PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Decor/layout trends in your area

Options

Comments

• Amanda_Cm
    Options
    Penitent, I think exactly the same!!!
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Read a detailed blog yesterday around costs of a woodturner and if you buy about £600 of wood at a time you save about £30 a year vs gas, assuming you have space and facilities to store it/ dry it out in that significant volume. Otherwise the increased cost of buying in smaller batches means it costs a lot more than gas.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Not to mention research results are now coming out re the "passive smoking" effect of running a woodburner in the room...:cool:

Well I guess that's logical - if smoking is a health hazard, vaping is being proved to be a health hazard, conventional type candles are ditto....sounds like that equals "Anything burning is a health hazard - courtesy of what one breathes in".

Gas it is then....or electric...
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not to mention research results are now coming out re the "passive smoking" effect of running a woodburner in the room...:cool:.
    Not convinced.

Are you sure you don't mean the effect outdoors, especially in cities, as grumbled about recently by a certain Mr S Khan?

Properly installed wood burners have room-sealed flues, so the waste gases from the fire go up those. There should be no leakage into the house, where there should be a CO detector/alarm, which would go off if they did.
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Options
    Oh yeah, fake grass is an increasing thing around here. Our neighbour has it.
  • vicki2221
    vicki2221 Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In Tunbridge Wells there is a trend for the owners of Victorian town houses painting their front doors in either French Gray, Pigeon or Card Room Green from Farrow and Ball. With large lollipop bay trees on each side of the door.
    Save £12k in 2018 #130 - £1200/£7,000
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think it's that much of a revelation that there are trends in interior and exterior design and architecture in the same way as there are in fashion, albeit with a longer lifecycle. Nor is it that new to be able to make certain inferences about the socio-economic group, even ethnicity of the property-owner from their interior and exterior design, in just the same way as you do from the clothes they wear or the car they drive.

However, form also follows function, therefore to use the OP's example, the best method of efficiently utilising a full-width rear kitchen/diner extension is to follow the layout pictured. It's the same reasons all modern cars are roughly the same wedge shape with a wheel at each corner - it's because it works.
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Options
    Minkybob wrote: »

Where I used to live (and I think this is true for the majority of West London) expensive properties seem to always have classical interiors eg; http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42788781.html , I don't like it personally, but would never afford it so it doesn't matter!
    Wow, just looked at that and it is all the money and none of the taste!

Vicki2221 - there's quite a few grey/sage front doors with lollipop box trees either side round our way, too.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Current trends seems to be cartwheels and gnomes outside, poems about love and family on the walls, the odd St George’s flag and aggressive signs in windows about junk mail and cold callers.

God I’m such a snob...
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well I’m a self confessed snob too......:rotfl:

Thanks for the laugh this morning. Here’s my take.....just my outrageous snobby opinion of course.:rotfl:

Hate “blingy” houses.......don’t care how much they have spent, .they just look tacky.

The Essex house.....furniture placed round the edge of room......looks like a drs waiting room.

The Midlands grey and white........cold and depressing. Totally lacking any warmth or charm.

Pet hates.......bricked up fireplaces, rear gardens which have been paved over and front gardens which have been turned into car parks.

I do get that sometimes you need to make provision for parking if you can but not the whole frontage.......leave a bit of greenery. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure