PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord is not happy with me signing into the Electoral Roll

Options
Hi guys,
I have moved to London about 5 months ago and I was quite happy and lucky to find a reasonable room with an affordable price, it even looked better because I signed a contract.

Now after probably 3 or 4 months I have decided I should sort out my credit score situation which was let down by the addresses not matching. So I have gone online and updated my electoral roll profile and address.
Today a letter from the council arrived with my name and Landlords's name asking to confirm the details, as there will be voting soon.
Needless to say now I have an unhappy landlord who actually wasn't all honest with the council all this time. Also to mention is that the 3rd person in house right now is not present on that paper. He is upset and he is saying that now his council tax will go up.
Is there a way to amend my details from the electoral roll? I want to get out of the list, and obviously I won't apply for a credit or CC.
But wouldn't that mean I would have to put a new address in?
Landlord said if this stays like this, I would have to pay more each month for the rent

Comments

• sofarbehind
    Options
    That's terrible. Your cheapskate landlord is clearly lying to benefit from the single person discount on council tax. It's really important that you're on the electoral roll. If I were you I'd look for somewhere else to live.
    Mortgage overpayments 2018: £4602, 2019: £7870
    Mortgage overpayments 2020: £4620
    Mortgage 2017 £145K, June 2020 £112.6k:o
  • jayson043
    Options
    No. It's too late. And your landlord should find a letter from the council shortly arrive asking about single person council discount.
  • Ashan
    Ashan Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    I feel a bit bad now, though not sure about it, mixed feelings really. I should've asked but thought everything is ok and as a tenant I have this right. Also I am shocked the 3rd person (a regular person living) is not declared. So probably I messed up here, for me, for him or both...but somehow this is not fair.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Ashan wrote: »
    I feel a bit bad now, though not sure about it, mixed feelings really. I should've asked but thought everything is ok and as a tenant I have this right. Also I am shocked the 3rd person (a regular person living) is not declared. So probably I messed up here, for me, for him or both...but somehow this is not fair.

You have done nothing wrong and so shouldn't feel bad at all, in fact it's a crime not to be on the electoral roll so the 3rd person is the one in the wrong here.

Why isn't it fair? Just to say though the electoral roll is not the same as the list for council tax payers.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why feel bad? its as vital as telling your bank, employer and\or benefits office. If the Landlord has been lying to them, thats his problem and his own downfall, you have only done what everyone else does in this Country.

I'm not sure I would want to continue staying on in a property where the Landlord is not only dodgy, but expecting you to cover for him in the process.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • Ashan
    Options
    What I meant to say is that it's not fair that he get's the discount for single person living in the house when even without me the number should be 2. I feel bad because I didn't ask before, and because this will affect both of us, mostly financially.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 20 February 2015 at 2:01AM
    Options
    If your landlord wanted you to colude with his fraud then perhaps he should have told you the whole story. As for putting your rent up ......is he expecting you to pay his fine too ?

You have no reason to feel bad. Your LL tried to pull a fast one and failed. It's hardly your fault he's stupid as well as committing fraud by making an untrue council tax declaration.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Ashan
    Options
    Well, maybe he underestimated me, maybe he thought I know nothing about electoral roll or credit score. So yeah, I guess it never passed through his mind that I will register/update my details. Like the same it didn't pass through my mind he wasn't declaring the other 2 persons living in the house. A blind reciprocity.
    A bit off hand here, the room was ok, it is daunting to think about finding a new place now. :|
  • Ashan
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind and fast replies.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Best of luck. You shouldn't have to put your life on hold (re electoral registration/credit rating) so the LL can underpay council tax and probably other things like income tax.

I would imagine he's charging the market rate for the room so putting your rent up to enable him to pay council tax increases he should be paying anyway is another claw in for him.

Personally, I'd inform the inland revenue, and council tax people and move out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure