IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Received LBCCC - Thinking of giving in :(

Options
JackieD1234
JackieD1234 Posts: 12 Forumite
edited 6 July 2016 at 11:50PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hey Everyone,

You'll see this is my first post as today, after ignoring many letters, I received a letter before county court claim.

The PPC in question is UKPC and the letter was sent by there solicitors.

I have _ tickets for not having my permit on display in my residential car park (I am a tenant in a block of flats), each now claiming a debt of _ so £_in total.

I know that this forum is about fighting parking tickets and not giving in to their extortion, but I am considering offering a 'Without prejudice offer' to avoid the time and expense of a court case. Can anyone advise me on what would be a suitable amount to offer? and what this depends on? Are they likely to accept?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Before you offer them anything, read this
    • You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • JackieD1234
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, I have seen this and I do realise that these people are money-grabbing scammers but the threat of court is serious....

The amount of time and effort that I will need to put in to make my case is worrying and I have personal issues at the moment which mean I don't want to have to go through the stress of this.

I'm a resident and I think its disgraceful that I'm being charged for this, but my letting agent has passed me on to the managing agent and the managing agent says they do not get involved with parking issues. I feel like I'm getting no where.

Hypothetically, if I am to make an offer, how would I decide how much to make?

It's my own making I guess but please help :(
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    please do not do any thing hasty .....

it may well be possible to get you an advocate .......

There have been several court victories for residents against scammer like this lot ..........

please let us know more details ....

what does your lease say ?

if you give in they will mark you down as an easy target ......

it is likely they will keep targeting you ... :o

do not give up yet, you will get the best advice ever here !

good luck

Ralph:cool:
  • JackieD1234
    Options
    I'm just a tenant so there's no lease except the one held by the landlord who I am not able to contact.

My tenancy agreement doesn't mention anything about parking, the car park has a lot of signs to.

I know the case would be a lot easier if I was the flat owner and had an agreement but mine seems to be just a standard one from the estate agent and doesn't go into detail regarding parking.

I didn't appeal or go through POPLA, and even that seems like a lot of effort. I just want this to go away :/
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Read this

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5488129

A derisory offer, quoting this case might, may make them back off.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,729 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 5 July 2016 at 7:39PM
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

You'll see this is my first post as today, after ignoring many letters, I received a letter before county court claim.

The PPC in question is UKPC and the letter was sent by there solicitors, SCS.

I have 6 tickets for not having my permit on display in my residential car park (I am a tenant in a block of flats), each now claiming a debt of £165 so £930 in total.

I know that this forum is about fighting parking tickets and not giving in to their extortion, but I am considering offering a 'Without prejudice offer' to avoid the time and expense of a court case. Can anyone advise me on what would be a suitable amount to offer? and what this depends on? Are they likely to accept?

Thanks for any advice

6 x PCNs is £600, not £930. We know they've added costs but in fact those punitive arbitrary costs can be part of your objection in your defence. You can say they appear to have been added as a fixed sum 'per PCN' with no justification and merely to inflate the charge even further, despite the ceilings in the POFA and the BPA Code of Practice.

And NO, UKPC will not consider an offer, IMHO. So you may as well fight it with an aim of either winning or paying less than £930 which includes inflated charges:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5489157

Compare notes with that poster. Seems pointless to give up and almost criminal to pay a large sum of (suopporting the scam) money to this bunch:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11858473/Parking-firm-UKPC-admits-faking-tickets-to-fine-drivers.html

UKPC cases can be won on signage, re 'no permit':

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/bargepole-spanks-ukpc-in-court-no.html

Even if you lost you'd pay less than £750, almost certainly (even with court fee). And no CCJ, no black mark on your credit rating - and you will know you tried, as a matter of principle.

So, think about it and then show us what you are intending to send in response to the LBCCC. Perhaps asking for timed/dated photos of the occasions when the car was deemed to be in contravention (because those photos may have been doctored - but obviously don't say that!)...not joking, worth a close look at the background and looking for similar other cars/shadows on the six 'different' occasions.

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Grimble
    Grimble Posts: 455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is not court with wigs, it is a man or lady in a big office in civvies, all very polite.
  • JackieD1234
    Options
    Thank you.

Why would they not consider it? Is it not in their interest to avoid going to court too?

Is there any harm in puting in a without prejudice offer as suggested?

Obviously it would not be ridiculous, like £1, but for example a couple of hundred.. If they were to win approx £750 in court, after deducting their legal expenses, they wouldn't claim much more 'profit' than a few hundred would they?

I do agree that in principle I should defend but with other commitments, it's not ideal - if it comes to it then I shall though.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,729 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 5 July 2016 at 7:45PM
    Options
    No, it's not in their interests to settle; they want to intimidate you and they choose multi-PCN cases because it's worth the court fee. No they won't settle for a couple of hundred - it has been tried. It doesn't stop them, so expect a hearing in the Autumn, to have to resolve this (at least a Judge will hear your side of it and can knock the claim down even if you do not win).

Not saying not to try a WP offer though - you can certainly try it (on a separate sheet from the main reply to the LBCCC). Both can be in the same envelope. Do not say who was driving on any occasion, nothing about who parked.

DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY PRIVATE MESSAGE OFFERING TO 'HELP' WITH THIS MATTER. SUCH PM'S COULD BE FROM ANYONE AND ARE INVARIABLY FROM POSTERS WITH LESS THAN 1000 POSTS TO THEIR NAME. PARKING FIRMS READ THESE THREADS.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • JackieD1234
    Options
    I see. Hypothetically, if anyone could tell me what a good amount to offer would be (i.e the lowest that they would accept) I'd be thankful - I get that it depends on the cases, but roughly speaking... Just so I know where I stand.

In defending this, which I will do regardless of the WP offer, what should my first steps be? Sorry if its a silly question, I just don't really know where to start.

I can read some other forum posts and defences for Ukpc and similiar cases...

And does the format and content of their LBCCC matter? I read a thread about LBCCC fightback which looks to be from a couple years go. The links to government websites are quite confusing especially when I'm not familiar with the law in this detail :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure