I despair of the education system.

Options

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't know where in the country you live but I can tell you that here children learn their times table and mental arithmetic and have weekly maths tests from an early age.

This is the applied throughout England and Wales, come KS4 half of the examinations are non-calculator. The calculator paper would have traditionally used log books etc.
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My son is 6yrs old and they are learning times tables at school (and home of course).

It comes easier to some. Same as reading I guess. I'm an educated woman and expect high standards for my children's education- I'm not disappointed so far with their mainstream school.

Of course, learning begins at home (or should). But children don't appear with manuals and guide books.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    This is the applied throughout England and Wales, come KS4 half of the examinations are non-calculator. The calculator paper would have traditionally used log books etc.

Oh goodness, yes, log books, I'd forgotten all about those :rotfl:
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Hermione_Granger
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    One of the items was a tray of 12 cans. She started counting them, so I said "There's 12. Four by Three".

Her reply was "I'm not very good at maths".

When she'd rung up all the items, she told me it was £19-01.

How much were the individual items?
    If they were £1.58 each the total would have been £18.96 and if they were £1.59 each, it would have been £19.08 so I can't see how 12 identical items could have cost a total of £19.01
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If they were £1.58 each the total would have been £18.96 and if they were £1.59 each, it would have been £19.08 so I can't see how 12 identical items could have cost a total of £19.01

There was other shopping not just the 12 cans is my guess.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options

'One' of the items was the 12 cans, assuming theres more in there as well.

Anyway not quite sure whats the problem. People can be crap at Maths, its a thing. Dyscalculia is also a thing.

Also marking an essay on content and grammar, rather than spelling, is also a thing. You mark based on the criteria set out when the essay was given. Very few children (and adults) would achieve well if 100% correct spelling was part of every assignment.

Also I cannot believe a parent marched into school to protest that child should have been given a lower grade. How charming and supportive.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I asked for a kilo of steak at the meat counter in Sainsbury's a while ago.

The young (18ish) chap on the counter asked "how many grammes is that ?"
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was in a bank doing a transaction, the young lady couldn't work out ten percent!!
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    I've had this same experience on many occasions and there doesn't seem to any common factor such as age amongst the cashiers concerned.
    Quite often they get totally confused when you give them notes and a small amount of change and getting the correct money back sometimes takes far longer than if you had simply handed over paper money alone.

I fully understand that not everyone will be good at mental arithmetic but surely if one of the main aspects of your job is dealing with money, employers should make sure that the people they pay to do the work can do it correctly when required.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

There's was more than just the tray of tins. There were other items too.

You will notice I said "One of the items was a tray of 12 cans".

IIRC, the tins were 79p each.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport