Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • debsue
    • By debsue 7th Jul 17, 9:05 AM
    • 449Posts
    • 867Thanks
    debsue
    When is infidelity infidelity?
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:05 AM
    When is infidelity infidelity? 7th Jul 17 at 9:05 AM
    A friend has discovered that her husband has been flirting with a random woman he met on FB. This has been done over messenger and has been going on for a while. She knew that they were chatting but had no idea that it had become flirty, she has now discovered that they are facetiming when she is not home. She says this is as bad as an affair, I say not, what do you think?
Page 1
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 7th Jul 17, 9:13 AM
    • 2,596 Posts
    • 3,693 Thanks
    Malthusian
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:13 AM
    If he is making it clear that he is attracted to her and vice versa then it is an affair. If you are asking whether it is as bad as an affair where they are actually having sex, then the answer is no, but it is still bad.

(I am assuming it is actually flirting, as sometimes one person's flirting is another person's jesting banter, but in the absence of the actual messages we have to take the wife's interpretation at face value; the Stewart test applies.)
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 7th Jul 17, 9:13 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 4,557 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Not as bad.
    Hurtful but hopefully there is a way back.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 7th Jul 17, 9:14 AM
    • 6,697 Posts
    • 8,226 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:14 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:14 AM
    If it feels like an affair to the betrayed spouse then it's an affair.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 7th Jul 17, 9:15 AM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 3,286 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:15 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:15 AM
    Infidelity is in the eye of the person on the receiving end, If the wife finds it unacceptable then it is
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 7th Jul 17, 9:23 AM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 3,714 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:23 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:23 AM
    An affair in the mind is still an affair.
    • gabriel1980
    • By gabriel1980 7th Jul 17, 9:30 AM
    • 247 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    gabriel1980
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:30 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:30 AM
    I would say not an affair, but I think he's probably seriously considering an affair
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 7th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 1,855 Thanks
    suejb2
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    Flirting
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    Take away the medium with which they flirt. Go old style, they write letters to each other and they wait till wife is gone to meet behind her back and it equates to cheating.
    Bringing technology into the mix I.M.O doesn't negate the cheating.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 7th Jul 17, 10:22 AM
    • 14,625 Posts
    • 14,349 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:22 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:22 AM
    If it feels like an affair to the betrayed spouse then it's an affair.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters

Really? That's incredibly subjective, no-one can determine or control how another may feel or react to a circumstance.

A reasonable person test is much more useful.

Would a reasonable person be upset - ofcourse
    But would they classify it as an affair - well that's the discussion

(for what it's worth, no this isnt an affair imho)
    • Judi
    • By Judi 7th Jul 17, 10:29 AM
    • 14,920 Posts
    • 60,339 Thanks
    Judi
    I always say if youve gone further than you would like your partner to go than its gone too far.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 7th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 3,286 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Really? That's incredibly subjective, no-one can determine or control how another may feel or react to a circumstance.

Originally posted by Guest101

You would think this wouldn't be a big ask of a spouse?
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 7th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    • 14,625 Posts
    • 14,349 Thanks
    Guest101
    You would think this wouldn't be a big ask of a spouse?
    Originally posted by glentoran99

How does one control the reaction of their spouse?
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 7th Jul 17, 11:48 AM
    • 27,973 Posts
    • 71,121 Thanks
    Mojisola
    A friend has discovered that her husband has been flirting with a random woman he met on FB. This has been done over messenger and has been going on for a while. She knew that they were chatting but had no idea that it had become flirty, she has now discovered that they are facetiming when she is not home.
    Originally posted by debsue
    If he's talking to this woman in ways that he wouldn't if his wife was sitting beside him, then he's out of order whether it's officially an 'affair' or not.
    • keithdc
    • By keithdc 7th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    keithdc

But... the only real judgement that is relevant is that of the people involved.

This is not a court of law or employment disciplinary.
    • fewgroats
    • By fewgroats 7th Jul 17, 12:32 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    fewgroats
    Do you require a dictionary definition then?
    Lent Challenge: 132/200 Failed
    Pancake Day+70 challenge (ends 8 June): 244/300 Better
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 7th Jul 17, 12:33 PM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 3,286 Thanks
    glentoran99
    How does one control the reaction of their spouse?
    You don't control but you can anticipate, if you know a person well enough to marry them its wont take a fortune teller to predict
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 7th Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 7,090 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Infidelity (which is what was asked about in the title, rather than "an affair" ) is when intercourse takes place, at least as far as getting a divorce is concerned, according to the government website.

"An affair" would typically involve a degree of physical intimacy, which would not necessarily include intercourse.

Having a female friend and sharing emotional problems with them or just laughing and chatting is not infidelity nor an affair. I do that with a couple of different female friends. I have never had sex with or even kissed either in over fifteen years of friendship (well, I kissed one on the cheek once, on her wedding day). Any man involved with a woman who thinks they should not have other female friends now they're with her should run away very fast.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • leespot
    • By leespot 7th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    leespot
    Infidelity (which is what was asked about in the title, rather than "an affair" ) is when intercourse takes place, at least as far as getting a divorce is concerned, according to the government website.

"An affair" would typically involve a degree of physical intimacy, which would not necessarily include intercourse.

Having a female friend and sharing emotional problems with them or just laughing and chatting is not infidelity nor an affair. I do that with a couple of different female friends. I have never had sex with or even kissed either in over fifteen years of friendship (well, I kissed one on the cheek once, on her wedding day). Any man involved with a woman who thinks they should not have other female friends now they're with her should run away very fast.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    From the OP, this appears to have moved on from the level of what most of us would consider a 'friend'. If there was nothing untoward, they wouldn't have to wait for the wife to be away before facetiming or whatever else it is they're doing.

It isn't an affair, nor an act of infidelity, however it is not the behaviour expected of a married man. What the behaviour can lead to is where the problem lies.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 7th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    • 13,314 Posts
    • 25,344 Thanks
    onlyroz
    If he's talking to this woman in ways that he wouldn't if his wife was sitting beside him, then he's out of order whether it's officially an 'affair' or not.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    This. If it was an innocent friendship then there would be no need for subterfuge. If he's writing messages that he would be unhappy for his wife to see then he's probably acting out of order. Whether what he has done merits the end of the relationship really depends on how far these communications have gone. Flirty chat can perhaps be forgiven. Web-cam sex, on the other hand, probably can't be.
    • leespot
    • By leespot 7th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    leespot
    This. If it was an innocent friendship then there would be no need for subterfuge. If he's writing messages that he would be unhappy for his wife to see then he's probably acting out of order. Whether what he has done merits the end of the relationship really depends on how far these communications have gone. Flirty chat can perhaps be forgiven. Web-cam sex, on the other hand, probably can't be.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Not wanting to show his wife the messages is a good indicator of how far they've gone with it. I know from personal experience that when someone sends these types of messages, then is caught, and subsequently deletes them all before you can even know their content, the relationship takes on a totally different dynamic, not least in terms of trust.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,257Posts Today

7,557Users online

Martin's Twitter