Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Freezing
    Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue
    • 26th Dec 14, 10:26 PM
    Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue 26th Dec 14 at 10:26 PM
    Dear all

I just wanted to give some feed back on the terrible service we have had this Christmas from 24/7 Home Rescue.

Firstly, they are not 24/7 - whist you can make a claim with the engineering company they outsource their work to, you can't actually speak to them directly because they are closed until 5 January 2015! Which company in this day and age is closed for this long without someone being available to contact, especially when the say they are 24/7? I have asked the online "webchat" machine wether they have an emergency number they can contact and all I got was an evasive answer to the effect of "someone will call you soon" presumably when they re-open on 5 January!

Long and short of the story is that we had problems with our boiler. They sent out someone to look at it. This engineer reset the boiler and went on his way. The problems persisted and 24/7 have not sent someone to look at the boiler again as they think the problem is a pressure issue. How would they know this without even looking at the boiler after the problems persisted? Any way, it's a fault with the boiler itself but they won't send anyone out to have a look at it. The boiler has broken down again and when I called the third party engineering line we were told there was a note on the system not to send an engineer out until the dispute was investigated. Problem is, they are closed over Christmas and there is no one we can speak to.

If there was an issue which was genuinely not covered the policy then fine, we would get it fixed. But they they allegedly fixed our boiler then when the problems persisted they said it was a problem with the pressure without even looking at the boiler. Also, pressure isn't specifically excluded from the terms of their service.

I have used both British Gas and Homeserve before and for all their faults, at least you can speak to a person at the company over Christmas. Out of Homeserve and British Gas, I would say Homeserve were the best so will be going back to them.

I am sorry to say that these smaller independent companies really don't provide the same level of service.

Sorry for the rant but I was most disappointed to hear the company left us without cover over Christmas.

We've got the electric heaters on for now!
Page 11
    • WSJ9547
    • By WSJ9547 15th Jan 18, 11:21 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    WSJ9547
    *** warning 24/7 cowboy bandits****
    Absolutely appalling service from 24/7 Home rescue.
    DO NOT GO WITH THEM, a complete con.

Purchased full landlord cover for my property rentals, have had the worst service 3 times now.
    Phoned 24/7 Wedesday 10th January at 7pm
    (My tenant has an emergency leaking taps, water gushing out even though taps turned off)
    Supposed to be 24/7 emergency cover.
    My tenant has to switch the mains off to wait for 24/7 plumber, in a converted block of flats, so 2 other families also living in the block affected by no water.
    Or put water on and encourage damage to the walls and further long term damage from the leak.
    No response so landlord phones 24/7 to have to pay £75 excess to call out the plumber, which she does.
    Thursday 11th January - Still no 24/7 plumber no water for 3 families.
    Phoned 3 times, absolutely appalling customer service.
    Friday 12th January - 2 more calls to 24/7 as no plumber, My tenant has taken 2 days off work as an emergency waiting for the plumber.
    Friday night plumber arrives 48 HOURS LATER from original call.
    And looks at the problem, claims he does not have the materials to fix it, and LEAVES the property without fixing the problem.
    Plumber claims the call center have to authorise for him to use any part to fix it.
    Claims they call centre will call.
    Sat 13th January NO CALL
    Landlord and tenant call, Call centre claim the relevant department have to phone me back apparently the claims dpartment can not help. somoeon will hone back in 1 hour.
    Sunday 14th January NO CALL NO PLUMBER Still leaking, still not fixed.
    WHAT AM I PAYING FOR???!!!!
    Monthly instalments for emergency breakdown cover
    PLUS £75 payment over the phone
    ?????? Absolute bandits.
    I have since had to pay for a plumber to come and fix myself!!!!
    as still no call, leak not fixed.
    Families affected for 7 days and counting now!!
    • Philip13
    • By Philip13 17th Jan 18, 11:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Philip13
    I have also been misled by this company. I took out a policy, paid the higher premium of £19.70 a month, then had to report a minor fault. They sent an engineer after I had paid a so called ‘security charge’ of £75, then after a couple of days, they rang me, told me that my boiler was “beyond economical repair” and they cancelled my policy. A familiar story.

I have rung them on 3 occasions and each time, the call has been terminated by them.

If you are wondering how they have such a good rating on sites such as Trust Pilot. Well, check their actual reviews, many of them comment on how easy it is to set the contract up, how easy it is to pay and how easy it is to navigate their website (all true) now, check how many actually give them a good review AFTER trying to use their service.

Another reason they look good on Trust Pilot is that they constantly complain to Trust Pilot if anybody tries to give them a bad review, you then see this message:-

"247 Home Rescue reported this review for breach of Trustpilot guidelines. We are currently assessing the review in accordance with our reporting processes".

The truth is out there.

If we all just complain on here and do nothing else, they will get away with thousands of our pounds, does anyone have any suggestions?

I live in Bury, which is about 20 minutes away from their offices.
    Last edited by Philip13; 18-01-2018 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Forgot some detail
    • June Daly
    • By June Daly 19th Jan 18, 11:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    June Daly
    Avoid at all Costs
    I called the claims line on Tuesday 9th January to place a call out for my boiler as my heating was not working, firstly it took 20 minutes for the call to be answered, I found this extremely frustrating and as it is an 0345 number.

The advisor I spoke to told me that I was eligible for the repair but as I could not prove that my boiler had been previously serviced I would need to pay an excess fee of £75.00, he told me this would be refunded within seven days once the engineer had seen proof of service, at this point he did not tell me that If the repair was not boiler related I would not get a refund, he led me to believe that it would be refunded within 7 days, upon arrival the engineer took a copy of my last service report from British Gas and told me he would forward it to head office.

The engineer was in my house for no longer than five minutes, he said he knew what the fault was and would order the parts and someone would call me to arrange another visit, I then got a call on Sunday the 14th to say that the part needed was not covered under my Terms and conditions and in order for them to complete the call I would need to pay another £92.00, at that point I said I was not willing to pay anymore money and I would like a refund of my £75.00 as promised, I was then told that this was not possible as the call out was not boiler related, he then said a manager would call me back on Monday the 15th well guess what !! I am still waiting for that call to happen.

At no time during my conversation with the advisor did he state to me that my £75.00 may not be refunded, 247 has taken money from me under false pretences. if the advisor had told me that I would not be eligible for a refund I would not have paid the money in the first place.

My only advice is check the small print in the terms and conditions before you commit, it was my receiver that was faulty, I would class that as part of the boiler as it does not work without it, but they obviously do not.

When you complain to the customer service department all you get is a standard template letter referring you to there terms and condition and the definitions of the agreement to further explain why the claim has been declined.
    • Jaffacat
    • By Jaffacat 19th Jan 18, 11:12 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jaffacat
    Nothing like aldi or Lidl. They are both reputable companies with great customer service!
    • Jaffacat
    • By Jaffacat 19th Jan 18, 11:27 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jaffacat
    I took out a policy with these cowboys in March 2017 for boiler repair/service. On the face of it they were professional and of course a lot cheaper than british gas.
    I was told someone would contact me to arrange the boiler service. Two weeks later I get a phone call to tell me my service was booked for three days time. I explained i couldnt do this due to work commitments. Their reply was well we will call you in a day or two to you when next appointment slot is. I asked if i could book one for 3 weeks later andxwas told they dont do that. I have to take a slot when an engineer is in my area and they only know that 2 or 3 says before. I knew then id made a mustake going with them and cancelled my contract. I thought that was the end of it until 3 weeks ago when i got my bank statement. I noticed that direct debits of £20.23 had gone out of my account in nov dec and jan. I hadnt given permission for this! I phoned and when i eventually got through was told it was their error and i would get a refund within 5 days! Im still waitingbfor yhe money after nearly 3 weeks. Ive cancelled direct debit with the bank. Ive phoned 247 several times only to be told my credit is on its way and its my banks fault! Im ringing teading standards if i dont get my money by Monday!!! Dont use this company! They are cheap for a reason. Shocking customer service and a bunch of crooks!
    • Abuhaneefah
    • By Abuhaneefah 22nd Jan 18, 4:58 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Abuhaneefah
    Just another victim of this company.

Could we get together and all email watchdog or Rip off Britain to try and raise awareness of this company?

Anyone have information on how to put in an FOI request re: repairs undertaken?

Here is my review:

Unacceptable service.
    Diverter valve broke down in my boiler.
    24/7 are telling me that it is not covered as they deem my boiler beyond economical repair.
    The cost of the parts is only about £100.
    The cost of the repair from a local plumber is actually about the same as I pay 24/7 per year.
    Do not use this company use a reputable one.

Update: I have received a reply from 24/7 stating the same as above.
    In fact I had the boiler repaired by a local plumber replacing the part which cost £26 and 1 hour labour (it took much less).

If such a simple repair isn't covered, I would question if ANY boiler repair is covered under this policy.

I will be putting in a FOI request to see what percentage of boiler breakdowns are fixed compared and what percentage are deemed beyond economical repair.
    • Abuhaneefah
    • By Abuhaneefah 22nd Jan 18, 5:10 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Abuhaneefah
    Contact Watchdog
    I have sent the following in to Watchdog:
    Diverter valve motor broke down in my boiler, I was left without heating in sub zero temperatures. I contacted 24/7 and they took a £75 excess fee before sending out a plumber to check my boiler.
    He identified the problem and said he would send it to authorisation centre to get the parts.
    On Sunday I got a call from 24/7 telling me that my boiler would not be covered under the policy because it was beyond economical repair.
    They would only cover repair where the parts and labour costs was less than 60% of the 'Current market Value' of the boiler.
    Basically the current market value of any second hand boiler isn't very much so they wouldn't really fix any problem.
    I got a local plumber to fix the boiler, it cost £26 for the part and an hours labour.
    I found out later that I am not alone, this is the trick they are using with many people.
    See: URL Hidden
    They are also manipulating trust pilot reviews to show that they are a reputable company. I can give you more details on this if you contact me.
    You can do the same here: URL Hidden - Sorry I can't post URLs but you can google contact BBC Watchdog.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 22nd Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 23,880 Thanks
    jk0
    Well done Abu.
    • Arif Iqbal
    • By Arif Iqbal 22nd Jan 18, 9:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Arif Iqbal
    Taken a Boiler cover out 8 months ago in may 2017 was told somebody will come out in June to service boiler i went away and got busy in work rang 2 weeks ago to book service came out last Thursday on Wednesday night boiler started to leek water told engineer on Thursday morning he checked it and told me he would have to get Worcester Bosch out to repair didn't hear anything for 3 days rang up Monday morning and they told me if the boiler breaks down before a service or during a service it is not covered 24 seven will service your boiler 8 to 12 months into your contract so you are paying for 8 months fee for nothing. MONEY MAKING EXPERTS
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 23rd Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 532 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Raxiel
    Just another victim of this company.

Could we get together and all email watchdog or Rip off Britain to try and raise awareness of this company?

Anyone have information on how to put in an FOI request re: repairs undertaken?

Here is my review:
    Originally posted by Abuhaneefah
    Who are you sending an FOI request to? FOI rules only cover the government and some private sector companies that carry out public functions. You can send a Subject Access Request (SAR) to a company under the Data Protection Act, but that is only for accessing whatever data they hold on you personally, no-one else.
    • Mattheap1972
    • By Mattheap1972 23rd Jan 18, 9:48 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mattheap1972
    Another disgruntled 24/7 “customer” (mug). Tried several times to book a service online but the system is always down. Had to call out for a boiler breakdown, engineer sent and diagnosed the PCB as being faulty and would report. I then received a call from 24/7 quoting an over inflated price for the work doing (around £600) on a £1600 Vocera boiler made it uneconomical repair so they cancelled my policy and refused to refund my excess of £75 even though my policy has £0 excess and there is no claim (how can you charge an excess when you can’t vlaim). The engineer broke the front panel on the boiler too. I ended up buying a brand new Vocera pcb from plumb centre for £140 plus vat and a heating engineer fitted it for £40. I want to take this to the ombudsman but 24/7 will not release the complaint because they claim to not be covered by industry standard. The ombudsman cannot do anything without the complaint number. Surely they are in the wrong here? Please help. ☹️
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,039Posts Today

7,615Users online

Martin's Twitter