Dashcam: do you have one fitted in your vehicle?

Options
Former_MSE_Andrea
Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
edited 2 August 2017 at 10:12AM in Motoring
Hi folks

We're interested in what the level of dashcam ownership is on the Forum.

Do you have one?

Did you fit it or was it already fitted when you bought the vehicle?

If you have one, have you ever needed to use it for insurance purposes?

Let us know :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Dashcam: Do you have one in your vehicle 226 votes

Yes - I fitted it
63%
paylesstheatretonyhollie.weimeranermr_accountantlibra10Browntoasillygoosebrookfieldthetopemutley74Merlin139basillesuhloldagetravellerbillywhizzchriswwendykearneymoneyuserSymanThreewheeler 144 votes
Yes - it was already in when I bought the vehicle
0%
No
36%
vansboyxpforamgepekoephillduttonFormer_MSE_AndreaPennysmakepoundsriteshauroraheliospeter_the_pipereasybillnLittleJocajefsaintscoupleAndy_Laardvaakdevizes18193iolanthe07Indout96JrB55 82 votes

Comments

• oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 27 July 2017 at 11:03AM
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    Yes, a dual camera set up (front and rear). Installed it myself three years ago and hardwired into fusebox. Only used for driving
    , ie. don't use parking mode.
    Not needed for insurance purposes, yet.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    I had a cheapo from Amazon fitted in my Pajero when some idiot pulled out in front of me.

His insurance company, Admiral, first tried to fob me off by saying that their out of hours service might take a couple of days to get the info through to them (the accident happened Sunday evening, I rang them Monday morning). I told them that wasn't acceptable, gave them a link to the dashcam footage and told them that if I hadn't heard from them by close of business that day I would be contacting the biggest bunch of ambulance chasers I could find.

By 3pm that day they phoned me to arrange a hire car and for the assessor to look at the vehicle

By Tuesday I had the hire car.

By Wednesday the assessor had looked at the vehicle

By Friday we had agreed a write off value

By the following Monday the money for the car was in my account and I had sent them details of my uninsured losses

By Wednesday I had the money for the uninsured losses

Thursday I returned the hire car, I could have kept it until Saturday but didn't need it.

I then went out and bought a decent Dashcam that I can connect to by wifi and download or view the footage.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    No
    Not yet but I'm pretty sure the wife's new car comes with one. If not, I may very well get one anyway as our house CCTV has already been a god-send in the 3 months that we've had it.
  • Huskydays
    Huskydays Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    I have a front facing camera, fitted myself (fuse piggy back). Haven't used for insurance personally but did give footage to another driver after they were involved in a crash in front of me.
    A witty saying proves nothing
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    I've got a self fitted nextbase dashcam

I'm a regular driver to London and the driving is so bad these days that it will only be a matter of time, so for self protection its there

Also seems to calm down situations when I point to it to show I have one
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    Yes - I had a simple, forward-facing camera in my last car, which performed acceptably well but when I got my next car, earlier this year I upgraded to a better quality dual-camera system that after a bit of fiddling with the exposure settings gives very nice results indeed, although the rear camera is lower quality and fairly rubbish TBH.

I fitted it myself in under an hour but FTM it is powered from a spare 12v socket in the cabin - in time and when I've had a word with the garage to confirm it won't cause any warranty issues, I intend to wire it more professionally into the car's electrical system.

What set me on the road to a dash cam - Well, one night on my way home from work, I had a run-in with an absolute idiot pair of neds on a trails bike (prob stolen), who were putting themselves and everyone around them in jeopardy of various kinds with their delinquent riding. It was time to get belt and braces to protect myself. :(
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    I own a cheap one from a few years back. I've had it fitted on two cars so far. It's not the best and nowadays it's pretty outdated, I'll admit, but it's been useful on two or three occasions since purchase.

The one thing that isn't so good is that it records a 720P interlaced stream (so not true 720P) in some weird uncompressed format. This means an hour or so takes about 1GB of space, when in reality, some sort of compression would have really helped a lot. An 8GB SD usually stores about 2 or 3 days of footage for me which is fine.
  • Stageshoot
    Stageshoot Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    Yes Fitted one in my last 3 cars.

Previous Car Volvo V40, Hit from Behind by Dustbin Lorry, who claimed I swerved in front of him and brake tested him. Dashcam footage clearly showed I had been stopped in stationary traffic in front of him for over 20 seconds before he ran into the back of me.

Still took a year to settle and was going to court as his side disputed proceedings, only when my insurer released dashcam footage to his solicitor was the case quickly dropped and settled in my favour, my understanding is the driver and crew memeber in cab were disciplined for giving a deliberately false statement.
    Over 100k miles of Electric Motoring and rising,
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    Stageshoot wrote: »
    Yes Fitted one in my last 3 cars.

Previous Car Volvo V40, Hit from Behind by Dustbin Lorry, who claimed I swerved in front of him and brake tested him. Dashcam footage clearly showed I had been stopped in stationary traffic in front of him for over 20 seconds before he ran into the back of me.

Still took a year to settle and was going to court as his side disputed proceedings, only when my insurer released dashcam footage to his solicitor was the case quickly dropped and settled in my favour, my understanding is the driver and crew memeber in cab were disciplined for giving a deliberately false statement.

A year for them to release the footage?

I'd have been screaming blue murder!
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes - I fitted it
    Have front and back ones in all 3 of my cars.

Saved loads of comedy clips of stupid drivers, have recorded 2 accidents that helped others.

Why? Because we are a nation of Chavs. You can be a rich Chav, a middle class Chav, a working class Chav, or a scumbag Chav. What sets Chavs apart is their ME! ME! ME! F*ck You attitude. Chavs cause accidents and incidents and won't take responsibility for them.
    The man without a signature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport