Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SnowMan
    • By SnowMan 8th Jan 17, 8:10 PM
    • 3,123Posts
    • 5,787Thanks
    SnowMan
    Coolly Comparing Investment Platform charges - SnowMan's spreadsheet
    • 8th Jan 17, 8:10 PM
    Coolly Comparing Investment Platform charges - SnowMan's spreadsheet 8th Jan 17 at 8:10 PM
    It isn't any longer possible to edit the post linking to my investment platform comparison spreadsheet, so I thought I'd set up a new thread.

The thread is set up to provide a link to a spreadsheet enabling annual platform charges to be calculated and compared between platforms. This includes both custody charges for holding funds and/or shares/ETFs, and for dealing costs based on the number of annual sales and purchases of funds or shares/ETFs.

The spreadsheet (version 30 currently) can be downloaded by going to this link and downloading the file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxA6Przq6KI1TnZsaEtPZEtCd3M/view?usp=sharing

The basic idea is that platform charges and fund manager charges are now separated. So the starting point in looking at costs, in choosing an investment platform, is to compare platform costs for your own particular mix of ISAs, dealing account and SIPPs and based on your mix of funds and shares/ETFs.

The principle is that fund manager costs can be ignored as they cancel out, that is they are the same for each platform. This ignores any 'super clean' funds offered by some platforms, certain 'dirty' funds which have higher charges, and ignores the lack of availability of some funds or ETFs on some platforms.

The answers are shown as £ figures and percentages (so you can use the latter to add in your average percentage fund manager cost to estimate your total cost).

Most of the other comparisons I have seen only compare ISA only or SIPP only or dealing account only portfolios. This does not allow for the considerable discounts on SOME platforms for holding ISAs and SIPPs and dealing accounts on the same platform.

That is why the spreadsheet allows you to add in all the different accounts so these discounts can be considered.

It is also a good idea to look at options of keeping funds and shares separately. This is why the spreadsheet works out an everything together cost, a shares and ETFs only cost (based on the shares and ETF element only) and a funds only cost (based on the funds element only)

There is also a column that calculates exit charges by way of re-registration. High exit cost platforms should other things being equal be avoided, because it will be difficult to switch to other platforms following a price increase, without significant cost.

Some of these platforms (in particular AJ Bell Youinvest) have form for putting up charges without allowing customers the temporary option of a free exit through re-registration (past OFT guidance seems to suggest they can't do this but not everyone will want to take a case through the county courts, and the legal position remains unclear). The Financial Ombudsman Service, in my view, are causing significant customer detriment by not properly assessing fairness in relation to applying unfair terms legislation, and this is compounded by the inaction of the Financial Conduct Authority to deal with this issue.

The spreadsheet is a continual work in progress but it is just about getting there. Because of the incredible complexity of charging structures and the complicated interactions between accounts there are bound to be a few errors in there.

I will update the spreadsheet and link when a new version of the spreadsheet is produced.
    Last edited by SnowMan; 19-05-2017 at 9:02 AM. Reason: Version 30 link added
    I came, I saw, I melted
Page 3
    • 3handles
    • By 3handles 6th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    3handles
    Hi Snowman and friends
    What a brilliant investment tool your spreadsheet is! Many thanks for developing it and putting it up there for us all.

I'm currently invested through an ISA with Selftrade. It seems to work pretty well and be relatively inexpensive. I'm wondering about whether a SIPP is going to be worthwhile for me tax-wise, and if so which would be the best one to open. I note Selftrade isn't included in your tables so far. Would you consider adding it or is it run by one of those already included? Details of their charges are here... (note I'm a new member so apparently not allowed to post live links to urls)
    selftrade.co.uk/our-services/our-charges
    and here for SIPP:
    selftrade.co.uk/our-services/our-products/self-invested-personal-pension-sipp

Cheers
    3H
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 7th Oct 17, 1:38 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 936 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    Selftrade haven't changed the LTA to £1m on their information pages.
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £3,963

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,441Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin