have a water meter fitted because you live in a block of flats you may not know that Thames Water also offer a single occupancy tariff. I have just received £400 rebate as they didn't tell me about this tariff and I had it backdated to when I first enquired about having a meter fitted. Other providers may offer similar tariffs to those who live alone.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 20th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 26,626 Posts
    • 12,875 Thanks
    Cardew
    If you are not able to have a water meter fitted because you live in a block of flats you may not know that Thames Water also offer a single occupancy tariff. I have just received £400 rebate as they didn't tell me about this tariff and I had it backdated to when I first enquired about having a meter fitted. Other providers may offer similar tariffs to those who live alone.
    Originally posted by QueenTea
    This applies for all water companies and not just flats and single occupiers. It is important to appreciate that you must firstly apply for a meter to be fitted, even though you are aware it is not possible to fit a meter.

Any property regardless of size or number of occupants can be given the opportunity to go on an 'assessed tariff'. The rates for this tariff are shown on each companies website. Whilst in most cases an assessed tariff is cheaper than Rateable Value charges, it isn't always the case.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

398Posts Today

4,600Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin