PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How long did you/will you spend in your first home?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• whizzybee
    whizzybee Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Woodchip and anagypta were popular ways to disguise failing and blown plaster.

If yours was used for this purpose, and it's lasted until now, it's done the the job.

It also means you may have the job!

Yeah we were anticipating some re-plastering... the plaster underneath actually looks in good condition but someone will be coming out to give us a second opinion. Its only in one room that we know of. Yeah the pitfalls of old and tired properties...!
  • FTBNewb
    Options
    aim high to get the place they want right from the start

That's what we've done. Hoping to exchange contracts in a couple of weeks.
    We're planning on staying there for at least 15 years, until kids fly the nest.
    It's a £475k house with a 5% deposit, so it's a lot of borrowing! But we've done a lot of moving around in the last few years. Our 5 year old son has lived in 3 different countries and 6 different homes, so we really want some long term stability.
  • Alarae
    Alarae Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Depends if you are talking to me or my husband! :rotfl:

Bought our house in April 2015, 3 bed terrace in a fab location (five minute walk from shops, five minute to gym/primary and secondary schools) but it is a classic example of a tired property. Woodchip wallpaper (bane of my life!), wooden cladding on the wall in the kitchen, dodgy tiling... Unfortunately the last couple who owned it lived here for 26 years- it looks as if it was decorated 25 years ago!

Technically it is a home we don't have to move from, as we do have the space for a family when the time comes and the location is good. I would however prefer a 3 bed semi-detached, as being an ex-council, the soundproofing isn't great.

Unfortunately my dad was made redundant this year and can realistically look to stay in his home for another two years tops. My sister would love to buy the house from him but due to debts left from her ex she doesn't have the affordability.

Thinking it may be an option to buy as a buy to let (my dad would move out and buy elsewhere with the proceeds, so no issue there) so that my sister can buy it off us to keep it in the family. Would mean we can't move from this house though.

Ah well. We have only just moved in really. So no point planning the next house when we still have this one to contend with!
  • lumpyspaceprincess
    Options
    That''s interesting because after buying my first place I might well rent next year until I can afford to buy again. How does it feel going "back" to renting? It's not always a backwards step but it seems that way.

It doesn't feel like a step back, in that it's what I needed to do to get by. It does however become increasingly infuriating the longer I have to pay rent to someone else and deal with them stalling on things, when if it was my place I'd have so much more control. It's the relinquishing of control that's hardest!
    ¤ £25k paid off with Stepchange DMP ¤ Debt Free 01/09/17 ¤
    ¤ Saving for a house deposit by '19 ¤ Savs @ £20,000 ¤

• Wizard_of_Id
    Options
    24 years and counting, mortgage free for the last 8 years :)
  • Moonhead
    Options
    As soon as I can, house is lovely but the walls are much thinner than I thought. Both families have had news sons within the space of 6 weeks. I want to scream as it was loud enough before with their 2 year olds both sides. I have an anxiety disorder so it stresses me even more.

I fixed for 5years (been there 1) and regret it so much although I can transfer the mortgage.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Did anyone hit on the perfect house and location first time?

I think I did (fingers crossed still, of course!)

Bought as my first house over thirty years ago now. I remember Mum and Dad saying "buy the best house you can afford NOW". And I stretched myself a bit and did.

It is terraced, lovely long garden, South facing, garage and access to the rear, not overlooked, great neighbours. After viewing about ten houses in the area I saw this one. It was tired and dated, but I got "the feels" and bought it.

Still here. Bought on my own as a female, and that wasn't easy either back in the day, from the bank manager to the Revenue, they were all on my case. But I survived!

I will only move on now if I find the stairs too much when I get older. But there are ways around that too!

I enjoyed reading the thread.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Promotion meant a move to new office 60 miles away after just over 2 years
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure