What makes a house 'homely'?

Options
Buzzybee90
Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 22 December 2014 at 5:37PM in Marriage, relationships & families
What makes a house 'homely'?
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your own books, pictures, cushions etc, not forgetting s tiny bit of mess.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If a house looks lived in ie not show room perfect

So for example my front room

Dog toys and crates and blankets in one corner. Their waterbowls on the stone fireplace

3 book cases filled with books and books and magazine all over the place

CD racks and a cupboard filled with all my nick nacks (mainly tigger mugs)

Lots of pillows and throws on the sofa

Candles dotted round the room along with photos and silly bits I have been given over the years that mean a lot to me like my fairy collection
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In my experience, the feeling of homeliness is inversely proportional to the area of visible laminate flooring.
  • supermassive
    Options
    I crave a homely house, and I'm a neat freak to the point of loathing.

"stuff" makes a home homely. A warm living room with 'stuff' on display & 'stuff' being used. If we didn't have a dog & my boyfriend wasn't such a lazy tramp, our house wouldn't be as homely, it'd be too sterile. The abundance of dog hair in everything really gives it the 'lived in' feel.
    I can't add up.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    The people in it. :)
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Options
    Rikki wrote: »
    The people in it. :)

Yip my thoughts to.
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I crave a homely house, and I'm a neat freak to the point of loathing.

"stuff" makes a home homely. A warm living room with 'stuff' on display & 'stuff' being used. If we didn't have a dog & my boyfriend wasn't such a lazy tramp, our house wouldn't be as homely, it'd be too sterile. The abundance of dog hair in everything really gives it the 'lived in' feel.

Agree with the dog hair :)

I've given up trying to keep the sofa dog free they just wait till i leave :(
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Somewhere were you feel you can kick your shoes off and relax, without worrying about if your squashing the cushions, or messing up the nap on the rug!! It must be absolute hell to live with someone like those on "Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners" on the TV! :eek:
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Interesting but not cluttered. We have a small display cabinet in one alcove with part of my husband's mineral and fossil collection in it, a cat sculpture belonging to me in the other, the cats themselves asleep on the coffee table in front of the radiator. A few (but not too many) Victoriana nick-nacks in this Victorian house, and William Morris curtains and cushions, so it is in period but not slavishly so. My husband's guitar up the corner. And of course a couple of statement plants.

That is homely to me -personal touches.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Interesting but not cluttered. We have a small display cabinet in one alcove with part of my husband's mineral and fossil collection in it, a cat sculpture belonging to me in the other, the cats themselves asleep on the coffee table in front of the radiator. A few (but not too many) Victoriana nick-nacks in this Victorian house, and William Morris curtains and cushions, so it is in period but not slavishly so. My husband's guitar up the corner. And of course a couple of statement plants.

That is homely to me -personal touches.

Add books to that and it sound like my type of house :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure