Desperate for help guys

Options
atlantis187
atlantis187 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Sorry for the long post:
If anyone could please give me some general advise or help I would be externally grateful.

I bought this car on Friday from Norwich for £1850 paid in cash:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112342053072?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is a 130 mile trip one way from my house in Sheffield. When I took it for a short test drive everything seemed fine so did the deal and the guy also gave me 3 months warranty for it with a company called GEM warranty.

On the way back to Sheffield the temperature light came on several time I stopped and topped the water up and let the engine cool down this happened several time on the journey back when I got back to Sheffield I took it straight to a local garage and the mechanic said the head gasket had gone and this would cost roughly £800/900.

I rang the company back and they were closed by then. So I rang again this morning and spoke to a really arrogant guy who tried fobbing me off saying the car was fine when I took it and they are not responsible no more. I mentioned trading standards and eventually after arguing with him for about 20mins he said he cant give a refund but to bring the car back for their mechanic to inspect it and I have to drive it back or get it towed back to them at my expense.

It is a really long journey from my house (130miles) and I don't want to risk driving the car back incase it konks out on the way but also at the same time I ain't got spare £250 to pay for a tow truck.

Also I fear if I take the car back and their mechanic is not there on the day and they tell me to leave the car then the car could just be sat there for several week with nothing being done or if their dodgy mechanic does check it they will probably claim nothing is wrong with it.

This is really stressing me out guys we have just had a new baby a couple of weeks ago and money is already extremely tight so what should I do?

Thanks

Comments

• just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You put cold water in a already boiling engine, you could crack the block.

Return it if there telling you to, you might have a lucky escape.
  • atlantis187
    Options
    yeah only topped it up slightly a few drops from the water bottle I had.
  • atlantis187
    Options
    in this instance legally who should foot the costs to return the car to them?
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    in this instance legally who should foot the costs to return the car to them?

If you are rejecting the car using the short term right of rejection granted by the Consumer Rights Act then you are responsible for the costs in getting the car back to the place that you collected it from.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are rejecting the car using the short term right of rejection granted by the Consumer Rights Act then you are responsible for the costs in getting the car back to the place that you collected it from.

This ^.

You chose to buy a car from 130 miles away... This is one factor that should have formed part of your decision.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Why buy a banger from so far away.

You need to get it back to them at your cost and reject it IMO.

Strangely their address is in Gloucestershire not in Watson Norfolk as per their eBay ad. Was it Watton or Norwich you went to.

They also have a face book page which again only mentions the Gloucester address
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    From what I'm reading, they aren't accepting a return of goods, they are saying they will have their mechanic look at it with a view to fixing it. Personally I would get rid and get my money back, but that might take legal action to get.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    The garage doesn't really have a leg to stand on, however they are entitled to ensure that the fault does exist so can insist on their mechanic taking a look. You are not obliged to accept any repair and are entitled to reject the vehicle for a refund.

As far as getting the car back to them is a tricky one. Whilst they are obliged to cover any reasonable costs you made the decision to buy a car 150 miles away from home so therefore in this instance I think it's entirely reasonable that you should get the car back to the trader yourself.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Why buy a banger from so far away.

You need to get it back to them at your cost and reject it IMO.

Strangely their address is in Gloucestershire not in Watson Norfolk as per their eBay ad. Was it Watton or Norwich you went to.

They also have a face book page which again only mentions the Gloucester address
    I wouldn't have said an £1850 car should be classed as a "banger", however I do agree, as stated above, that it was the OP's decision to buy a car so far away from home and thus should factor this in if the car proved faulty, which it has.

I'm not sure what you're getting at re, the address. They seem to have a number of outlets, Watton in Norfolk being one of them. The fact they have another address makes no difference.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £2k car isn't a "banger"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts