Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skinnydad
    • By Skinnydad 9th Aug 17, 9:15 AM
    • 47Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Skinnydad
    4 year old Samsung TV needs new Screen!
    • 9th Aug 17, 9:15 AM
    4 year old Samsung TV needs new Screen! 9th Aug 17 at 9:15 AM
    I was hoping that someone could provide some much need advice. I have a Samsung Plasma TV approx. 4 year’s old and it has developed a few lines down the right hand side of the screen.I called Samsung who referred me to one of their service centres for advice.The person I spoke to had stated that this indicates that the panel has gone (or going) and it would be approx. £500 to replace.Needless to say I was perplexed with this as they hadn’t physically seen the TV or performed any fault finding.As it was out of warranty (1 years manufactures) and I didn’t have an extended warranty then this is going to prove to be costly.I remember reading something from the sales of goods act that stated "Consumer experts say retailers are exploiting ambiguous legislation to wriggle out of their responsibilities. And claim the law is quite clear. The Sale of Goods Act offers protection against faulty goods even when the manufacturer's guarantee has run out. The act says goods must last a reasonable time - and that can be anything up to six years from the date of purchase.” Also a recent comment from ‘Which’ stated: You shouldn't have to pay a penny, even if the guarantee has expired, if the goods are faulty and less than six years old.

Samsung replied with the following:

With this in mind, each product is supplied with a warranty which protects it against such potential failure, within the terms and duration of the warranty. I understand from the details you have provided that it is now beyond the one year standard warranty which does mean that any required repair would have to be carried out on a chargeable basis.
    On the other hand, under the Sale of Goods Act and even the new UK Consumer Rights Act of 2015, please be advised that the consumer’s statutory rights under the Act are against the retailer who sold the product, not the manufacturer of that product (unless you have purchased the product directly from the manufacturer).

The issue is I’m not sure where I legally stand in a case like this. Who should I pursue and is it worth it? Granted the TV is 4 years old albeit that it wasn’t in use for nearly the first year as we moved house etc. and it’s not as if this is on 24 x 7 as we both work and lucky if it’s on 4hrs a day.It’s not that we can’t afford a new television it’s just that I believe it has not lasted a reasonable period of time.Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
Page 4
    • andrewmp
    • By andrewmp 15th Sep 17, 3:40 PM
    • 1,545 Posts
    • 792 Thanks
    andrewmp
    Totally understand, where would you get a reputable brand 51 inch TV for £400. Thanks again to all..
    Originally posted by Skinnydad

I paid £429.99 for a 50" HDR 4K Panasonic Smart TV. Good TV too, was your old one 4K etc?
    • Skinnydad
    • By Skinnydad 16th Oct 17, 1:36 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Skinnydad
    A quick update for all the assistance I've had. Curry's said they'd ordered the part and I waited nigh on a month for this. I called for an update however I was told that it was in the process of being repaired. Waited again and called them. They said that it had been damaged in transit (apparently the back had been damaged) and would I accept another TV or BACs payment. I agreed on the Bacs payment and they settled with me for £599, plus my £95 will be refunded in store. So all in all a good result for me. Thanks again to everyone who assisted me.
    • photome
    • By photome 16th Oct 17, 4:17 PM
    • 12,771 Posts
    • 8,249 Thanks
    photome
    A quick update for all the assistance I've had. Curry's said they'd ordered the part and I waited nigh on a month for this. I called for an update however I was told that it was in the process of being repaired. Waited again and called them. They said that it had been damaged in transit (apparently the back had been damaged) and would I accept another TV or BACs payment. I agreed on the Bacs payment and they settled with me for £599, plus my £95 will be refunded in store. So all in all a good result for me. Thanks again to everyone who assisted me.
    Thats a great result
    maybe currys are not as bad as many make out on here
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 16th Oct 17, 4:21 PM
    • 9,912 Posts
    • 7,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Originally posted by photome
    Maybe Currys are not as bad as they used to be because of all the adverse publicity on here
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 16th Oct 17, 6:01 PM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 8,784 Thanks
    LilElvis
    Thats a great result
    Originally posted by photome
    Maybe - but I would still put more faith in John Lewis or Richer Sounds sorting out a warranty issue in a relatively hassle free way than chancing it with Curry's. Its taken over 2 months for the OP to get a resolution and they actually damaged the TV further during the process - who knows how good their attempt at a repair would have been had they not been careless enough to make it irreparable.
    • Skinnydad
    • By Skinnydad 16th Oct 17, 9:31 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Skinnydad
    I agree thanks to all Hence the reason for the BACS transfer, therefore I can spend where I want. Costco have a good LG I fancy and 5 year warranty. Many thanks again
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 17th Oct 17, 8:56 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    That is an outstanding result and one that goes way, way beyond what the retailer had to do based on your original complaint. I guess if they had damaged the TV then they had no choice but to put their hands up and pay out. Nonetheless, you got a fantastic result.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,761Users online

Martin's Twitter