Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 2,789Posts
    • 19,184Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 1
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:24 AM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 19,184 Thanks
    JIL
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:24 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:24 AM
    I made salmon, bought before Christmas and frozen, it had a cheese and chive filling in it, with baby potatoes also bought before Christmas, tomatoes baked with the salmon, green beans and broccoli.

Three brandy snaps for afters.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 10th Jan 18, 12:34 AM
    • 10,328 Posts
    • 26,307 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:34 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:34 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be brought back.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Originally posted by JIL

I'd love to tell you all about my lamb casserole, only I had chicken madras

I think it was Kerri having the lamb
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:53 AM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 19,184 Thanks
    JIL
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:53 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:53 AM
    My apologies, I was never very good with names. I hope your Madras was good and I hope Kerri enjoyed her lamb. (Insert embarrassed smiley)
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 10th Jan 18, 12:58 AM
    • 10,328 Posts
    • 26,307 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:58 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:58 AM
    My apologies, I was never very good with names. I hope your Madras was good and I hope Kerri enjoyed her lamb. (Insert embarrassed smiley)
    Originally posted by JIL
    No worries

My madras wasn't one of my best tbh. Mum has decided anything stronger then bland is going to poison her so for me it was pretty bleurgh
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 10th Jan 18, 6:46 AM
    • 2,285 Posts
    • 34,906 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:46 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:46 AM
    Lamb, Salmon, Madras - who cares - they all sound lush

We are having HM burgers from freezer stash, with Sweet Potato fries, HM Coleslaw, no bun and only a couple of fries for me - will add a slice of Stilton as we still have a far bit, and add a salad to mine

I stopped adding pics as I thought it might have been bulking out the thread too much, and it still disappeared
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

January GC £250.00/157.00
    • karcher
    • By karcher 10th Jan 18, 7:06 AM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 15,154 Thanks
    karcher
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:06 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:06 AM

We are having HM burgers from freezer stash, with Sweet Potato fries, HM Coleslaw, no bun and only a couple of fries for me - will add a slice of Stilton as we still have a far bit, and add a salad to mine

I stopped adding pics as I thought it might have been bulking out the thread too much, and it still disappeared
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    I miss your pics IM.

I wonder why the thread was deleted this time?
    • C J
    • By C J 10th Jan 18, 8:37 AM
    • 922 Posts
    • 5,650 Thanks
    C J
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:37 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:37 AM
    Yes, it's a shame that the thread disappeared, I found it a valuable resource when I needed some inspiration!

Tonight we are having a penne pasta, tomato, red pepper and sausage cheesy bake thing (aka: 'using up some bits which need using up'), with pears in chocolate sauce for pud.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 10th Jan 18, 9:41 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 4,257 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:41 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:41 AM
    Last night we had a lovely roast chicken dinner, with roasted sweet potatoes instead of normal spuds. There's enough chicken left for a sandwich for lunch and the rest will be used in a sweet and sour stir fry tonight.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Jan 18, 9:47 AM
    • 6,755 Posts
    • 48,012 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Originally posted by JIL
    I did have lamb casserole - actually it was a portion of the one I made that I wasn't overly impressed with - had bought some stewing lamb from Asda but most of the weight was bone and very little lamb. Thought I'd used it all up but found a portion of casserole in the freezer. Anyway, had that with some rice / quinoa I'd opened the night before and some petit pois. So kind of a casserole soup (I'm sure there's a posh gastropub term for it that would cost a fortune on the menu). Filled a gap and made a gap in the freezer.

For pud I had some LO stewed peaches that were going to be a cobbler and never got cobbled (portion from the freezer) and some raspberries.

If Admin are going to archive the threads due to length (though I'm sure the old one wasn't that big) it would be nice to have some kind of pre-warning / notification so we could at least set up a new thread and put a link on the old one. (JIL thanks for setting this one up)

No idea about tonight - OH wants to do his own as he's still under the weather so he'll prob have soup. I have lots of stuff in the freezer that needs making into something so if I'm going to do that, I'll need to decide and get something out to defrost - it's very hard to brown a block of frozen mince
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Jan 18, 9:51 AM
    • 11,144 Posts
    • 155,335 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lunch today will be Wartime Oatmeal Soup with chicken for me and a sandwich with haslet for He Who Knows and supper this evening will be Wartime Vegetable Mince (minced beef and tomato sauce on steamed veg) followed by baked apples with mincemeat and custard.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 10th Jan 18, 10:04 AM
    • 10,328 Posts
    • 26,307 Thanks
    suki1964

Originally posted by Islandmaid
    Nothing to do with your pictures IM. The original thread was about 6 years old and back in the day there were pictures galore

Has this been brought to the attention of admin ? The thread may seem flippant and not important in the great scheme of things but it's a fantastic rescource for those of us who get stuck in a rut with meal planning
    • Viking_mfw
    • By Viking_mfw 10th Jan 18, 1:30 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    Viking_mfw
    Ooh csn I join in?

Have just put the slow cooker on with sausage and red cabbage casserole (recipe on Lakeland site) made with excess sausages and red cabbage from Christmas (thw sausages were frozen!).
    • Lance De Boils
    • By Lance De Boils 10th Jan 18, 1:39 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    Lance De Boils
    Mincemeat, pearl barley and veg stew. Will have crushed potatoes and cabbage to go with.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    • 18,679 Posts
    • 49,115 Thanks
    Pollycat
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

Originally posted by JIL
    Nothing to do with your pictures IM. The original thread was about 6 years old and back in the day there were pictures galore

Has this been brought to the attention of admin ? The thread may seem flippant and not important in the great scheme of things but it's a fantastic rescource for those of us who get stuck in a rut with meal planning
    Originally posted by suki1964
    It's really annoying that the 2nd thread (which IIRC is less than a year old) has disappeared.

I'll pm one of the board guides.

Anyway, the pork dinner (left over from Christmas) planned for yesterday didn't happen so we're having that tonight.
    New potatoes, carrots and a choice of veg from the freezer which includes cabbage, romanesco, cauli, sprouts and broccolli.
    • chirpychick
    • By chirpychick 10th Jan 18, 4:26 PM
    • 929 Posts
    • 8,346 Thanks
    chirpychick
    Hello i hope its ok if I join in.
    We are having pasta bolognaise and some very old looking broccoli which i hope is fine as its just old but no yellowing or mould.
    We are trying to use up everything in our cupboard at the moment. Our freezer hasn’t much and nor our fridge but we only have 1 little food cupboard and it is absolutely bulging. Mostly with pasta lol.
    IVA entered Dec 2010. It's been a long hard road but we FINALLY made it! IVA COMPLETE Dec 2016!!!!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 10th Jan 18, 7:01 PM
    • 10,328 Posts
    • 26,307 Thanks
    suki1964
    Tonight is lidls oven baked 'SFC' with jacket spuds and roasted veg. Too cold and damp for the usual salad
    • millicent
    • By millicent 10th Jan 18, 7:14 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    millicent
    After a few days of good healthy food choices we have tonight succumbed to ham,egg and chips although did poach not fry the eggs and the chips were done in the air fryer
    45,754.63 > 5,777.69(January)

87.4%paid

Here is a purse of moneys... which I'm not going to give to you.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    • 6,755 Posts
    • 48,012 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Lunch was salad with goats cheese and some LO tuna - followed by a piece of brownie I found in the freezer when I was sorting it out

Dinner for me was sausages and carrot / swede mash with a piece of stuffing (all from the freezer) with some LO beans

Not sure about tomorrow - possibly pasta so I'll see what I could liberate from the freezer to go with that
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• caronc
    • By caronc 10th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 2,829 Posts
    • 19,345 Thanks
    caronc
    Oh found you - I did wonder if it had happened again. Thanks JIL for starting the new one off.

Tonight I'm having a herby pork steak, spuds and stir fried onions & kale.
    GC - Jan £39/£120
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

336Posts Today

2,312Users online

Martin's Twitter