Dashcam: do you have one fitted in your vehicle?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    A few years ago I had a 9 month fight with my insurance company following a non fault claim. A dashcam at the time would have resolved the case in 30 seconds so to me the dashcams we have fitted in all 3 family vehicles are a necessary evil.

I'm not a believer in sharing the instances of bad driving that I see, but in the event of an accident or incident being recorded I would happily share it with the involved parties.

We have Transcend dashcams, very easy to use and their customer support is fantastic. One of ours developed a fault and they couldn't have been more efficient in resolving the issue.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Piggywinkle
    Piggywinkle Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 March 2018 at 3:45PM
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    I have a DrivePro 220 and I wouldn't be without it. DH got it for me when I kept complaining about being bullied all the time in the Fiesta I used to drive. It's very user friendly but doesn't have motion detection - just records on a loop when the engine is running. I generally use it to show DH some of the p*ss poor driving I see on a day to day basis so we can have a bit of a laugh.

Seriously though, I've had some close calls (people pulling out from side roads in front of me going down a national speed limit road and then giving me the finger) and it gives me general peace of mind. It also makes me a better driver as I'm aware that if I cause an accident, it will all be on camera! I'm now looking for a budget rear cam due to a bit of tailgating I've been experiencing lately. Being a blonde female seems to be like a red rag to a bull sometimes I'm afraid. Unfortunately, I live in an area extremely popular with boy racers and aggressive middle-aged men making up for their small wotsits in enormous 4x4s :)

EDIT: Before I get lambasted for being sexist/bigoted - please take my last comment to be the light-hearted gag it clearly is :)
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    patman99 wrote: »
    Fitted one myself a year back. Records plenty of bad driving, but cannot be bothered to add my footage to the pile already on youtube.

Interestingly, every time I take my car in for a service or MOT, they unplug the dashcam. Before it goes in again I intend to hardwire the dashcam and superglue the power lead into the camera to stop them pulling it out.

Garages I take my car into do that as well, it's annoying as it's all wired around the car and into the centre console where the charger is, no reason at all to unplug it. Annoyingly causes issues with digital radio, have reduced it with shielded cable and RF blockers on each end but it's not perfect (though might also be black spots when I drive). Pondering also hard wiring at some point
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,231 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mabr wrote: »
    I fitted my dashcam on a Sunday night after much nagging from my OH. Two days later I was involved in an incident with a cyclist who seemed to appear from nowhere and land in front of my car. I thought I’d hit them but was basically stationary at the time, waiting to pull out of an entrance. The footage showed they had cycled up the footpath, from the wrong direction and ‘fallen off’ in front of my car - there wasn’t a smudge in the dirt on the car! It was all very suspect and as soon as they saw me and my passenger reviewing the dashcam footage they quickly took off! I wouldn’t be without one now - I think the outcome may have been very different!

Which is the right direction to cycle on a footpath?
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 March 2018 at 7:19AM
    Options
    No
    No.

I should have one though, front and rear.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure