Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ahll
    • By ahll 11th Jan 08, 7:52 PM
    • 1,478Posts
    • 128Thanks
    ahll
    When 1st MOT due on new car
    • 11th Jan 08, 7:52 PM
    When 1st MOT due on new car 11th Jan 08 at 7:52 PM
    Hi,
    I bought a car a year or 2 ago and I was wondering if anyone knows when you have to get the car first MOT'd ?
    "The time is always right to do what is right"
Page 1
  • goldspanners
    • 11th Jan 08, 7:56 PM
    • 11th Jan 08, 7:56 PM
    Hi,
    I bought a car a year or 2 ago and I was wondering if anyone knows when you have to get the car first MOT'd ?
    Originally posted by ahll
    when did you buy it?
    what year is it?
    when was it first registered?

the car will be due 3 years after date of first registration.
    ...work permit granted!
    • ahll
    • By ahll 11th Jan 08, 8:09 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    ahll
    • 11th Jan 08, 8:09 PM
    • 11th Jan 08, 8:09 PM
    Oh it must be due now then but I havn't had a letter or anything !

10 Jan 05
  • goldspanners
    • 11th Jan 08, 8:17 PM
    • 11th Jan 08, 8:17 PM

10 Jan 05
    you wont get any letter,its only road tax that you get a reminder for.
    as above,its your job to maintain your own car not anyone elses.
    ...work permit granted!
  • goldspanners
    • 11th Jan 08, 8:18 PM
    • 11th Jan 08, 8:18 PM
    i wouldnt use the car until you get it motd.
    ...work permit granted!
  • tosca5
    • 11th Jan 08, 8:22 PM
    • 11th Jan 08, 8:22 PM
    I bought a new car in 02 and had it MOT'd the year after and every year since. Look after your car.
    • ahll
    • By ahll 11th Jan 08, 8:25 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    ahll
    • 11th Jan 08, 8:25 PM
    • 11th Jan 08, 8:25 PM
    I do look after my car....its a good job I asked
  • saintjanet
    • 11th Jan 08, 8:48 PM
    • 11th Jan 08, 8:48 PM
    Sorry to have to say this but anyone who does not know when and how often an MOT is required should not be driving on our roads.

Like insurance ,an MOT is your responsibility and ignorance is no defence if you are stopped by the police,I assume you have insurance because if you have no MOT and should have one, you could find the insurance is void,not very helpful if you happen to hit another vehicle.
    There are two sides to every story.
    I am not a SAINT just a saints supporter(saints RLFC)Grand final winners 2006.World club champions 2007.
    • ahll
    • By ahll 11th Jan 08, 9:14 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    ahll
    • 11th Jan 08, 9:14 PM
    • 11th Jan 08, 9:14 PM
    lol if your sorry to say this, then REALLY WHY BOTHER !

I didn't come on here to be insulted I took responsibiltiy by coming here and asking to find out as NO ONE had given me any information about this when I bought the car.

I wonder if you doing this make you sone how feel superior. Maybe its something you want to think about !

My mum would say if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all !
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 12th Jan 08, 12:24 AM
    • 3,136 Posts
    • 1,353 Thanks
    KeithP
    Ahll, I think some people get a little weary being expected to answer questions that could easily be answered with a little bit of research.
    For example, if you google when is mot due, the first item on the resultant list is... http://www.ukmot.com/next.asp?ID=52
  • saintjanet
    lol if your sorry to say this, then REALLY WHY BOTHER !

I didn't come on here to be insulted I took responsibiltiy by coming here and asking to find out as NO ONE had given me any information about this when I bought the car.

I wonder if you doing this make you sone how feel superior. Maybe its something you want to think about !

My mum would say if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all !
    Sorry you feel this way but i still think that to be a motorist you need to invest a bit of time and effort,if i had not said what i said,others reading this,with butterflies in their head,may have been unaware that you need an MOT,TAX,INSURANCE and to have your car serviced on a regular basis.One guy on another forum, thought that as he only did 2k miles a year ,his car would only need servicing every six years.He was serious too!!

I say again,should people like this really be on the road??To me this is having common sense not trying to be superior.
    Last edited by saintjanet; 12-01-2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: additions
    There are two sides to every story.
    I am not a SAINT just a saints supporter(saints RLFC)Grand final winners 2006.World club champions 2007.
    • anewman
    • By anewman 12th Jan 08, 10:57 AM
    • 8,773 Posts
    • 6,257 Thanks
    anewman
    One guy on another forum, thought that as he only did 2k miles a year ,his car would only need servicing every six years.He was serious too!!
    Originally posted by saintjanet
    The other thing we seem to get quite regular is people believing an MOT checks absolutely everything, and is a service. Seems to be quite a common misconception.

If anyone can't be bothered paying for servicing, my advice is buy a banger and a Haynes manual and a couple of tools.
  • Inactive

But this is the basics we are taliking here, nobody should even own a car if they do not first know the very basics about the legalities of owning one.
    • anewman
    • By anewman 12th Jan 08, 11:48 AM
    • 8,773 Posts
    • 6,257 Thanks
    anewman
    But this is the basics we are taliking here, nobody should even own a car if they do not first know the very basics about the legalities of owning one.
    Originally posted by Inactive
    It's probably a question on the theory test.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 12th Jan 08, 12:29 PM
    • 23,599 Posts
    • 49,970 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Ahll, I think some people get a little weary being expected to answer questions that could easily be answered with a little bit of research.
    For example, if you google when is mot due, the first item on the resultant list is... http://www.ukmot.com/next.asp?ID=52
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Totally fed up and astonished more like.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 12th Jan 08, 12:31 PM
    • 23,599 Posts
    • 49,970 Thanks
    LandyAndy

10 Jan 05

Even in Britain in 2008 you are still expected to do some things for yourself.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 12th Jan 08, 12:33 PM
    • 23,599 Posts
    • 49,970 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Sorry to have to say this but anyone who does not know when and how often an MOT is required should not be driving on our roads.

Like insurance ,an MOT is your responsibility and ignorance is no defence if you are stopped by the police,I assume you have insurance because if you have no MOT and should have one, you could find the insurance is void,not very helpful if you happen to hit another vehicle.
    Originally posted by saintjanet
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 12th Jan 08, 12:37 PM
    • 23,599 Posts
    • 49,970 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    The other thing we seem to get quite regular is people believing an MOT checks absolutely everything, and is a service. Seems to be quite a common misconception.

If anyone can't be bothered paying for servicing, my advice is buy a banger and a Haynes manual and a couple of tools.
    Originally posted by anewman
    My favourites are the ones who say something along the lines of:

'I bought my car second hand twelve years ago and now the tyres are bald. Can I get the price of replacements from the garage, because they said the tyres were fine when I bought it, or should I go straight to sueing the manufacturer?:rolleyes:
    • intranix
    • By intranix 12th Jan 08, 12:40 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    intranix
    To be fair, an MOT is not proof of road worthyness, and really in terms of law it is nothing but a ticket which the law says you should have.

Afterall, i expect some of you have less than 12 months left till the cars next mot during which next time your car could be much less than road worthy but can drive it "legally" in terms of the MOT, till the next one is due.

Give the girl a break guys.
  • goldspanners
    To be fair, an MOT is not proof of road worthyness, and really in terms of law it is nothing but a ticket which the law says you should have.

Afterall, i expect some of you have less than 12 months left till the cars next mot during which next time your car could be much less than road worthy but can drive it "legally" in terms of the MOT, till the next one is due.

Give the girl a break guys.
    Originally posted by intranix
    i would bet everyone who has an mot has less than 12 months on it,as it only lasts 12 months.(unless mot done this morning)
    and if you get your car motd,then service it 6 months later,and keep an ear out for theose little noises and investigate them when they happen,check tyres regularly,oil,water etc... you should find your car is in as good condition as it was last mot.maybe the odd advisory here or there but nothing too serious.
    ...work permit granted!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

2,541Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sainsbury £2.60 prosecco trick problems. We're on it, full updates tomorrow am will go here... https://t.co/ho7332Amg6

• Wishing @andrew_oxlade uber personal finance editor at the Telegraph, best of luck in his new job. Nice working with you Andrew.

• Ive obsessed. I've not missed my 10k daily target since 20 Sept (inc days with food poisoning and a minor op) https://t.co/FNmAXgYU6k

• Follow Martin