Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Credit Cards > Not on the electoral roll? You must register to g... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Not on the electoral roll? You must register to get credit!
Views: 205,620
# 1
Former MSE Natasha
Old 22-02-2008, 5:14 PM
Former Personal Researcher
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Not on the electoral roll? You must register to get credit!

Updated 8 April 2008

What's this about?

To get credit, be it a loan, mortgage, credit card or even mobile phone contract, it's essential to be registered on the electoral roll before applying. Many people assume they're automatically registered, or don't bother doing it. Yet not being on the roll will have massive implications on your credit worthiness.

Plus, for anyone in England and Wales, it's vital to be registered before 16 April if you want to vote in the local elections on 1 May.

How do I register?

If you're not registered, or even if you're just not sure, visit the AboutMyVote website and type in your home postcode to find and download your local authority's registration form. Print it, complete it and then simply send to the address at the top of the form. It takes about 3 minutes and you're done!

Why does it affect my credit rating?

It's one of many factors that does. Credit reference agencies use electoral roll information to confirm your identity, which is then passed onto lenders when you apply for credit, to prevent fraud. Thus, if you're not on the roll when making an application it'll appear that you don't exist, or you're starting afresh with no credit record; both will have a negative impact.

To read more about the things that affect your credit history, and how you can go about checking and improving it, read Your Credit Rating guide

Who can register?

Although you can't vote or get credit before turning 18, anyone over the age of 16 can register provided they're a British, Irish, Commonwealth or European Union citizen.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Dan; 08-04-2008 at 8:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Former MSE Natasha For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
purplestar133
Old 09-04-2008, 1:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

When I was a student I asked to be registered at both my mum and dad's address (my 'home') and my student address, which was in a different city.

I've since finished uni and am still living away from 'home' but at a different address than before. I keep moving every year and so am reluctant to register at every address. If I stay registered at my mum's, is that going to affect my ability to get credit etc where I live now?

Also, is there any way I can find out if the residents at my previous address have removed my name from the list of people registered at that address?

Hope this makes sense!
# 3
nathanp
Old 09-04-2008, 4:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplestar133 View Post
Also, is there any way I can find out if the residents at my previous address have removed my name from the list of people registered at that address?
Yes, contact the local electoral registration office at the council for that area.
The Following User Says Thank You to nathanp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Moggles
Old 09-04-2008, 5:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Is there any way I can find out if the residents at my previous address have removed my name from the list of people registered at that address?
Why does this matter? You no longer live there. :confused:
People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
# 5
Moggles
Old 09-04-2008, 5:47 PM

Quote:
I keep moving every year and so am reluctant to register at every address. If I stay registered at my mum's, is that going to affect my ability to get credit etc where I live now?
Lenders like stability. You'll disrupt your credit rating every time you move house.

Are you likely to move back to your parents at some point? Could you stay registered there and use your parent's address for credit applications? Many lenders provide good online services now, so it would not be necessary for your parents to forward paper statements to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moggles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
irishjohn
Old 09-04-2008, 7:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to irishjohn Send a message via Skype™ to irishjohn
Default Get a free identity card too - Northern Ireland

Once you register in Northern Ireland you can apply for a photographic identity card - its free of charge and is accepted in lots of places as valid photo ID - opening accounts, getting into clubs and best of all on low cost airlines as the photo ID needed to get on board.

If you want to register or apply for a card google the Electoral Office for Northern Ireland to get the website
John
# 7
purplestar133
Old 09-04-2008, 8:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggles View Post
Lenders like stability. You'll disrupt your credit rating every time you move house.

Are you likely to move back to your parents at some point? Could you stay registered there and use your parent's address for credit applications? Many lenders provide good online services now, so it would not be necessary for your parents to forward paper statements to you.
Thanks Moggles, I wasn't aware that moving would affect my credit rating. I'll probably stay registered at my parent's house.
# 8
zmzn
Old 09-04-2008, 8:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggles View Post

I'm in a similar situation to purplestar133, and was thinking of doing as you suggest Moggles. I've always been on the electoral register at my parents but had some credit taken out registered there, later changed it to my student addresses, then back to my parents, where I don't stay permanently. If I applied for new credit, on the application form when it asks how long you have lived at your address, should I put the time as since I started living there as a kid, or since I moved my exisiting credit back? I'm worried that if I put it down from when I was a kid, the linked addresses on the credit file might flag that up as suspicious/misleading. Thanks for any help.
# 9
Moggles
Old 09-04-2008, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmzn View Post
If I applied for new credit, on the application form when it asks how long you have lived at your address, should I put the time as since I started living there as a kid or since I moved my existing credit back? I'm worried that if I put it down from when I was a kid, the linked addresses on the credit file might flag that up as suspicious/misleading.
Have you checked your credit reports lately? (For help, see the *How to obtain credit reports* sticky.) This is the information UK lenders see when you apply for a new credit card.

Yours is a common situation and provided that your answers on credit applications are consistent with what's recorded on your credit files, you should be fine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moggles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
zmzn
Old 09-04-2008, 9:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks Moggles, checked Equifax just yesterday in fact! They have my current address as my parents and as confirmed on the electoral roll for a few years there, with just one linked address. Experian has three linked addresses. Have three credit cards (combined limit 4000), a settled store card, and couple of mobile contracts; all payments were on time and my last application was Feb 2007. I clear in full each month and don't need credit, just wanting to take advantage of a cashback card, but given the tightening criteria, didn't want to risk a search/decline if my changing addresses made that likely!
# 11
Experian company representative
Old 10-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Has MSEs permission to post for company
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Couple of things:

You can be registered to vote at more than one address, but you can only vote once in each election.

When you move and register to vote at your new address, your new council will usually tell your old council to close off the registration at your old address. This is important as it helps thwart ID fraudters who might otherwise find it quite easy to apply for credit in your name at your previous address.

You can get a free fact sheet from Experian, that gives more advice and background on the electoral register and your credit report, from www.experian.co.uk/learningzone. It's one of the Credit Report Basics guides.

James
The Following User Says Thank You to Experian company representative For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
pineapple
Old 10-04-2008, 6:21 PM

Location: On a hillside oop North. Up in Bronte Country tha knows...
Default Electoral roll

I can't remember when I was last on the electoral roll. This has not caused me any problems, including the last mortgage which I took out 7 years ago. Maybe I've just been lucky?
# 13
Tori Bellatrix
Old 10-04-2008, 6:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've just moved and although I've applied to be on the ER at my new property, it's not showing on my credit files yet ... despite this, I have been approved for a new mobile contract and credit card in the last month (albeit not a 0% one) so it is possible ...
Tori Bellatrix

.:**:..:**:..:**:.
# 14
geri1965
Old 10-04-2008, 6:26 PM

I've only ever been refused credit once due to not being on the electoral register. I think it's one of the things you score points for though, and it could tip the balance.
# 15
paul2584
Old 10-04-2008, 6:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Edited Role

I am under the impression that there are two versions of the electoral role.

Does it make a difference if you opt out of being on the electoral register that gets sold? I'd prefer to keep my details private, will this affect my credit rating adversly?

Thanks for any info!
# 16
Tori Bellatrix
Old 10-04-2008, 7:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2584 View Post
I am under the impression that there are two versions of the electoral role.

Does it make a difference if you opt out of being on the electoral register that gets sold? I'd prefer to keep my details private, will this affect my credit rating adversly?

Thanks for any info!
No, it doesn't make any difference.

Credit agencies have access to the full register so if you choose to opt out of the edited register it wouldn't matter. The edited register is sold for mailshots, sales etc ....
Tori Bellatrix

.:**:..:**:..:**:.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tori Bellatrix For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
TRACYA
Old 10-04-2008, 10:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default credit check failed

I have just been told I was unsuccessful when a mail order company did a credit check on me and used Equifax. I do not have any adverse credit history that i am aware of and i am on the electoral role. someone said you can get a FREE CREDIT RATING/CHECK FROM EQUIFAX but they do not know where they got theirs from. Can anyone help please as wish to sort this asap? :confused:
# 18
Moggles
Old 10-04-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2584 View Post
I am under the impression that there are two versions of the electoral role. Does it make a difference if you opt out of being on the electoral register that gets sold? I'd prefer to keep my details private, will this affect my credit rating adversly?
Until 2001, the whole register was for sale. Now there are two lists, the edited register (which is sold to anyone who wants to buy and which may be viewed in a public library) and the full version (which isn't sold, but which may be inspected at a local electoral registration office.)

Ticking the box removes you from the list that's sold, but does not affect your credit rating because, as TB says, the credit reference agencies use the full version.

Btw, not being on the edited register can sometimes cause a problem if you apply for credit from a retailer. A firm, such as Comet or Currys for instance, may conduct its credit search using the edited register.
# 19
Moggles
Old 10-04-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRACYA View Post
I have just been told I was unsuccessful when a mail order company did a credit check on me and used Equifax. I do not have any adverse credit history that i am aware of and i am on the electoral role. Someone said you can get a FREE credit rating/check from EQUIFAX but they do not know where they got theirs from. Can anyone help please as wish to sort this asap? :confused:
That someone's got their terms a little muddled.

Lenders perform credit checks on potential customers and arrive at a credit rating.

You need to check your Equifax credit report. This is the information lenders search when you apply for credit facilities. Mistakes do happen. (For help, see the *How to obtain credit reports* sticky.)
# 20
rachelandgromit
Old 12-04-2008, 2:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Help!

I bought my house in Cheshire since October 2006, however am not living in it as its being renovated. This is mortgaged.

Since June 2006 - present I am actually living with my parents in Stoke on Trent.

Where should I be registered? Really confused :confused: