Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 12th Jan 18, 2:28 PM
    • 1,690Posts
    • 1,917Thanks
    Kim_13
    O2 Classic Pay as You Go - cheaper from 18th Jan
    • 12th Jan 18, 2:28 PM
    O2 Classic Pay as You Go - cheaper from 18th Jan 12th Jan 18 at 2:28 PM
    O2 is slashing the price of calls, texts and data on its pay-as-you-go tariff by up to 80%...
    Thanks to Kim_13 for flagging the changes. Read the full story:
    'O2 to slash pay-as-you-go prices'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

---

Mum is a customer and just had a text saying that from the 18th, calls will be 3p per minute, texts will be 2p and data will be 1p per MB - in effect matching Three's offering.

They say there's no need to do anything - the rates will kick in automatically.

This is a reduction from the flat 5p per unit charging structure at present.
    Last edited by MSE Megan F; 19-01-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £0/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £8.00/£180.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
Page 1
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 12th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 12th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    Yes, I've just got the same text. Great news!
    • melbury
    • By melbury 12th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 9,917 Posts
    • 15,164 Thanks
    melbury
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    That's brilliant, my OH and I have just joined 02 Classic PAYG and I thought the 5p was very good, but this is great
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

• MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 16th Jan 18, 2:50 PM
    • 8,879 Posts
    • 21,291 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 16th Jan 18, 2:50 PM
    • 16th Jan 18, 2:50 PM
    Thank you for posting this Kim_13, it was your post that flagged it up initially, our news team investigated and wrote it up as a news story.

Keep them coming
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 16th Jan 18, 2:59 PM
    • 1,912 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 16th Jan 18, 2:59 PM
    • 16th Jan 18, 2:59 PM
    Make sure you are fully aware of the numbers that are and are not charged at the cheaper rate. There are plenty of catches for the unwary.
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 16th Jan 18, 3:31 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    virgo17
    • 16th Jan 18, 3:31 PM
    • 16th Jan 18, 3:31 PM
    Looking at the terms and conditions, they state that a top up (min £10) must be made every six months. If this is enforced, it will mirror the model used by Telefonica, their parent company in Spain. In the Spanish market, making a chargeable call does not count towards preventing suspension, a six monthly top up is required.

It will be interesting to see if this is actually implemented in UK. Although O2 staff say not, it will be interesting to see what transpires.
    • d123
    • By d123 16th Jan 18, 3:55 PM
    • 6,885 Posts
    • 4,404 Thanks
    d123
    • 16th Jan 18, 3:55 PM
    • 16th Jan 18, 3:55 PM
    Looking at the terms and conditions, they state that a top up (min £10) must be made every six months. If this is enforced, it will mirror the model used by Telefonica, their parent company in Spain. In the Spanish market, making a chargeable call does not count towards preventing suspension, a six monthly top up is required.

It will be interesting to see if this is actually implemented in UK. Although O2 staff say not, it will be interesting to see what transpires.
    Originally posted by virgo17
    Where have you seen that? a quick scan of the T&Cís showing on their website shows:

7. Our Rights to Bar or Disconnect Your Mobile Phone

7.1. If you do not carry out any chargeable activity at least once in any 6 month period your Mobile Phone will be disconnected and you will lose any remaining credits balance on your Account. If you wish to be re-connected after this time you will be given a new Mobile Phone number.
    https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/on-pay-and-go-our-service-terms-are-worth-a-read#bm-our-rights-to-bar-or-disconnect-your-mobile-phone
    ====
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 16th Jan 18, 4:27 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    virgo17
    • 16th Jan 18, 4:27 PM
    • 16th Jan 18, 4:27 PM
    @d123

From the o2 web site:-

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go

"If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on your account. If you want to be reconnected you'll be given a new mobile number."
    • d123
    • By d123 16th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    • 6,885 Posts
    • 4,404 Thanks
    d123
    • 16th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    • 16th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    @d123

From the o2 web site:-

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go

"If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on your account. If you want to be reconnected you'll be given a new mobile number."
    That isnít the terms and conditions, itís a help page, I would be more inclined to think thatís just a badly written webpage (not surprising this is o2 being discussed), that term doesnít appear anywhere in the t&cís.
    ====
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 16th Jan 18, 4:45 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    virgo17
    That isnít the terms and conditions, itís a help page, I would be more inclined to think thatís just a badly written webpage (not surprising this is o2 being discussed), that term doesnít appear anywhere in the t&cís.
    Originally posted by d123
    I know. It's bizarre and typical of the way O2 do things. Hence the reason why I said "if this is enforced" and "It will be interesting to see if this is actually implemented". Depends, I suppose, if they are going to modify the actual T&C's for this tariff.

At least people reading this will be aware of the ambiguity and draw their own conclusions about whether to commit.
    • d123
    • By d123 16th Jan 18, 5:04 PM
    • 6,885 Posts
    • 4,404 Thanks
    d123
    I know. It's bizarre and typical of the way O2 do things. Hence the reason why I said "if this is enforced" and "It will be interesting to see if this is actually implemented". Depends, I suppose, if they are going to modify the actual T&C's for this tariff.

At least people reading this will be aware of the ambiguity and draw their own conclusions about whether to commit.
    You agree to the T&Cís when you join, not the help pages. O2 would be in a bit of bother if they were to disconnect a user who had made a chargeable action within that 6 months prior to disconnection.

It more like the work experience lad who made that web page is clueless, heíll probably be on the o2 board in a couple of years .
    ====
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 16th Jan 18, 5:25 PM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Mum has not topped up her account since December 2016, so a chargeable activity every 6 months would appear to be the criteria that they are enforcing at present, rather than a top up.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £0/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £8.00/£180.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • ask66
    • By ask66 16th Jan 18, 7:41 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    ask66
    Last summer, when I was looking to change provider, I emailed the CEO of O2 and have a clear reply that you don’t need to top up every 6 months, you just have to use the phone for a chargeable call/text/data once every 6 months. I mentioned the confusing wording on the website and they assured me that their email was correct, regardless of what it said on the website. That's good enough for me!
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 16th Jan 18, 10:38 PM
    • 1,912 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    Ian011
    Given that was six months ago, it is clear that O2 have failed to follow this up internally and get the wording fixed.
    • d123
    • By d123 17th Jan 18, 12:30 PM
    • 6,885 Posts
    • 4,404 Thanks
    d123
    Given that was six months ago, it is clear that O2 have failed to follow this up internally and get the wording fixed.
    Originally posted by Ian011
    As itís o2, thatís not really surprising, is it?
    ====
    • SPalin
    • By SPalin 18th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    SPalin

They are run as separate businesses - despite the common overarching ownership. The Spanish business isn't even branded O2.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,306Posts Today

9,819Users online

Martin's Twitter