Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulajb
    • By paulajb 28th Nov 17, 7:54 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    paulajb
    taking name off
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:54 AM
    taking name off 28th Nov 17 at 7:54 AM
    Hi. My partner moved out of his marital home a few months ago. His soon to be ex-wife is refusing to remove his name from the bills as alot are in both names. She's running everything into debt. Is there anything he can do?
Page 1
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 28th Nov 17, 8:10 AM
    • 3,137 Posts
    • 4,175 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:10 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:10 AM
    Has he contacted the Council and utility companies to tell them he is no longer living there? What was their response?
    • Andy_WSM
    • By Andy_WSM 28th Nov 17, 8:23 AM
    • 2,087 Posts
    • 4,505 Thanks
    Andy_WSM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:23 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:23 AM
    Hi. My partner moved out of his marital home a few months ago. His soon to be ex-wife is refusing to remove his name from the bills as alot are in both names. She's running everything into debt. Is there anything he can do?
    Originally posted by paulajb
    It's not up to his ex-wife to do it! If his name is on the bills, contact the relevant suppliers with meter readings and tell them he's no longer resident as of (whatever date) and ask for a bill to that date.

If he moved out a long time ago he should have done it then. If he hasn't it complicates things and he may end up paying more than he should.

• Cotswoldtony
    • By Cotswoldtony 28th Nov 17, 8:30 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Cotswoldtony
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:30 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:30 AM
    In Law they are both jointly & severally liable and this is a big problem when couples break up.
    The woman can go back to using her maiden name to move on in life but men find it harder because the debts follow them.
    Personally I would change my name which is perfectly legal so there is a clear cut off point to start a new life.
    • paulajb
    • By paulajb 28th Nov 17, 9:06 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    paulajb
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:06 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:06 AM
    Yes, he's run both. Told them he no longer lives at that address, but that she does. They told him he can not take his name off without her consent, and she's refusing.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 28th Nov 17, 6:33 PM
    • 2,543 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:33 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:33 PM
    Which companies?

We sometimes get reps here who are able to answer specific queries.

A little more info would help to get tailored suggestions - is your friend still paying the Energy companies, have they missed any payments?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
    • Sarastro
    • By Sarastro 28th Nov 17, 8:07 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    Sarastro
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:07 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:07 PM
    er yes...not run off and leave her with all the bills to pay.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 28th Nov 17, 9:36 PM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 1,539 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:36 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:36 PM
    He should speak to his solicitor...

Probably not much can be done until her gets that divorce.

Good luck!
    Last edited by footyguy; 28-11-2017 at 9:38 PM.
    • paulajb
    • By paulajb 29th Nov 17, 12:31 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    paulajb
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:31 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:31 PM
    er yes...not run off and leave her with all the bills to pay.
    Originally posted by Sarastro
    Sorry but you don't know the circumstances. He's still paying the mortgages and loans. But understandably not paying for utility bills when he doesnt live there anymore after leaving after years of physical and mental abuse.

For the other person asking it was Eon.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 29th Nov 17, 4:18 PM
    • 27,112 Posts
    • 13,225 Thanks
    Cardew
    If he informs the energy company by letter that he no longer resides at that address and is no longer responsible for the energy bill, that is the end of the matter.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 29th Nov 17, 4:24 PM
    • 5,731 Posts
    • 7,741 Thanks
    Farway
    If he informs the energy company by letter that he no longer resides at that address and is no longer responsible for the energy bill, that is the end of the matter.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    And do keep a copy of the letter, and proof of posting, free, ask for it at PO counter
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 29th Nov 17, 5:57 PM
    • 2,543 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    OP - does he have an online account with them?

It appears you can do a lot of updating via the online portal - has he tried this way?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 29th Nov 17, 6:29 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles
    Sorry but you don't know the circumstances. He's still paying the mortgages and loans. But understandably not paying for utility bills when he doesnt live there anymore after leaving after years of physical and mental abuse.

For the other person asking it was Eon.
    Pretty sure Eon only allow one name on energy accounts...
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    Good morning paulajb and welcome to the forums.

It would help if your partner had some meter reads from the time they moved out, if not the bill will need to be estimated.

They should be able to contact us and say they have moved out and give the date and the meter read. This means the current account will be closed down to the final meter reads. That final bill will still be in joint names and would need to be paid.

A new account will then need to be opened for the person responsible for the bills.

Pretty sure Eon only allow one name on energy accounts...
    Originally posted by Flt. Lt. Biggles
    This is the case now, but some accounts that were started a long time ago do still have two names on the account.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • paulajb
    • By paulajb 30th Nov 17, 12:52 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    paulajb
    Helena he tried ringing when he left back in August and was told he wasn't allowed to take his name off. I will give him your advice. Thank you so much ☺
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    Helena he tried ringing when he left back in August and was told he wasn't allowed to take his name off. I will give him your advice. Thank you so much ☺
    I understand paulajb, thank you.

He won't be able to take his name off, the account will need to be closed fully to final meter reads, then a new account opened.

We have an actual home moves team, it's best to speak to them, numbers on the website, I'm sorry I can't post links

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Scilly
    • By Scilly 1st Dec 17, 10:03 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Scilly
    Please don't feel you have to explain yourself when replying to a thoughtless comment. This forum is for support not judgement. Good luck, I hope you can get this sorted!
    • Cotswoldtony
    • By Cotswoldtony 2nd Dec 17, 10:07 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Cotswoldtony
    Hi paulajb,
    this is typical silly games couples play when they break up.
    Sadly it can get worse because both sides find it hard to move on.
    What starts out as a wonderful relationship sharing can be difficult later for both if everything is in joint names.
    In Law it's called jointly and severally liable for debt so both can be made to pay.
    Common sense in my opinion is the best way forward, if the guy loved this woman at a point in his life and she also loved him they were lucky they had good times together.
    I personally would thank her for the quality time spent together, wish her the all the best in the future, man up and pay the bill to help her so both respect each other from that point on.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 2nd Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    • 729 Posts
    • 628 Thanks
    House Martin
    Please don't feel you have to explain yourself when replying to a thoughtless comment. This forum is for support not judgement. Good luck, I hope you can get this sorted!
    Originally posted by Scilly
    No its not ! we are not here just for "support " Nor are we a Citizens Advice Bureau. Its just a chat forum. If someones idea of the truth hurts, then so be it. There are always two sides to every broken partnership.
    Just have a look at the Motoring section where nearly every new poster can be shot down in flames by posters who work in the motoring trade. Its carnage on that section.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 2nd Dec 17, 11:53 AM
    • 27,112 Posts
    • 13,225 Thanks
    Cardew
    Hi paulajb,
    this is typical silly games couples play when they break up.
    Sadly it can get worse because both sides find it hard to move on.
    What starts out as a wonderful relationship sharing can be difficult later for both if everything is in joint names.

Common sense in my opinion is the best way forward, if the guy loved this woman at a point in his life and she also loved him they were lucky they had good times together.
    I personally would thank her for the quality time spent together, wish her the all the best in the future, man up and pay the bill to help her so both respect each other from that point on.
    Originally posted by Cotswoldtony
    I appreciate you are new on MSE, but this particular section is for advice and comment. In this instance on the OP's query about getting a name removed from a gas/electricity bill.

With respect you know nothing about the domestic situation of the OP's partner. All we know is he has left the marital home and is now with the OP. There are plenty of other sections on this forum where advice/comment on relationships/love/divorce can be discussed.

It never ceases to amaze me that on domestic situations people automatically assume a poster is giving an accurate and unbiased version of events.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,253Posts Today

7,119Users online

Martin's Twitter