Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • biscuit333
    • By biscuit333 25th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    biscuit333
    Expired ID - not proof of age?
    • 25th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    Expired ID - not proof of age? 25th Mar 17 at 6:43 PM
    Hi all,

Not sure if this is the place to put this but couldn't find anywhere more relevant as this is the shopping and groceries section? If I'm wrong please feel free to move it.

Is an expired driving license really no longer proof of age? I only ask as I was trying to purchase some wine this afternoon at a well known supermarket with my wife and toddler. The cashier asked to see my and the wife's ID, which we produced as we are 34 and 32 years old. I drive but my wife hasn't drove in a few years and so she didn't realise her drivers license had expired. The cashier refused to make the sale as a result and we went home empty handed.

So my question is, I know that expired ID cannot be used for security reasons or for exchanging money for tax reasons. But can it really not be used for age verification reasons? I mean your age isn't going to change due to the ID expiring...as long as you can be identified from your photo?

Thanks

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Jessica; 18-04-2017 at 2:49 PM.
Page 1
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 25th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    • 11,059 Posts
    • 6,279 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 25th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    • 25th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    I don't understand what you are complaining about? If you are lucky enough to look under age, then be thankful, the store can refuse to sell you an item for reasons they choose, you cannot tell them what they have to accept as ID.
    • biscuit333
    • By biscuit333 25th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    biscuit333
    • 25th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    • 25th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    I'm not complaining I'm just asking for legal clarification.

I live in a small UK town (limited shops and staff) and so should this be correct then I won't be able to buy even a bottle of wine until my Mrs gets her driving license back from the DVLA. Since, I have a feeling that should I go in over the next few weeks they'll say i could feasibly be purchasing the bottle for my partner and refuse me by default.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 25th Mar 17, 7:20 PM
    • 15,403 Posts
    • 38,672 Thanks
    elsien
    • 25th Mar 17, 7:20 PM
    • 25th Mar 17, 7:20 PM
    They're unlikely to remember the incident in a few weeks time let alone give any consideration to who you're buying for unless there's a few underage kids lurking in your vicinity. You're overthinking it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • biscuit333
    • By biscuit333 25th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    biscuit333
    • 25th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    • 25th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    You could be right, it just is annoying as I know their checkout roster is a total of 4-6 people and so I know the potential of the same cashier being on is practically guaranteed.

Thanks for the response
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 25th Mar 17, 7:48 PM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 2,527 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 25th Mar 17, 7:48 PM
    • 25th Mar 17, 7:48 PM
    When the DL was valid it would of course verify her age, but once expired - well for all they know she could have got younger! Idiots IMO.
    • easy
    • By easy 25th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    • 2,274 Posts
    • 2,667 Thanks
    easy
    • 25th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    • 25th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    I don't understand ... if you had valid id that showed you were over 18, why did you leave empty handed ?

If I call in to the supermarket with my son (17), and buy a bottle of wine, they don't refuse me because I have someone under age with me !!

Something is definitely not right here.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
    • biscuit333
    • By biscuit333 25th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    biscuit333
    • 25th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 25th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    Basically, as far as the cashier and I assume the supervisor was concerned - as the driving license had expired then it could no longer be relied upon as proof of ID.

Quite how that changes the fact that it was valid recently and your date of birth doesn't vary I'm not entirely sure how it cannot be counted on for proof of age?
    • London50
    • By London50 25th Mar 17, 10:05 PM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    London50
    • 25th Mar 17, 10:05 PM
    • 25th Mar 17, 10:05 PM
    I seem to remember in the past on this forum a problem like this was raised but I cannot find it.

Although below is an old item and MAY have changed ..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2520495/Asda-stops-parents-buying-alcohol-children-Supermarket-bosses-staff-saying-better-cautious-risk-prosecution-selling-18s.html

Based on above if you or your wife were in a shop WITHOUT a young child PERHAPS the problem would not arise. Word of warning though, make sure that the child is WELL OUT OF SIGHT OF THE SHOP when a purchase is made {not even {if poss} in the shops car park
    Last edited by London50; 25-03-2017 at 10:29 PM.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 25th Mar 17, 10:44 PM
    • 11,383 Posts
    • 7,652 Thanks
    theonlywayisup

I live in a small UK town (limited shops and staff) and so should this be correct then I won't be able to buy even a bottle of wine until my Mrs gets her driving license back from the DVLA. Since, I have a feeling that should I go in over the next few weeks they'll say i could feasibly be purchasing the bottle for my partner and refuse me by default.
    Originally posted by biscuit333
    How have you purchased wine before this incident?
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 26th Mar 17, 12:34 AM
    • 8,842 Posts
    • 4,420 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    I'd just put it down to pretty stupid store staff. If it were me and I came away empty handed it would be the last time I shopped there.
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 26th Mar 17, 8:16 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Sicard
    A few stores employ moronic staff but luckily most don't. Or is it down to staff training? Either way I'd email them and name and shame them on social media.
    Am proud I only have one sourpuss on my ignore list
    • amersall
    • By amersall 26th Mar 17, 8:26 AM
    • 15,180 Posts
    • 18,760 Thanks
    amersall
    Go on your own next time with your own valid ID, problem solved
    Wish I was asked for ID, those days are long gone for me

• ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 26th Mar 17, 8:42 AM
    • 7,405 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I don't understand ... if you had valid id that showed you were over 18, why did you leave empty handed ?

If I call in to the supermarket with my son (17), and buy a bottle of wine, they don't refuse me because I have someone under age with me !!

Something is definitely not right here.
    Originally posted by easy
    As you are buying alcohol, the cashier doesn't need to ID you. If your son was buying it once he turned 18 then ID will be needed. If the cashier overhears a conversation between you and your son about the wine is for him, the cashier can refuse due to proxy. This means buying alcohol for the intention for an under 18. It also applies to tobacco now.

We only sell alcohol on the cig and lottery counter. At Christmas, we sell gift sets with alcohol in the seasonal section.

We have been told to only accept ID which isn't expired as I explained to a young adult who handed me a passport which expired 2 years ago with a photo of her aged 12 and she was so different. You cannot fly on an expired passport.

If your wife was driving and had a police officer doing random spot checks to see licenses - had it done four times and handed over her expired photocard, she could face a fine of £1000..
    Last edited by ScarletMarble; 26-03-2017 at 8:47 AM.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 26th Mar 17, 8:51 AM
    • 7,405 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Go on your own next time with your own valid ID, problem solved
    Wish I was asked for ID, those days are long gone for me
    Originally posted by amersall
    Visit Tennessee where it's law to show ID regardless of age!

We were forewarned.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2014/jul/29/no-id-no-liquor-and-wrinkles-dont-count-universal-/263003/

There is another US state where it's law to seek ID for anyone looking under 50. Imagine if you were my age (35) and not being asked for it.
    Last edited by ScarletMarble; 26-03-2017 at 8:55 AM.
    • The-Truth
    • By The-Truth 26th Mar 17, 9:10 AM
    • 470 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    The-Truth
    Either way I'd email them and name and shame them on social media.
    Originally posted by Sicard
    Or how about acting like an adult?
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 26th Mar 17, 9:22 AM
    • 3,436 Posts
    • 5,864 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    How much has your wife's appearance changed in the last 10+ years since she got the license? she would have been late teens to very early twenties for it to have expired, surely she doesn't look exactly the same now at 32. Maybe the cashier couldn't be 100% sure it was her ID.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 26th Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    • 20,289 Posts
    • 12,530 Thanks
    dacouch
    Technically as far as the DVLA are concerned the licence has not expired, it is the photo that expires and needs renewing
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 26th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    • 7,897 Posts
    • 8,011 Thanks
    pogofish
    Originally posted by biscuit333
    You clearly confirmed that you agreed with the forum policy on legal advice as part of your signup.

Why are you going against it now?
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 26th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 3,507 Posts
    • 2,976 Thanks
    Sharon87
    How much has your wife's appearance changed in the last 10+ years since she got the license? she would have been late teens to very early twenties for it to have expired, surely she doesn't look exactly the same now at 32. Maybe the cashier couldn't be 100% sure it was her ID.
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    This was what I was going to say. I used my expired passport a lot at uni going into clubs, but it once got rejected, he said it was because it was expired, or could have been the fact that the photo was 13 year old me (I was 18/19 at the time).

I would also suggest your wife renew her photo on her licence, she can be fined for not renewing it (even if she doesn't drive)

As for refusing alcohol when with another person who could be underage I think that's a new thing where cashiers are too cautious. I went shopping with my mum all the time when I was 16/17 and she bought booze (for her and me) and she never got refused. Parents are allowed to buy booze for their kids if they drink it at home. If an 18 year old buys booze for their 16 year old friends then that's different. Common sense needs to prevail, but some cashiers don't have it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

529Posts Today

3,451Users online

Martin's Twitter