BT8500 Phone with Call Guardian

Options
I'm among the first to slate BT when they get it wrong but they have got just about everything right with this phone :)

Same price as the more feature packed DECT phones (answer phone, colour screen, large phonebook memory etc) but also includes Call Guardian which intercepts calls from those you haven't explicitly already allowed (you can white-list family and friends so they get straight through) and asks them to state their name and hold the line which it rings your phone as asks you if you want to take the call or block them. You can also block categories of call such as withheld but I'm a bit wary of doing that just in case its the hospital calling about a relative or something. Anyway got this phone 3 months ago and not had a single nuisance call ring or leave a voicemail yet! Big improvement as we were getting up to 6 a day before, it seems the scammers, PPI claims, double glazing sales people etc just hang up when they are asked to give their name and hold as they get the point you aren't interested in their call.

It keeps a log of blocked calls which is quite satisfying to look at from time to time. :D

Factored in the cost of the handsets (we got the pack or 2) and figured it would pay for itself in 2 years based on us no longer needing the 1571 service.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    100 % agree its the best phone we have ever bought.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have the old 6510's and also a call blocker off ebay (little white one).

What i find strange is that the BT caller ID just says international, Yet the little call blocker usually shows a number.

Until i used confused.com all the dodgy calls had stopped. Since my quote ive been getting some odd numbers and lots of calls even though i ticked the do not contact me box.

(that means you go skippy insurance) Are you not bored with getting one ring and instantly cut off yet?

Take the hint :)
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    8500 is discounted for BT customers buy through your My BT .
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 December 2014 at 3:18PM
    Options
    Seems to be a BT dect phone with builtin truecall technology. Fantastic that finally you can get a phone with it built in. I use truecall myself and have done for almost 5 years well worth it for peace at home from cold callers/scammers

I am after a new phone as my existing Panasonic dect is almost 10 years old now and despite it still working its a little dated and could so with slightly bigger buttons.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT8500-Advanced-Blocker-Cordless-Handset/dp/B00LZTI0B6

The above is cheaper on BT if bt customers as said £69.99 for triple whilst amazon is £94.99 shame I cant get it at that price as I am with plusnet

Edit found triple even cheaper than BT online £59.99 or double £44.99 or single £29.99

http://www.telephonesonline.co.uk/bt-8500-trio-digital-cordless-answer-phone-with-advanced-call-blocker.html
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    Options
    I've a 6500 (twin)

Great how it doesn't ring / disturb with a withheld, int, No ID etc. call (blocked setting)

1571 is no longer free (Sky) so handy to have the ans phone
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    Options
    I was hoping Truecall would eventually allow licensing of there great technology. I would say its a must have item if you want peace at home and also protect vulnerable people. I am very tempting to get one and give my truecall to MIL now, she gets a lot of cast offs from us lol. Honestly Truecall is a fantastic protect to protect you from unwanted intrusion at home on phone.
  • GalaxyStar
    Options
    We bought these about a month ago, it has the call guardian on but it's not letting numbers we have listed in the phone through, they have to say their name etc still which got annoying so had to turn it off which means we're now getting nuisance calls through. I cant figure out how to get them past the screening they're listed in the settings as allowed numbers but nothing :(
  • colin79666
    colin79666 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    Options
    GalaxyStar wrote: »
    We bought these about a month ago, it has the call guardian on but it's not letting numbers we have listed in the phone through, they have to say their name etc still which got annoying so had to turn it off which means we're now getting nuisance calls through. I cant figure out how to get them past the screening they're listed in the settings as allowed numbers but nothing :(

Do you have caller ID enabled on your line (the phone number is shown on the display when someone calls)? If not the phone can't read who is calling so will default to announced mode.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    TrueCall didn't come up with the idea of comparing an incoming number against a list, then either letting it through, cutting the call, or asking for the caller to announce their name before being put on hold. Octopuss Software dis.
    It was first demonstrated in Ipswich by a clever computer programmer in 1998.

I attended a meeting of the nearest Acorn User Group having got hold of an Archimedes A3000 for my son. One of the Club's members enjoyed dabbling in programing and was giving a talk on some software he had coded to make use of an old Archimedes he had sitting around.
    The computer had a modem card installed which had an out port for a phone. He had written the software to run a phone system using callerID with a view to being able to use it to work as an advanced answerphone, with the ability for him to leave custom messages for different callers.

He then extended it to log all out-going calls and then added a feature where by touching the star key a number could be marked as anti-social and bocked.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• cashbag
    cashbag Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    Another thumbs up for BT8500! After several weeks of up to 15 calls a day from accident compo scum I finally have silenced them. Was already looking for a new phone with caller display (free with my BT contract) when I spotted a rave review for this one. Seemed too good to be true but as it was no more expensive than similar handsets with ansafone was worth a punt. It is amazing - silence is golden. So far about a dozen numbers have been blocked in just one week.

You deffo need BT Privacy (or whatever your phone provider calls it) for Caller I D to allow your OK callers to come straight through & inputting allowed numbers initially was a bit tedious but now it's done.

Cannot recommend highly enough. This technology is the future. Bye bye scummy scammers! A 2 handset model is £49.99 + delivery if you are a BT customer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure