Dashcam: do you have one fitted in your vehicle?

Options

Comments

• eddysim17
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    I fitted one to my car as soon as I bought it. Fortunately haven't had to use it for insurance purposes yet, but it does give me peace of mind that I have it just in case anything happens.

I commute to work (mostly for 4am starts), so within those 30 miles I manage to catch a fair amount of bad driving and interesting situations both in the city center and the motorway. I mostly save those clips and send them in to youtube bad driving compilations.

i have the A119s from Viofo that I bought on Amazon for around £80 and I am pretty happy with the value for money and the good image quality, especially at night, so I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a dashcam.
  • tony6403
    tony6403 Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 July 2017 at 12:50AM
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi folks

We're interested in what the level of dashcam ownership is on the Forum.

Do you have one?

Did you fit it or was it already fitted when you bought the vehicle?

If you have one, have you ever needed to use it for insurance purposes?

Let us know :)

When you say insurance purposes do you include getting a reduced premium ?
    If so then fitting becomes an issue.
    I have been told that simply plugging in a camera into a 12v socket is not acceptable for a reduced premium. Apparently it has to be hard wired to the ignition system to qualify as "permanent".
    That being so,I can't understand how they take into account the permanence of the crude sucker arrangement to attach it to the windscreen ?
    Anyway I've got a plug in cheap Chinese manufactured device that produces excellent videos. ( but can't turn off the audio capture which betrays the sort of language I hadn't realised I use when driving )
    Forgotten but not gone.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Id quite like one but it would have to be cheap and more or less plug and play, as I'd have no idea how to fit one.
  • Stageshoot
    Stageshoot Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    A year for them to release the footage?

I'd have been screaming blue murder!

Aviva at first said it was not relevant as was front facing and the accident was to the rear. was only when pre court solicitors got involved and they viewed the footage that they ramped it up and got it sorted. Part my fault should have pushed harder with Aviva to look at it but as I had uploaded it assumed it had been done,.
    Over 100k miles of Electric Motoring and rising,
  • Stageshoot
    Stageshoot Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    Id quite like one but it would have to be cheap and more or less plug and play, as I'd have no idea how to fit one.

Basic one is £30 from Halfords you stick it on your windscreen with a sucker and plug it in your cigarette lighter socket for power, cant get much more plug and play..
    Over 100k miles of Electric Motoring and rising,
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    It's very easy to choose a dashcam. The ones sold on Halfords are decent quality. Look on Amazon too for the top selling ones. If you want reviews of the best ones to buy then techmoan.com is my go to site.

Not only is it a matter of image and camera quality but you need to
    (1) budget for a decent sized memory card - say £10 for a 32gb micro SD from Amazon
    (2) £6 for a decent dual or triple usb cigarette lighter socket say from Amazon (Anker are a good make on there). Then you can also charge your phone and satnav.
    (3) get a decent length cable that can be hidden. For small to medium cars the 3m cable supplied with the dashcam may be OK. For MPVS, 4x4s and vans with large dashboards I recommend a 5m cable.
    (4) Consider the mount. A lot of mounts are large and obtrusive. Look into small dashcam mounts on eBay.
    The man without a signature.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    tony6403 wrote: »
    When you say insurance purposes do you include getting a reduced premium ?
    If so then fitting becomes an issue.
    I have been told that simply plugging in a camera into a 12v socket is not acceptable for a reduced premium. Apparently it has to be hard wired to the ignition system to qualify as "permanent".
    That being so,I can't understand how they take into account the permanence of the crude sucker arrangement to attach it to the windscreen ?
    Anyway I've got a plug in cheap Chinese manufactured device that produces excellent videos. ( but can't turn off the audio capture which betrays the sort of language I hadn't realised I use when driving )

I assume "insurance proposes" means to help settle a dispute over liability.

As for a reduced premium, I have only ever been asked if one is fitted, not how.

Mine was fitted for me at a cost of £30. Hard wired, no wires on view.

Not had to "use" it yet (touch wood) and have only ever downloaded and viewed footage when it was new just to see what it was like.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    I assume "insurance proposes" means to help settle a dispute over liability.

As for a reduced premium, I have only ever been asked if one is fitted, not how.

Mine was fitted for me at a cost of £30. Hard wired, no wires on view.

Not had to "use" it yet (touch wood) and have only ever downloaded and viewed footage when it was new just to see what it was like.
    How long have you owned it?

I'd thoroughly recommend checking the footage at least one a month to make sure it's working OK and the SD card is still OK, the last thing you want is to have an accident then find you have no evidence because your SD card had expired sometime before. Follow this by a format of the card.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    neilmcl wrote: »
    How long have you owned it?

I'd thoroughly recommend checking the footage at least one a month to make sure it's working OK and the SD card is still OK, the last thing you want is to have an accident then find you have no evidence because your SD card had expired sometime before. Follow this by a format of the card.

Good point. I do format the card every couple of weeks.
  • taximan1234
    Options
    Got a blackvue front and rear camera, after a week some idiot smashed my other cars window to steal a wallet, unluckily for him my taxi was parked in front and the Blackvue caught it all, He was in court last week and I have been awarded damages, so the camera has paid for itself already.
    By the way fitting was easy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport