taking name off

Options
Hi. My partner moved out of his marital home a few months ago. His soon to be ex-wife is refusing to remove his name from the bills as alot are in both names. She's running everything into debt. Is there anything he can do? :mad:

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Has he contacted the Council and utility companies to tell them he is no longer living there? What was their response?
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    paulajb wrote: »
    Hi. My partner moved out of his marital home a few months ago. His soon to be ex-wife is refusing to remove his name from the bills as alot are in both names. She's running everything into debt. Is there anything he can do? :mad:

It's not up to his ex-wife to do it! If his name is on the bills, contact the relevant suppliers with meter readings and tell them he's no longer resident as of (whatever date) and ask for a bill to that date.

If he moved out a long time ago he should have done it then. If he hasn't it complicates things and he may end up paying more than he should.
  • Cotswoldtony
    Options
    In Law they are both jointly & severally liable and this is a big problem when couples break up.
    The woman can go back to using her maiden name to move on in life but men find it harder because the debts follow them.
    Personally I would change my name which is perfectly legal so there is a clear cut off point to start a new life.
  • paulajb
    Options
    Yes, he's run both. Told them he no longer lives at that address, but that she does. They told him he can not take his name off without her consent, and she's refusing.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Which companies?

We sometimes get reps here who are able to answer specific queries.

A little more info would help to get tailored suggestions - is your friend still paying the Energy companies, have they missed any payments?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Sarastro
    Sarastro Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    er yes...not run off and leave her with all the bills to pay.
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 November 2017 at 10:38PM
    Options
    paulajb wrote: »

He should speak to his solicitor...

Probably not much can be done until her gets that divorce.

Good luck!
  • paulajb
    Options
    Sarastro wrote: »
    er yes...not run off and leave her with all the bills to pay.
    Sorry but you don't know the circumstances. He's still paying the mortgages and loans. But understandably not paying for utility bills when he doesnt live there anymore after leaving after years of physical and mental abuse.

For the other person asking it was Eon.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    If he informs the energy company by letter that he no longer resides at that address and is no longer responsible for the energy bill, that is the end of the matter.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    If he informs the energy company by letter that he no longer resides at that address and is no longer responsible for the energy bill, that is the end of the matter.

And do keep a copy of the letter, and proof of posting, free, ask for it at PO counter
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure