PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How long did you/will you spend in your first home?

Options

Comments

• lippy1923
    lippy1923 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brought our first home (2 bed semi) over 6 years ago and still there now. I have to admit we are outgrowing it now we have a son. The toys alone need their own room! If we ever have another child, we will have no choice really but to upsize.
    Total Mortgage OP £61,000
    Outstanding Mortgage £27,971
    Emergency Fund £62,100
    I AM NOW MORTGAGE NEUTRAL!!!! <<Sep-20>>

• carguy143
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    How do you cross the road if there are no traffic lights in the whole town?

The town has a series of well lit footpaths connected by footbridges and subways across major roads. I think there's one, possibly two zebra crossing in the old part of the town but I never really have reason to go there. I walk 1.5 miles to work and only have to use said bridges and subways.
  • amateur_house
    Options
    I remember finding out a few months back that you can't get a mortgage on a property above commercial property. Did you know you also can't mortgage any property with more than one kitchen? Not sure why but I remember reading that. I think it's something to do with two kitchen properties being classed as commercial.

Thanks for taking the time to share your story.

Things must have changed since we bought our house, 20 years ago now. It had been split into flats and had 3 kitchens. We turned it back into a house so it just has one kitchen now.
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think it all boils down to the fact that renting, in the short term anyway, is cheaper than buying.

Unless you're talking about the VERY short term of say less than a year then I've never understood this. You would think most landlords do it for a profit so it's hard to see how renting (i.e. paying the landlord's mortgage at commercial rates) can be cheaper than buying (i.e. paying your own mortgage at residential rates) in the vast majority of cases.
    But I can rent that money pit, house and land, and it doesn't matter to me that it will soon need a new 50K roof or there's some other issue whose expensive remediation is keeping the landlord up at night. Not my problem.

Not my problem either. In 30 years of home ownership I've never had to replace a roof, boiler or any other expensive remediation. I'm sure somebody somewhere must have to pay out for these things but I don't think it occurs anywhere near as often as the HPC crowd would like you to believe.

I have however made a very handsome profit on my house purchases and subsequent sales over those 30 years which would still leave me one very happy bunny even if I had had to pay out £50k for a roof. ;)
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • bownyboy
    bownyboy Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We bought our first home together in March 2009. We had rented together for 3 years previously so knew what each other wanted.

It helps if you both want the same thing or are able to compromise! We knew the moment we saw our house that it was our 'forever' home.

7 years later we still love our house, although we might rent it out in a years time for a year and rent somewhere else for a change (we're lucky living in surrey so able to make use of huge increases in equity).
    early retirement wannabe
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    rented for several years .first house I bought was a 2 bedroom mid terrace .It was owned by the bank .It was all I could afford .I stayed six years .Now I own four houses .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Where did you live while renting it out?

Still with parents.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I spent about 4 years in my first property, and then someone else caused much of it to be gutted by fire.

It was scary at the time, but the best thing that could have happened.

I went on a fast-track course in basic building and creative accountancy. I also learned lots about hiring and firing, thanks to some incredibly lax and incompetent loss adjusters.

As a result, 6 months later, the house was vastly improved and we enjoyed another 6 years in it without doing any DIY.
  • King_Nothing
    Options
    FTB a 4 bed detatched, shouldn't need to move for a long while yet.
  • Mortgage_Moog
    Options
    basil92 wrote: »
    Lived in it for 25 years...

Shared it for 3 years, rented it for 10 years, then bought and owned it for the remaining 12...

..it never ever was 'home' though!!!

Where did you consider to be home during all that time then?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure