Streetlife / Nextdoor

Options

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,865 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Boltonlass wrote: »
    That is a fair point - not that most people have time to read T&Cs - but is it ethically right to reveal everyone's address do you think? And do you know of any other website that does this? I personally can't think of any such site.

Oh come on, you mean can't be bothered!

There is always time for the things you really want to do.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,253 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I use Streetlife, and many in my local group, including me, have same privacy problems regarding Nextdoor and will not be moving across

We have a web site run by local man, sort of "around the town" type of site, with all the Nextdoor complaints he is thinking of setting up a forum on his site, without names etc. If it happens then that is where most of use around here will go

One of the users on Steetlife is a "leader" on Nextdoor, and even he is now getting dubious, seems he gets pester mail, ask so & so why they have unsubscribed, just not British way of doing things TBH, may suit California but I prefer anonymity
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • raylec
    raylec Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of discussions on streetlife had political aspects - fine if you post semi - anonymously, but do I want my everyone to know my politics and where I live - too much extremism around means you could get targeted in real life.

I'll keep my privacy, thank you.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    On the streetlife I go on, I know of two local councillors who contribute, and give feedback on problems - from potholes, to problems with roadworks. I know one of them is unlikely to move over to nextdoor, OTOH I know that on nextdoor already is another councillor, and the local MP.
    While, your local 'nextdoor' area is smaller, you also have access to nearby neighbours (e.g. areas that adjacent to yours) any posts on there that you see and vice versa have more privacy.

So, I think having read nextdoor's Q & A section, I'll give them a try - though I've still got twelve streetlife days to go.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Boltonlass
    Options
    I am a Homewatch coordinator for our neighbourhood and i contacted the Police about the site. Whilst they can't do anything about their T&Cs, they advised that nobody should post onto sites that display any personal information to the extent that this site does.

Streetlife was well used but our area members are all leaving Nextdoor.

I emailed the site owners complaining and got back a standard response telling me that they will pass on my privacy concerns to the management team. I obviously don't expect to hear anything else about the matter from them!
  • elverson
    Options
    BBC News have picked this up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38920906
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I migrated my data from streetlife for about 5 minutes before deactivating.
  • billy-bo
    Options
    I am glad I saw this thread - I hadn't quite picked up on the change - I haven't looked at all my Streetlife emails lately. I have enjoyed Streetlife and feel it was a great idea but I won't be moving to Nextdoor. I have just closed my Streetlife account and told them why. Shame.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's an article on this on the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38920906
  • SallyJines
    Options
    I too just joined to find I was the leader! I've always had aspirations to take over the world, so maybe this is a start of my quest! Like everyone else I was furious to see my full name and full address. I have nothing to hide, but I chose who I tell where I live. I immediately deleted my membership. It is such a shame. Streetlife was brilliant. I live in a part of a city that is both housing and the touristy Cathedral area. Nothing goes on where I immediately live, and I know what happens in the tourist area. I loved Streetlife for the quirky events, the villlage fetes and church events, jumble sales, gardening clubs etc that are happening maybe a mile or so away, but aren't technically in my area. I have had so many recommendations from it for tradespeople etc and found some good new friends. I know everyone where I live. Me and my neighbours talk to each other anyway. I want to broaden my world, not narrow it! Yes, we could fool it and type in a false name and address, but really, what is the point? I suspect it is just a way for advertisers (and worse) to make their own very specific junk mailing list. Someone on my Streetlife suggested we just make our own Facebook closed group and all migrate to that. That'd scupper them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure