Attempt to transfer to Vodaofne, a cautionary tale!

So, £20 a month for unlimited fibre with Voadfone looked like a great deal. I was nearly at the end of the BT contract, and they were hiking prices, rang retention's got nowhere so I decided to move my service.

Given a start date of 9th Jan, box arrived, quidco tracked, all going to plan. Right up until the 9th when I plugged the new box in and it didn't work. Rang V to be told it hadn't gone through for unspecified reason which they knew on the 5th and 'someone should have let me know' but they had taken over the landline and that the broadband would be sorted shortly. Promised an urgent update within 72 hours.

Rang BT who said nothing had moved because V hadn't filled the right forms in. Plugged BT box back in, worked for an hour and then we magically developed a fault which BT fixed some days later.

No update from V so I chased, no information available but someone would call me urgently within 72 hours. Again they didn't so I rang and cancelled - they still couldn't give me a firm date but they would give me some extra mobile data onto my mobile contract - great if you get a signal at home but sadly I get a trickle at best. Text to confirm cancellation,no charges, apology, etc.

BT agreed a reasonable retention deal so I agreed a new 12 month contract with them. Had an odd letter today saying that my service was ending on 17th and to contact them by 15th if I didn't want it to. Can't time travel, and anyway I agreed the new deal on the 16th and had had a text to confirm it. Then the broadband stopped working, and oh I cant dial out on the landline. BT say that Vodafone only half cancelled so I am now not in contract with anybody, had to set up as new account which means a delay before we have a functioning land line (tomorrow) and Friday at the earliest for Broadband. BT cant ignore a V request nor can the customer override it, V have to cancel it.

Contacted Vodafone who say that they did cancel but only the landline as they never gave notice on the broadband but beyond that they can't help. No landline, no broadband. BT say this is simply not true as the landline has never moved, or they wouldnt have sent the engineer to fix the fault! V have told them one thing and openreach another, and it isn't as simple as switch me back on sadly.

I get that companies have problems and things don't always go to plan, nor am I a fan of BT, but the complete lack of communication or willingness to take ownership of the issue by Vodafone has been shocking. I am long standing customer with a fairly high spend mobile bill (self-employed) so you'd think they would have made a bit more of an effort at actual customer service. The individual staff I spoke to couldn't have been nicer or more helpful, but they couldn't actually resolve the problem.

I'm now stuck in limbo with no broadband internet thanks to Vodafone - which is great when you supposedly work from home. I have two teenage boys who are acting like they have had their heads cut off :cool: and I have completely lost the ability to have any sense of humour whatsoever about the misinformation and barriers to sorting this mess out.

I have changed providers several times before without a problem, and I am always nice to people on the phone so it isn't my fault!

In short: Don't touch Vodafone home broadband with a barge pole . It simply isn't worth the stress or inconvenience.

Comments

• ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It's stories like this which make many people sceptical about how "easy" it is to switch providers. Particularly when utilities and broadband are essentials it can seem "easier" to simply stay on an uncompetitive deal with the existing supplier.

I also recently changed to Vodafone's £20/month deal, switching from BT near the end of my contract. It went smoothly compared with yours, but I was still left without service for best part of a day as BT switched off their service at the midnight preceding the changeover day, and the Vodafone service didn't come online until the evening.
  • By comparison my previous 3 transfers were easy,no service for a few hours is a minor niggle usually. If Vodafone had simply let me know and said it would be x date then I'd have waited and not worried about it. Its the lack of communication that wound me up!
  • ScoobyZ
    ScoobyZ Posts: 487 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Yep don't put people off, I've just gone from Virgin to BT.

Really easy and I had an overlap of a about 5 days in case something went wrong.

I have been with Virgin over 20 years, but it seemed that 10 years of threatening to leave they stopped believing me so wasn't getting offer much of a deal to stay :)
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Hi redofromstart,

I can appreciate your frustration over the delay experienced with the transfer of your broadband.

If you still need some help with this, please email us via the form here.

To access the form you'll need to enter the code EFT195.

As well as stating your query in the question box, please also quote "MSE Forum".

Once sent, you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post it on here and I'll check that it's been received.

Kind regards,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Thanks Lee - I've sent the detail through as requested.
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    You're welcome redofromstart.

If this remains unresolved, please update the thread with your email reference number from our automated reply so this can be chased up for you.

Kind regards,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Vodafone changed my phone number without telling me, luckily they sorted it. But i have 2 landline numbers on my bill now?

They told me my Fibre BB would be faster because they put 2 pipes into the exchange and its actually slower, never had so many disconnections in all the years i have had BB.

And now they are overcharging me. Vodafone are becoming a pain in the whatsit.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Vodafone wrote: »
    You're welcome redofromstart.

If this remains unresolved, please update the thread with your email reference number from our automated reply so this can be chased up for you.

Kind regards,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media

Lee, no reply to my original complaint of 22nd Jan, or the one I did via your form on 26th.

Reference was #17920951
  • Vodafone changed my phone number without telling me, luckily they sorted it. But i have 2 landline numbers on my bill now?

They told me my Fibre BB would be faster because they put 2 pipes into the exchange and its actually slower, never had so many disconnections in all the years i have had BB.

And now they are overcharging me. Vodafone are becoming a pain in the whatsit.

Maybe time to vote with your feet? I am sure they provide an excellent service to some people but the customer service when things go wrong isn't exactly inspiring confidence.
  • Lee, no reply to my original complaint of 22nd Jan, or the one I did via your form on 26th.

Reference was #17920951

Still no response from 22nd Jan contact or 26th Jan contact.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure