Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 14th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    • 2,287Posts
    • 2,813Thanks
    chelseablue
    Council Tax
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    Council Tax 14th Mar 17 at 4:04 PM
    Just received our Council Tax bill for 2017/18.... £1,846.

Seems a lot to me but we are in Berkshire, SE England

Anyone else had theirs yet?
    Mortgage starting balance 26.02.16 £231,294
    Mortgage after Year 1 £225,078
Page 5
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 17th Mar 17, 7:29 AM
    • 13,987 Posts
    • 37,981 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    How they raise it is one thing...

It's how they then waste it that bothers most people.
    Originally posted by sparky130a
    That was the one I was ruefully grinning about - since I moved to where everything is published in two languages (though we all speak the first one)....... I've never yet seen any figures as to what the extra cost is for the other language too.

It's a matter of debate which I find most annoying out of that waste of money on the one hand or being charged 75% of the CT bill (rather than the 50% each that someone in a couple would pay) on the other hand.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 17-03-2017 at 7:39 AM.
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 17th Mar 17, 7:59 AM
    • 1,677 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    My main concern is the huge level of under occupation of a very finite resource.

The worst example is the speculative investor who will buy expensive property and keep it empty with the capital gain as their only interest, but there is also a lot of property that is hugely under occupied, such as pensioners who own huge properties when many families are crammed into tiny properties and many cannot even afford a home at all.

People should still have the option to under-occupy to their hearts content but the tax they pay should reflect the cost to society of their choice.
    Originally posted by boliston
    Speculators who buy and leave them empty probably aren't too big a burden on council services, they can get hit with the empty property +50% surcharge too*, so are paying 150% council tax for almost no services. They should rent it to 1 single person, get the 25% discount and a few £ rent. The profits in London and the fact that they are mega wealthy to start with means they are not bothered.

*From 1 April 2013, billing authorities may charge a premium on a class of property that has been unoccupied and unfurnished for 2 years or more. The premium can be up to 50% of the Council Tax on the property
    • Miss Samantha
    • By Miss Samantha 17th Mar 17, 8:20 AM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    Miss Samantha
    If you want empty properties let instead of sitting empty perhaps the issue of evictions taking 6+ months and of the now very tricky regulations should be addressed.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 17th Mar 17, 10:40 AM
    • 7,266 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    martindow
    If you want empty properties let instead of sitting empty perhaps the issue of evictions taking 6+ months and of the now very tricky regulations should be addressed.
    Originally posted by Miss Samantha
    Are you really suggesting that tenants have excessive security of tenure?
    • Miss Samantha
    • By Miss Samantha 17th Mar 17, 10:55 AM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    Miss Samantha
    Are you really suggesting that tenants have excessive security of tenure?
    Originally posted by martindow
    Please read my post again. That's not what I wrote.

The law states from 2 weeks to 2 months notice to evict. If that was really happening with actual eviction taking place within, say, a month or 3 months of the notice, without plenty of traps only intended to trip landlords then perhaps owners of empty properties would be less cautious.
    • pimento
    • By pimento 17th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    • 5,237 Posts
    • 6,783 Thanks
    pimento
    Haven't received this year's bill yet but 2016/17 was £1953.00 Band E.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th Mar 17, 2:32 PM
    • 8,522 Posts
    • 5,052 Thanks
    teddysmum
    One argument about the Poll Tax was that five adults in one house get the same facilities as just a couple, so why should they pay more, but though each property gets the same waste collection (some very large household do get extra bins),five would have more wear on roads and pavements than a couple.

It would take some thought (oh councils can't do that unless thinking of ways of spending our money to their advantage) about where each service applies, but a basic charge , per household for services which are equal (like waste collection and fire service, callout not depending on number of occupants ) plus a per capita charge for services where more people mean more usage (parks, roads, schools).

Of course, whatever system is used, someone will object; those who don't choose to use a library or to have children who will require schools.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

66Posts Today

3,762Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin