Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Mortgage Moog
    • By Mortgage Moog 13th Oct 16, 12:20 PM
    • 126Posts
    • 28Thanks
    Mortgage Moog
    How long did you/will you spend in your first home?
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:20 PM
    How long did you/will you spend in your first home? 13th Oct 16 at 12:20 PM
    Having recently bought my first home I find there's an interesting split between people who buy cheap to move on within a few months/years and those that aim high to get the place they want right from the start.

How long did you spend in your first property? Has anyone moved on to their second and regretted leaving the first? I'd be interested to hear everyone's stories.
Page 5
    • clockworks
    • By clockworks 14th Oct 16, 1:13 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    Bought my first place in Sept 2009 2 bed flat ( got married ) and then moved into our current place in March 2013 a very big 3 bed 2 bathroom bungalow.

2 kids later we're looking to move now into a 5 bedroom house. Hope to stay here a minimum of 5 years.
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 14th Oct 16, 2:39 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 3,279 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    Unless you're talking about the VERY short term of say less than a year then I've never understood this. You would think most landlords do it for a profit so it's hard to see how renting (i.e. paying the landlord's mortgage at commercial rates) can be cheaper than buying (i.e. paying your own mortgage at residential rates) in the vast majority of cases.

Not my problem either. In 30 years of home ownership I've never had to replace a roof, boiler or any other expensive remediation. I'm sure somebody somewhere must have to pay out for these things but I don't think it occurs anywhere near as often as the HPC crowd would like you to believe.

I have however made a very handsome profit on my house purchases and subsequent sales over those 30 years which would still leave me one very happy bunny even if I had had to pay out £50k for a roof.
    Originally posted by MobileSaver
    When you buy or let historic grade II* listed houses (and other country's equivalents) on several acres of land, get back to me on that!
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 14th Oct 16, 5:51 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 1,366 Thanks
    When you buy or let historic grade II* listed houses
    Originally posted by Quizzical Squirrel
    Ah, so not a normal residential property then; it almost goes without saying that you'll be out of pocket if you buy a listing building.

Amazon Prime Customer?
    Don't forget to cancel your automatic renewal unless you are happy with the price hike to £79 a year!
    • Starchaser
    • By Starchaser 14th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    I bought my first place just over a year ago. It's a 2-bed semi-detached starter home in a modern-ish village just outside of the nearest town. Planning to live here a total of 5 to 10 years then get something bigger.

I could've got a larger mortgage and bought a bigger place straight away but financially this house makes so much sense. Bills are pretty low, area is nice with a good balance of peace and quiet and plenty of social life in easy reach. It is a 20-minute drive to work but I don't mind that at all (gives me time to wake up ). The only real downside, if I wanted to be really picky, is that the house doesn't have much character as it's reasonably modern.

All in all my current place is a great bachelor pad whilst I'm single but if I ever do the whole marriage and kids thing it'd definitely be too small (in fact their growing family was the only reason the previous owners sold).

In any case I certainly don't view this as my forever home - in a perfect world that'd be a rural farm house with a small bit of land . Maybe one day...
    Last edited by Starchaser; 14-10-2016 at 8:32 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 15th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    6 months in our first and only rented home, then we bought. 18 months in that home. (8 years in that one, now hopefully in our forever home.)
    • alipops1986
    • By alipops1986 15th Oct 16, 1:42 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    Bought my first house in 2009, stayed there until 2013. Boyfriend move in with me in that house in 2011. I then sold up in 2013 and we put together to buy our current house.

Current house is 4 bedroom, 1 study, 2 bathroom detached with double garage. Boyfriend is now my husband and we have a little boy. My 2nd house technically, first one he's bought. We have no plans to move from here for at least another 8 years - locked in the mortgage, more than happy with the £732 a month mortgage costs. Lovely, peaceful village - great location for work and to raise our little boy.
    Married: August 2013
    Moved into our Family Home: August 2013
    Our Baby Boy arrived August 2014
    • Elfbert
    • By Elfbert 15th Oct 16, 3:58 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    Bought my first flat July 2012, and just selling it now!

Hope to stay in the next one (a 2 bedder) until I leave my job and head back to the Countryside where I grew up - currently in the smog of London So plan to be in that one quite a while 10+ years at least. Just trying to find one we like enough for the long term.
    Mortgage - £68,000 may 2014 46,800.
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 15th Oct 16, 6:49 PM
    • 7,636 Posts
    • 11,015 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    Gosh. This is my first home which I bought 20 or so years ago and now mortgage free.

It suits me, great location, nice area, convenient for travel and commuting and nice neighbours so I've never felt the need to move.

My best friend has just sold her first house - she's lived there for 28 years!
    • user8526
    • By user8526 16th Oct 16, 9:48 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    We purchased in February- we wanted a house but budget wouldn't stretch so instead we're in a new build flat in the centre of an up and coming area just outside of London where lots of regeneration is happening. We will look to move in the next couple of years or so where we hopefully make a decent profit and can then find somewhere that we can stay for much much longer next time.
    • exiled_red
    • By exiled_red 16th Oct 16, 10:05 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    We bought the flat that we had been renting for a few years knowing that we want to move to a house eventually, we bought the place 2 years ago and would hope to move on in another 2 or 3 years. We were happy renting and saving for a house but when the landlord asked if we had considered buying the flat it seemed to make sense as he gave us a good deal. So hopefully we can make a decent profit on it which will go towards something more long term.
    • Mortgage Moog
    • By Mortgage Moog 17th Oct 16, 8:28 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Mortgage Moog
    6 months in our first and only rented home, then we bought. 18 months in that home. (8 years in that one, now hopefully in our forever home.)
    Originally posted by ThePants999
    This sounds like what I plan to do. Did you have any trouble selling after just 18 months? Lots of people on here keep telling me you have to stay for years in your first home but I don't see why if you can be saving a lot each month. I have a tiny mortgage and the whole thing will be paid off in 4 years so I'm hoping to move after 12 to 18 months, mainly due to having no stamp duty to pay!
    • sukavi2011
    • By sukavi2011 19th Oct 16, 8:58 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Bought mine 3 bed mid terrace,with ex 30 years ago and now on own, had children who have now left home, so thought I would downsize. Wrong, to get flat wouldnt be that much cheaper, be leasehold and have to pay groundrent n service charge yearly so forget that. 1 bed house just enough room to 'swing a cat' considering got 2 grandkids now. Therefore have opted for 2/3 bed, same size as got, though in a better area and nearer grandkids. Does mean upping mort term but I will consider my situation again in a few years time.
    • Ithilien
    • By Ithilien 23rd Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    We're hoping to buy a new build next year (on the waiting list). This will be our first owned home after renting since graduating in 2008. 5 bed detached, 3 bathrooms, study, double external garage, etc. Planning for it to be our home at least until our daughter has grown up, so at least 20 years or so - she's about to turn 3.

We've always rented; living within M25 prices just kept increasing and getting more and more out of reach. So we're moving back up north - the 5 bed detached is cheaper than what we'd pay here for a 2 bed flat.
    • whizzybee
    • By whizzybee 24th Oct 16, 9:17 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    I have just bought my first house although will be living in it with my partner (soon to be husband). We have gone cheap as chips, basically because I alone am covering the mortgage (my partner has only just set up a new business so not enough proof of income) so its a tired property. We are planning on doing a full renovation over the next few years and it is currently 2 bed but if we can afford it, it would make sense to split into 3 (the bathroom is big enough to swing a cat and then some). We plan to be here for 5-10 years, we already like the neighbours and as it such a small relatively isolated terrace, if we !!!! off one neighbour, we will !!!! them all off! It is a small but relatively spacious property with a small garden, although I would in the far future like a property with a larger garden.

But it is perfect for what we want right now; semi-rural, nice neighbours, bit of a project but nothing fundamentally wrong with the house, just needs redecorating, some damp issues sorting etc. Already getting stuck in. Why oh why was woodchip wallpaper so popular..
    • moneycantbuyyouhappiness
    • By moneycantbuyyouhappiness 24th Oct 16, 9:30 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    We have just bought our first home. It's a 4 bed detached with integral garage, on a little cul-de-sac in a gorgeous area of town.

We had to compromise on room sizes over the new build we were going to buy, but it has so much character we really love it. Plan on staying here forever. We always planned to buy our forever home straight away. After seeing friends with kids having to move back to their parents as they are stuck in negative equity or can't afford a larger deposit. I get a lovely feeling walking into the bedrooms knowing one day they will be full of our kids belongings.
    LBM: 17 August 2015 Debt at Highest: £7632 DFD: 26 May 2016
    I am strong, because Iíve been weak - I am fearless, because Iíve been afraid
    I am wise, because Iíve been foolish
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 24th Oct 16, 9:47 AM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 1,407 Thanks
    Prior to buying the current place I'd averaged about 9 years (4 "primary residence" homes over 36 years, excluding the current/last one, minus a few short spells in rentals).

I'm hoping they'll carry me out of this one in a box in another 25 years which will bump the average up...

What is more spooky than numbers is the way these homes' purchase costs escalated; fairly steadily in the 20th Century; £10k, £34k, £75k, but nightmarishly in the 21st; £350k, £720k!

I wish you hadn't asked
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 24th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    • 20,462 Posts
    • 83,125 Thanks
    . Why oh why was woodchip wallpaper so popular..
    Originally posted by whizzybee
    Woodchip and anagypta were popular ways to disguise failing and blown plaster.

If yours was used for this purpose, and it's lasted until now, it's done the the job.

It also means you may have the job!
    'You have to think anyway, so why not think big?' Donald Trump
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 24th Oct 16, 11:31 AM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 6,051 Thanks
    We bought our first property last year (2 bed semi) and have just accepted an offer on it to move into a lager property (4 bed detached) so we can start a family in a few years.

We didn't plan to move so quickly but we quickly realised we would need more space because medical issues mean children will be happening sooner than planned (if all goes well), may as well move before we have little ones while we can.
    Also gives me a good year or so of chunky overpaying to the mortgage before maternity leave (after remaining debt is paid off) so we should be in a relatively comfortable position
    £2200/3000 OH BC(26.66% PAID) £1900/3851 B/C (50.66% PAID)
    £750/1000 Tesco (25% PAID) MBNA £3495/3795.64 (7.92% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D & MBNA PAID
    LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £8345/31010.23 (73.08% paid)
    Mortgage - £85,500.00 (O/P £536.75 so far) PAYDBX 16 #006 - £13719.90/£10000
    • anto164
    • By anto164 24th Oct 16, 11:43 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    We bought our first house earlier this year. We wanted to spend less and live for a few years then move, however a house that came up which ticked all of our boxes but was around £30k over budget, we decided to bite the bullet and view.

We fell in love with it, and bought it. It feels like we made the choice in getting a more family home, rather than a first house, we have no plans to do up and move, just take our time and settle into our home. It does feel like we could be here for a long time which is great.
    • William Donati
    • By William Donati 24th Oct 16, 11:59 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    William Donati
    Having recently bought my first home I find there's an interesting split between people who buy cheap to move on within a few months/years and those that aim high to get the place they want right from the start.

How long did you spend in your first property? Has anyone moved on to their second and regretted leaving the first? I'd be interested to hear everyone's stories.
    Originally posted by Mortgage Moog

After years of wait , we had our new house built and sold our old house for a reasonable rate. Since it was our dream come true, we were had all reasons to be happy. We were celebrating. Its true there are nostalgic thoughts associated with my old house. Yet we know that we have to move on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

343Posts Today

3,726Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • BBC weather just told us clocks going back means "everyone gets an extra hour's sleep". Hmmm not if you've young children or on nightshift.

• Pension cold callers and misselling ruins lives. This petition is trying to stop them sign if u agree.

• Thank you Microsoft (Tom)

• Follow Martin