Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

The Nice People Thread, No.16: A Universe of Niceness.

Options

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    chris_m wrote: »
    I believe that if you stand on the top of Ely cathedral and look directly east, there is nothing at the same altitude until you get to the Urals !!!

No wonder it can get a tad parky in Eastern England when there's an easterly wind blowing ;)

Not to mention those steppes! :D
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Pyxis
    Options
    Something really funny happened yesterday.

I'd been out most of the day at AmDram, and on the way home, did a big stock-up shop, which made the total a very large amount. (I like to get very stocked up at the onset of winter, in case I spend a few months feeling unwell and/or ill).

When I got home, I opened my post and my heart sank when I saw that one letter included money-off vouchers if you spend more than a certain amount, for the very supermarket I'd just done a big shop at.

:(:( If the post had come in the morning, before I set out for the day, I could have saved £12 off that big shop. :(
    Sick as a pig didn't describe it.
    (I never get post before at least 2pm, sometimes later. :( Oh for the glory days of post on the mat by 7.30 am! With a second delivery at 11.00 am!)

Anyway, I unpacked my shopping. Then I realised that the supermarket had made a mistake which meant I was £15 better off. I rang them straight away, but they said it was their mistake and not to worry, and I could keep the thing that had caused the mistake!)

So, in a way, I got my discount, and a bit more, even though it was in the form of better goods and not actual cash. Still! :)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    and on the way home, did a big stock-up shop, which made the total a very large amount. (I like to get very stocked up at the onset of winter, in case I spend a few months feeling unwell and/or ill).

I've been stocking up recently too - not specifically because I want to but because it'd be a bit ungrateful to not use the "spend £90 or more, get £13 off" vouchers that my supermarket keeps giving me - I must have had six in a row now, however you only get 7-10 days in which to use them. I haven't managed to work out what I'm buying that keeps triggering them, either.

Of course, I'm maximising the savings by buying the discounted stuff (£1 off, half price, two 4 one, etc) as much as possible but I'm still having trouble keeping up with them. Meat (joints for roasting or diced for stews) pads the bill out nicely but I keep running out of freezer space into which to put it - had to make a batch of raspberry jam and tomato ketchup last week just to create space ;)

Still, as they say, every little helps :rotfl:
  • Nikkster
    Nikkster Posts: 6,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    Hope all's well for any NPs in the museum part of London. :(

Luckily I was busy having a fantastic meal at the restaurant doozergirl recommended. Didn't end up going to anyt of the museums...
  • Pyxis
    Options
    I've been stocking up recently too - not specifically because I want to but because it'd be a bit ungrateful to not use the "spend £90 or more, get £13 off" vouchers that my supermarket keeps giving me - I must have had six in a row now, however you only get 7-10 days in which to use them. I haven't managed to work out what I'm buying that keeps triggering them, either.

Of course, I'm maximising the savings by buying the discounted stuff (£1 off, half price, two 4 one, etc) as much as possible but I'm still having trouble keeping up with them. Meat (joints for roasting or diced for stews) pads the bill out nicely but I keep running out of freezer space into which to put it - had to make a batch of raspberry jam and tomato ketchup last week just to create space ;)

Still, as they say, every little helps :rotfl:
    If alcohol counts towards the £90, you could stock up with that Xmas. Or even just stock up with it! :D

I've got a feeling it might be excluded, though?

Another way is if you need any electricals or kitchen equipment.

Going off on a complete tangent, does anyone else find they have to turn up the TV volume when they are eating crunchy food?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    If alcohol counts towards the £90, you could stock up with that Xmas. Or even just stock up with it! :D
    I've got a feeling it might be excluded, though?

Your feeling is correct - it's the first on the long list of exclusions.
    Another way is if you need any electricals or kitchen equipment.

Unfortunately, the range available in my local store is somewhat limited - although I was able to get some conserving jars there, to replace the ones I filled with jam/ketchup in order to make freezer space ;)
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh poor Sue (and Josh!) Sending you very gentle (((HUGS)))

Pyxis I did laugh about the steppes :D
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I believe that if you stand on the top of Ely cathedral and look directly east, there is nothing at the same altitude until you get to the Urals !!!

No wonder it can get a tad parky in Eastern England when there's an easterly wind blowing ;)

... When the wind is in the East
    'Tis neither fit for man nor beast...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ....Ely cathedral ...
    My Gt x 3 grandparents were married there, May 1830. Bride's ancestors were all entirely from there.

Trinity Church, also known as the Lady Chapel; back then it used the name Ely Trinity, but was built as a church as a "lean to" on the Cathedral in 1566 and used until 1938 as the "local parish church" (I think that's right).
  • Pyxis
    Options
    Pastures, have you come across any more of your new-build neighbours?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport