Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Tony
    • By MSE Tony 14th May 15, 12:35 PM
    • 64Posts
    • 14Thanks
    MSE Tony
    AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion
    • 14th May 15, 12:35 PM
    AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion 14th May 15 at 12:35 PM
    Hi,

This is a feedback thread on car breakdown provider:

AutoAid

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part:
    • Have you experienced problems?
    • Did you haggle and succeed?

The feedback comes as part of the Cheap Breakdown Cover guide.

Thank you,

MSE Tony
    Last edited by MSE Tony; 14-05-2015 at 1:04 PM.
Page 5
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 28th Dec 16, 6:39 PM
    • 6,669 Posts
    • 47,174 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Made a big mistake in signing up with these guys.

Also a £15 administration charge for cancelling even the first 14 days after signing up.

Such a scam. Avoid.
    Originally posted by Amorgos
    So what was your mistake signing up? Bad experience or simple change of mind?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• RL11
    • By RL11 30th Dec 16, 9:04 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    RL11
    Amorgos: What on earth happened within 14 days, that you decided to cancel?? Scam??? - doesn't seem likely that MSE would recommend a scam!

I am thinking of signing up with them as it's recommended by MSE and it's just so cheap!

I'm being put off by some of these recent posts but I don't think there is any breakdown company out there, that wouldn't have some customers having had a bad experience during a call out. The RAC want to charge me a ridiculous amount to renew with them, so I will be trying someone else but who will guarantee me perfect service? Unless I hear stories of them not attending a breakdown, I don't think taking a while longer than I hoped to attend or charging tiny admin fees to cancel is going to put me off.
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 31st Dec 16, 11:53 AM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    EdGasket
    Not recommended as now owned by RCI. Do your own research.
    • RL11
    • By RL11 31st Dec 16, 11:59 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    RL11
    I am doing my own research! Not recommended by you, you mean? - purely because owned by RCI now? Or because you have experience of poor breakdown service since takeover? It's still top pick on the MSE breakdown cover page.
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 31st Dec 16, 12:13 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    EdGasket
    Read recent autoaid reviews since RCI takeover; read reviews of RCI itself; then decide yourself.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 31st Dec 16, 4:23 PM
    • 14,812 Posts
    • 126,529 Thanks
    zagubov
    I've read about RCI so I know what's being referred to. I haven't heard bad reviews of Autoaid since the takeover. It was working swimmingly for me in recent years and I'm due to renew soon.

If I don't find recent negative reviews I'm happy to stick with them.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • tbickle
    • By tbickle 6th Jan 17, 4:44 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    tbickle
    2017 and I don't like the new setup at all
    Have been using Autoaid for a number of years, as recommended by MSE.

However, with the change of ownership/administrator, the experience seems to be now completely different, and quite a deterioration of service altogether.

For one, they now cheekily charge a "cancellation fee", and they have introduced a number of other fees. As I understand it, both the underwriters and the administrators intend to charge you on cancellation. What's more, there is no real cooling off period, so they will effectively charge you most of the amount even if you change your mind within the first two weeks.

They claim that all these charges are sanctioned by the Financial Services Authority -- as if that somehow justifies that kind of fee-grabbing and makes the whole thing reasonable.

Moreover, the company's telephone attitude is very unhelpful, unfriendly, and unaccommodating; very argumentative, rude (disrupting) and patronising.

Very disappointing, and I am quite put off by this new setup.

TB
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 6th Jan 17, 5:30 PM
    • 4,463 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    Just renewed with Autoaid for another year. Been with them for 10 years now. Only had to use them three times, never a problem.

I belong to two car clubs and virtually all the members are with Autoaid, never heard any complaints.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Jan 17, 6:30 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,003 Thanks
    Quentin
    The problem with Autoaid now is the company who bought them.

So all previous good reviews count for nothing.

The long running thread on RCIB gives an insight into their ways of dealing with customers!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2330305

Compare that with the feedback Autoaid used to get prior to the sellout
    Last edited by Quentin; 06-01-2017 at 6:35 PM.
    • oligopoly
    • By oligopoly 6th Feb 17, 4:25 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    oligopoly
    Call me a cynic ("You're a cynic!") but a high percentage of recent posters above criticizing Autoaid are also first-time posters. Makes you wonder...
    Increasingly money-conscious
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 7th Feb 17, 12:29 PM
    • 4,696 Posts
    • 15,710 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Have been using Autoaid for a number of years, as recommended by MSE.

However, with the change of ownership/administrator, the experience seems to be now completely different, and quite a deterioration of service altogether.

For one, they now cheekily charge a "cancellation fee", and they have introduced a number of other fees. As I understand it, both the underwriters and the administrators intend to charge you on cancellation. What's more, there is no real cooling off period, so they will effectively charge you most of the amount even if you change your mind within the first two weeks.

They claim that all these charges are sanctioned by the Financial Services Authority -- as if that somehow justifies that kind of fee-grabbing and makes the whole thing reasonable.

TB
    Originally posted by tbickle
    Most places now do charge a cancellation fee. However, not many people would actually be cancelling this cover. The only time you would cancel it is if you decided to stop driving. Its not car specific so you wouldn't need to cancel if you change cars.

For something that is only £40 a year any admin fees are going to outweigh the yearly costs when cancelling in most circumstances.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Money2017
    • By Money2017 15th Feb 17, 3:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Money2017
    First Post on MSE! I have been with Auto Aid for a number of years. Car broke down last weekend 5 pm on a Saturday, Car warning system came up with "Engine Failure" alert, Someone was with us in under an hour, friendly and helpful service from call centre, engine was checked found to be an instrumentation problem and we carried on our way. No receipts or claim forms to deal with, all done automatically. I hope this information is useful to somebody
    • doleawg
    • By doleawg 15th Feb 17, 4:08 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    doleawg
    I've used them twice, turned up, smiled, did job, no argument from me.
    • melbury
    • By melbury 24th Feb 17, 6:39 PM
    • 9,713 Posts
    • 14,581 Thanks
    melbury
    I have received my renewal reminder and was quite surprised that I can no longer pay via cheque. On phoning them I was told that there would be no charge for paying by credit card, so did that.

Hopefully they don't keep your credit card details and then auto-renew - does anyone know about that?

Is it also true that you no longer have to pay and then reclaim any costs? If that is the case, then it seems a very progressive step.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

• CanVan
    • By CanVan 5th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CanVan
    AWFUL.
    Recovery turned up with NO TOOLS. Had to lend him a flathead screwdriver -which my friend eventually used to fix the problem.
    I called Autoaid out as I hoped they would fix the problem of a stuck fuel cap with more finesse than hitting it with the screwdriver as my friend suggested.
    Autoaid prodded it for about 15 minutes but then rang someone else for advise, saying "I just drive the truck"
    I bought a policy with them on the strength of recommendations on MSE only to find months in, my van is NOT actually covered as it's a 3500kg! I gave them all my DVLA details and they took my money.
    I am now trying to get a refund for miss-selling the policy.
    Thank goodness I wasn't in a real dilemma alone!
    • scousemicky
    • By scousemicky 15th Mar 17, 2:21 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    scousemicky
    Impressed!
    Dead battery today. Phoned Autoaid.

They said recovery would be an hour. After 55 minutes Autoaid phoned me to ask if recovery had turned up, I said no. She then put me on hold while she contacted recovery. Said it would be 15 more minutes.

Recovery got to me within the 15 minutes. Autoaid also phoned me again on the 15 minute mark to ask if he had turned up.

Mechanic sorted battery out n I just signed his form, nothing to pay.

Took car for a 30 min drive and all's good.

Can't ask for any more than that! Been with them since 2013, used them once in 2015 and earlier today. No problems each time, perfect!
    • MickM
    • By MickM 27th Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MickM
    Works fine for me
    My car stopped about 10 miles from home and 5 miles from my local garage. I rang the garage and they came and towed my car to their premises. The bill for this was £36.
    I subsequently rang AutoAid and they emailed me a claim form which I returned with the garage invoice.
    Three days later I received a cheque for the £36.
    I have been a member for several years now and have claimed using both the "old" reclaim system (as above) and the "new" system where they dispatch a breakdown vehicle and no payment is required.
    If I can use my choice of garage and they are available then the service will be quicker. If not I have to wait for a breakdown vehicle which has never taken more than an hour.
    I must add though that all my troubles have occurred locally within about 20 miles!
    • dunc673
    • By dunc673 29th Mar 17, 5:28 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dunc673
    I read MSE advice pages on breakdown insurance and checked out AutoAid. I had a few queries which could not be answered on their FAQ's so repeatedly tried phoning them over 2 day period, no answer whatsoever, so best check this out MSE team. I even emailed them yesterday, requesting they call me back when less busy....still waiting, seems RAC are about to get my business instead, they answer their phone. Just as well I wasn't broken down yesterday!
    • o202
    • By o202 2nd Apr 17, 4:08 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    o202
    Signed up with AutoAid a few weeks back (through Quidco, every little helps).

Low and behold, pulled up to lights last Monday and car starts misbehaving. Pulled up and called AutoAid, spoke to a pleasant chap who asked the usual info about where I was, what the issue was etc.

He couldn't get a response from the recovery firm whilst I was on the call but asked if I was okay to finish the call and he would text me the details in the next 5 minutes. Finished the call, text came straight through with details of who would be coming out and a time to expect them by.

Recovery driver turned up, had a play with the car, couldn't work out what was up so took me to a garage.

Only slight issue I had was I had my dog with me. AutoAid did ask as part of their questions about who was in the car, mentioned the dog, told not an issue, will find a recovery agent who is okay with this. Upon arrival, recovery guy said it was a H&S issue and dog couldn't ride with us. Luckily, I managed to sort something out for the pup but don't think this is strictly AutoAids fault, more the recovery firm for OK'ing the job.

So around two weeks in and I reckon I've got my 40 quids worth.
    • GraceK
    • By GraceK 3rd Apr 17, 9:45 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    GraceK
    Worked Really Well
    We've been with Autoaid for a few years now & was thoroughly confused (til I read the last few posts on this thread) by their change of working procedures - to the way most other breakdown cover works - you no longer pay up front for work & reclaim the costs - you are simply covered.

Had a flat battery at home - guy with a battery charger arrived in about 20 minutes & found the alternator belt had been thrown off. Second equally helpful guy arrived in less than an hour with a low-loader & took us to the garage of our choice.

Two weeks later we had a flat battery again, (as we hadn't taken ti for a long enough drive following the fixing of the belt) - the phone operator confirmed that we had had the previous issue fixed & that we had paperwork to prove it (as per their T&C's) and then the same guy with the low loader came out in less than 20 minutes to jump the car for us.

Both times the call centre called back to confirm that their workmen had arrived & that we were happy with the service provided.

Would definitely recommend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

901Posts Today

6,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Today's Twitter poll: If you had to pick one, who do you think is coming out best so far in the Brexit negotiations, UK or EU?

• It isn't an article by me.I don't write for express. They just cunningly report my tv appearances as if I did. https://t.co/0DDfDU7Kbp

• Follow Martin