IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Party Plan
Views: 105,809
# 1
Aggie
Old 16-10-2007, 11:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Party Plan

I can't believe in a forum on upping your income, no-one has mentioned party plan organisations. I do 2 at the moment, the Body Shop at Home (like the Body Shop on the high-street, but direct selling in peoples homes) and Creative Memories (photoalbums and storage options, scrapbooking etc), but there are many companies out there. All pay commission on sales and give a discount for personal use.

You are effectively self-employed, so choose your hours and can easily fit around children or another job.

Its a great way to make extra cash, and in my case get a discount on products I would use anyway!

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 30-10-2007 at 7:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aggie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
angie54321
Old 17-10-2007, 7:34 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I agree, for example I work with a perfume company, (FM Perfumes), and party plan is one of the easiest ways to make extra money. I generally make about 90 profit, for a few hours work - and the work is fun anyway! And you can fit in around everything else you do.

As you say Aggie, there are loads of party plan companies out there, it is just a matter of choosing one who's products you really like.
The Following User Says Thank You to angie54321 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
jane130
Old 17-10-2007, 8:06 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

the only drawback to most of them I have found is that you have to pay them to get started , so make sure you don't already have a good agent already in your area and that you have a few people lined up to host parties before you pay any money.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jane130 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
LizD
Old 17-10-2007, 9:12 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Partylite do candles and accessories and I don't think you have to pay upfront - they take it out of your commission.
Virgin Vie Cosmetics and Jewellery also do party plan. I did it for a while but didn't like their working practises, so I gave it up. I think they've changed a lot of their policies now though.

http://www.partylite.co.uk/

http://www.virginvieathome.com/public/index.asp
The Following User Says Thank You to LizD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Mrs L
Old 17-10-2007, 9:52 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I do !!!!!!!! parties which is skincare and cosmetics, I earn about 60 for every 200 worth of products that I sell. There is also the opportunity to sell via catalogue dropping.
As the other posts you are self employed so choose your own hours. You get out what you put in.
It is free to register with !!!!!!!!, if you want to sell by catalogue you just pay for them which is 18 per hundred. You buy your party kit but if you sell enough in the next 2 months you will get it refunded.
If anyone would like more information about this I would be happy to give more details.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs L For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
jane130
Old 17-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

with partylite you don't get commisson on the first 300 you sell to cover the cost of the kit. Most peole manage to do that in their first party if they invite enough people and are pushy enough !!
The Following User Says Thank You to jane130 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
jessicamb
Old 17-10-2007, 1:27 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

My mum did loads of party plan when I was little in the 80s - she found it was the best way to fit in childcare with earning a decent income.

I think you have to have a bit of salesmanship in you though - I've been to quite a few Virgin Vie parties where there is next to no "selling" - if I was the consultant I would be going round telling people what suited them and what a great price it was
The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
The Following User Says Thank You to jessicamb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
overdrawn30
Old 17-10-2007, 5:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Talking PartyLite

I have been doing PartyLite since June this year as I wanted to earn extra money to help with the debt that i have built up, but it was attractive as I had used the products previously, there were no initial costs and the compensation/commission plan was very straightforward.

1. You sign up and get given 300 of free products, PLUS all the forms, catalogues and stationery that you will need for the first 6-7 parties on average.

2. You hold a "Starter Show". This is designed to get you up-and-running and as a previous poster has said, you don't earn anything on the first 300 as this covers the kit you are given, most parties manage to clear 300 - I got 307 which meant I keep the original kit plus I also received another 7 of free product.

3. Once you have 'done' 300 in sales, you then receive 20% commission paid weekly for each show. If you hit 1,200 in any one month (which in some cases isn't hard) you get an additional 5% commission paid at the end of the month.

As an illustration, if you 'do' 1,200 in your second month and have already cleared the kit @ 300 you would receive 300 in wages for that Month (1,200 @ 20% = 240, plus 5% of 1,200 = 60)

Once you have sold 800 you are classed as "qualified" and can then purchase other products and wax at 40% discount.

I had a month off in September due to holidays and other personal commitments, but I am earning, on average 160 a month for 4 nights a month work, I have earnt more in some months than others, but on average 160 per month.

Let me know if you want further details on this
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to overdrawn30 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
hemc
Old 17-10-2007, 7:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

See I can not see how partylite makes the money as I think the products are soooo overpriced I went to one this week which took 250 but I was pushed to be able to afford anything at all.

On the other hand I went to a chocholics party and the stuff was fantastic values and the agent took loads of money I have been thinking about doing it but I am very happy with phoenix-trading at the moment as there is no pressure or targets on me which suits my mother/student life!!!!!!!!!
c x
The Following User Says Thank You to hemc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
gbatey
Old 17-10-2007, 9:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I do Ann Summers parties and work once or twice a week. Past couple of weekends I have done two parties an earnt close to 300 quid; it is commission based so if you don't sell you don't make anything but this hasn't happened yet touch wood!
Trying to climb back and stay on the Slimming World wagon
# 11
DFWJane
Old 17-10-2007, 10:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Avon / FM

Hi, I do Avon and FM.

Avon are not known for party planning but like anything else you just take a good sample of products and hopefully get some good orders! You have to time them right though as the brochure changes every 3 weeks. My main money is from brochure drops and regular customers, a little from sales leadership but that is quite hard if you don't have a lot of time. Commission is up to 25%.

I have also just started FM and must admit people are keener to have a party for this as it's new. I have also got hold of a great party format too and I'm keen to try it out - 2 parties booked in and more to confirm! The demo kit is just a small leather look zipped folder with 100 fragrance samples which people can try, so I don't have to lug crates of stuff about with this one. It's flexible and you can order when you like. This pays up to 33% commission.

I'd be happy to answer any questions on either.
# 12
nicci985
Old 18-10-2007, 9:17 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemc View Post
On the other hand I went to a chocholics party and the stuff was fantastic values and the agent took loads of money I have been thinking about doing it but I am very happy with phoenix-trading at the moment as there is no pressure or targets on me which suits my mother/student life!!!!!!!!!
c x
Can anyone point me in the right direction for more information about chocolics parties or what phoenix trading is?

Please feel free to PM me.

Nicci
Member #192 1% at a time club: 1% = 20 so far: 21%
# 13
Baxtergirl
Old 18-10-2007, 11:06 AM
MoneySaving Convert

hi i am also interested in both these but would like more info i live in cumbria and dont think they go around here never heard of them so might be good to start up thanks
# 14
nicci985
Old 18-10-2007, 1:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxtergirl View Post
hi i am also interested in both these but would like more info i live in cumbria and dont think they go around here never heard of them so might be good to start up thanks
I live in Cumbria as well! I've moved here 4 months ago from a large town from Essex!

I'm interested in them as I didn't even hear of them there so competition must be low.

Unless you live in Kendal!

Nicci
Member #192 1% at a time club: 1% = 20 so far: 21%
# 15
full-time-mum
Old 19-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've done both Tupperware and The Body Shop at Home in the past and, whilst I earned a bit of pocket money for a while (especially around Xmas), I just couldn't get the parties and it fizzled out.

I also had to travel miles to sales meetings (30-40 miles on various occaisions). I swapped from Tupperware to TBS as there was a very local group. 7 days after my training, my team leader left and I was back to 30-40 miles as all the other girls in her team chose to quit too.

I really enjoyed doing the parties and there are some tricks for maximising income but it was just too difficult and I never made anything like the claimed income.

I now have a garage full of body shop and tupperware products
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to full-time-mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Peter Pan
Old 19-10-2007, 1:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It may be worth seeing if the companies you are with allow door to door selling as well, finding regular partys so that you have a predicted income would be hard on its own i would think so wouldn't it be great if you could pop a few brochures through doors in your area when parties were slack?
# 17
DFWJane
Old 20-10-2007, 12:27 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pan View Post
It may be worth seeing if the companies you are with allow door to door selling as well, finding regular partys so that you have a predicted income would be hard on its own i would think so wouldn't it be great if you could pop a few brochures through doors in your area when parties were slack?
In response to this, I do FM door to door, party plan, networking etc. You can really see what suits you as there is no set format. There is noone on your back to meet targets etc, you just have to want to do it and have motivation.
The Following User Says Thank You to DFWJane For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
BarmyCow
Old 20-10-2007, 3:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'd never heard of Chocoholics parties before so looked them up and gave them a ring this morning. They are very nice but advise that they don't operate in the same way as Avon for example - you are not an agent for the company, you are self employed. This doesn't mean that you have to pay up front or anything but they basically said that I would struggle to do this as well as a full time job, as you need to invest quite a lot of time as you are basically running your own business.

Not trying to deter anyone, but it might be useful to know if you are considering doing this.
I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.......
The Following User Says Thank You to BarmyCow For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
anewman
Old 20-10-2007, 6:21 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I've never understood why people organise these sorts of things, but if it makes you money and everyone's happy good on ya.
# 20
Steve-o
Old 20-10-2007, 7:31 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by full-time-mum View Post
I now have a garage full of body shop and tupperware products
Erm, what Tupperware products? I've been searching around stores for handy containers to take different foods to Uni in, without much luck (they are either too big, or the wrong shape). I might take a few things off your hands, if they are what I'm looking for.