Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 6th Feb 18, 6:45 PM
    • 141Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Outsider_83
    Healthy Breakfasts
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:45 PM
    Healthy Breakfasts 6th Feb 18 at 6:45 PM
    Hi All,
    I'm trying to lose weight and I thought breakfast might be a good place to start. I'm looking something filling and healthy that isn't too expensive and it should be quick to make as I don't have much time in the morning. I'm a creature of habit and below is my current breakfast menu but I'm told this is unhealthy :

1. Glass of pure orange.
    2. Quaker oats porridge in honey mixed with milk. This comes in sachet format and goes into the microwave for two minutes.
    3. Two Spar pancakes with butter and syrup.
    4. One instant cup of coffee.

Any recommendations would be great.
Page 1
    • yllop1101
    • By yllop1101 6th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    yllop1101
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    Heyy,
    Whoever said that was unhealthy is right, have you totalled up the calories and particular how much sugar is probably in that? Particularly from the spar pancakes, OJ and honey. Although some of it is natural sugar, it's still calories.

If you really enjoy your porridge, add some berries and fruit to make it more substantial.

Otherwise, eggs (poached, boiled, scrambled) and wholemeal toast is a really good option- eggs are high in protein and good fats, and the carbohydrates in the toast will help fill you up too. You could add some tomatoes or mushrooms, and a little bit of cheese for flavour.

Scrambling eggs in the microwave takes 2 minutes, probably the same amount of time as porridge!
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 6th Feb 18, 8:27 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 38,592 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:27 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:27 PM
    If you want orange then go for a fresh one which has fibre rather than orange juice which is sadly, yet more sugar!
    Better fruit are berries or even a green apple
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ...840MM (84p) + RK 7p= 91pence
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 6th Feb 18, 9:23 PM
    • 4,134 Posts
    • 9,202 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:23 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:23 PM
    I second boiled egg on toast, I cook a couple at night for the morning. Or what about beans on toast.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 6th Feb 18, 10:28 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 4,249 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:28 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:28 PM
    That really is a big breakfast. And actually quite expensive and time consuming!!

My normal breakfast is a mug of tea and a slice of wholemeal toast spread with real butter. Sometimes I'll have cereal instead (muesli with a banana and natural yogurt on it).

Just a question - why does it need to be filling? You don't have to feel full all the time. It's not a feeling that I enjoy.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 6th Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    • 2,343 Posts
    • 6,466 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    Get a big bag of porridge oats rather than paying extra to have it put into sachets for you, and add your own honey, fruit and nuts to your porridge each morning. Have enough that you feel full and don't need to have the unhealthy and unfilling pancakes too! Carry a banana in case you get hungry before lunch.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Feb 18, 11:37 PM
    • 13,559 Posts
    • 17,787 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:37 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:37 PM
    Hi All,
    I'm trying to lose weight and I thought breakfast might be a good place to start. I'm looking something filling and healthy that isn't too expensive and it should be quick to make as I don't have much time in the morning. I'm a creature of habit and below is my current breakfast menu but I'm told this is unhealthy :

1. Glass of pure sugar.
    2. Quaker oats porridge in sugar mixed with milk. This comes in sachet format and goes into the microwave for two minutes.
    3. Two Spar pancakes with butter and sugar.
    4. One instant cup of coffee. With sugar?

Any recommendations would be great.
    Originally posted by Outsider_83
    Cut down on the sugar!
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 7th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    • 4,134 Posts
    • 9,202 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:49 AM

Just a question - why does it need to be filling? You don't have to feel full all the time. It's not a feeling that I enjoy.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    That is a good point actually How long is it before you can eat again? If you are out at work how long before tea break? I have my breakfast at 7.30 when I get to work. (start at 8.00) then tea break at 10.30 by which time I am hungry again I will admit.

Weekend (and annual leave like now) is different of course and I can scoff as often as I want
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 7th Feb 18, 9:58 AM
    • 3,336 Posts
    • 8,086 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:58 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:58 AM
    Get a big bag of porridge oats rather than paying extra to have it put into sachets for you, and add your own honey, fruit and nuts to your porridge each morning. Have enough that you feel full and don't need to have the unhealthy and unfilling pancakes too! Carry a banana in case you get hungry before lunch.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel

you could measure out the portion of oats in the evening as well as the milk so all you have to do is mix the two together in a bowl and then microwave as normal.

I personally am following SW and have 40g of shreddies with a yogurt and fruit mixed in. Again weigh the cereal the night before and, for cost, I defrost a portion of fruit overnight. Keeps me going until lunch time.

The other thing I would look at is your portion size.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 7th Feb 18, 10:20 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    I suppose an immediate easy win would be to have a glass of water instead of the pure orange juice.

My coffee does not have any sugar in it.

In terms of quantity, "filling" maybe the wrong word, I like something to keep me going until my tea break at 10:30.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 7th Feb 18, 10:56 AM
    • 10,571 Posts
    • 27,509 Thanks
    suki1964
    I suppose an immediate easy win would be to have a glass of water instead of the pure orange juice.

My coffee does not have any sugar in it.

In terms of quantity, "filling" maybe the wrong word, I like something to keep me going until my tea break at 10:30.
    Originally posted by Outsider_83
    That would keep me going all day till dinner tbh, but that's just me

As others have said, that's a pure sugar/carb fest, short term filler upper, starving again two hours later. What do you eat at 10:30?

Swap the sugars for protein. An egg is good.

Normal cheap unadulterated porridge oats take the same time to cook in the microwave as those sachets. Add fruits instead of the honey. A banana with some nuts is nice as well

My favourite breakfast isn't cheap, but only takes a few minutes , is kippers, either in a bag or a tin. 2 mins in the micro and done. Add some bread and butter and there's no eating again till lunchtime
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 7th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    • 8,941 Posts
    • 13,728 Thanks
    worried jim
    Two eggs scrambled, no sugar, glass of water or black coffe. Sugar free start to the day.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 7th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    Cotta
    Scrabbled eggs seems rather filling and not a particularly fast item to make, coupled with the fact that bread along with this is going to compound food intake.
    • M30
    • By M30 7th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    M30
    I would recommend drinking a glass of water when you wake up. (our bodies are naturally dehydrated after the 8hr sleep) you will then feel that your not actually that hungry.

Porridge is great for breakfast - add in a few berries/banana (peanut butter if you like it - i find it filling)
    Smoothie, weetabix etc
    you could even have bacon and eggs - just don't have bread!
    • Ames
    • By Ames 7th Feb 18, 12:00 PM
    • 16,886 Posts
    • 29,566 Thanks
    Ames
    What's your job? If you're doing hard physical work then a big carb loaded breakfast probably makes sense. If you're doing a desk job then not so much.

You can make proper porridge in a mug in the microwave just as easily as the sachets, but without the added sugar they have.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 7th Feb 18, 12:03 PM
    • 7,304 Posts
    • 10,301 Thanks
    KxMx
    I'm hungry again soon after a satisfying breakfast (slice of toast plus grapes) but simply don't eat until lunchtime.

I don't need to eat in between so i don't...

It's okay to be hungry, most of the time for me it's my brain asking not a genuine need from my body.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 7th Feb 18, 12:36 PM
    • 8,134 Posts
    • 8,373 Thanks
    pogofish
    you could measure out the portion of oats in the evening as well as the milk so all you have to do is mix the two together in a bowl and then microwave as normal.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Or you could use the convience method favoured by generations of Scottish farmers/housewives.

Once a week, make up a big pan of slightly thicker than normal porridge, using just water, pour the mix in to a drawer and let it set.

Then every morning, cut-out a chunk and heat it up ith a little milk or water and anything else you want to add with a bit of stirring, or if you want a change, try frying a slice.

Surprisingly delicious - esp in bacon fat!

Also, slices can be cut and taken with you as a 'piece' to snack-on. So no need for expensive "cereal bars" and no more fat, sugar or salt than you feel you need to add yourself
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 7th Feb 18, 12:48 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 3,235 Thanks
    sheramber
    Get porridge oats, cook with water and a pinch of salt. Eat with added skimmed milk. You can put the oats on a pan and measure out the water the night before so you only have to cook it in the morning.

Add berries or a banana but not honey or sugar.

Oatabix with skimmed milk- or semi skimmed milk.

Put a slice of wholemeal bread in the toaster and it will cook while you are eating the cereal/porridge.
    Better for you and more satisfying than pancakes.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 7th Feb 18, 1:25 PM
    • 2,433 Posts
    • 2,049 Thanks
    donnac2558
    Plain porridge, very filling.
    • no.1swimmum
    • By no.1swimmum 7th Feb 18, 1:59 PM
    • 1,412 Posts
    • 3,873 Thanks
    no.1swimmum
    I just use plain oats, but find plain porridge quite hard going, so normally add some fruit I have it with skimmed milk and a few frozen raspberries put them in the bowl in the microwave for a minute and a half, stirring half way through, keeps me going until lunchtime - and a lot cheaper than the satchets of porridge.
    Fibro-Warrior
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

203Posts Today

2,172Users online

Martin's Twitter