IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The injustice of the Blue Badge scheme

Options
Seven weeks ago my knee gave up the ghost. Seven weeks of hobbling about with a stick and pain, pain, pain.

Yesterday I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and will probably need a new knee.

To this end I researched the Council Blue Badge scheme. It seems I have no chance. I am not on any sort of benefit, I hope I shall be twerking again by this time next year, have nothing wrong with my arms, and my eyesight is 20/20. However I cannot walk without pain, sometimes acute, and am not too steady on my feet. Public transport is not an option as I live at the bottom of as steep hill.

All I need is a temporary pass, for the odd occasion where I need to go to B&Q, etc., but they do not issue temporary passes, it is all or nothing.

I will not go on here about benefit bludgers with blue badges for bad backs, I am sure you all know my views on these riff raff

To add insult to injury, if I put in a temporary stair lift I shall probably have to pay vat on it. GRRRR
You never know how far you can go until you go too far.

Comments

• Axled
    Axled Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    Exercise is very good for OA knee so it'll be handy for when you get your new knee. It may also mean you to get back to twerking much quicker.
  • Hot_Bring
    Hot_Bring Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    All I need is a temporary pass, for the odd occasion where I need to go to B&Q, etc., but they do not issue temporary passes, it is all or nothing.

A) Each council has slightly different criteria and you should apply anyway. My Mum got one despite not being on benefits ( that isn't a requirements so I have no idea why you brought it up other than to add in your usual look at me stuff ) after getting her doctor to write to the council.

B) Why would you need a Blue Badge to visit B&Q ? THEY ARE NOT APPLICABLE TO PRIVATE LAND !!!!!! But of course you know that really don't you.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Why would you need a Blue Badge to visit B&Q ?

To park close to the entrance. I mentioned benefits because if you are on any of these

You are registered blind by a Local Authority under the National Assistance Act 1948
    • Receive Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance
    • Receive the appropriate component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for the ‘Moving Around’ descriptor for Mobility
    • Receive a war pensioner’s mobility supplement
    • Receive a benefit under the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme (within tariff 1-8) and have been assessed as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
    You will automatically qualify.
  • Candles_by_Lisa
    Options
    I have a blue badge, do not have benefits and and work full time. It is because of back pain so I find your remark very insulting!! I applied for the badge and was referred for an assessment to be seen by their trained physiotherapist to which my pain was deemed severe enough to warrant a blue badge!

If you are in pain apply and see what they say.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 September 2014 at 11:04AM
    Options
    Same here - I was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis four years ago.

Despite this - and my mobility being reduced to a matter of yards, with assistance, I ws told stright-up there was no chance of my even being considered for a BB. Mainly because the surgery I was told to expeect in 5-6 months was expected to improve matters considrably.

Of course then (still being reasonably fit and healthy otherwise), the NHS must have decided I was low priority and kept bouncing my operation, insisting on "further tests" and even cancelling surgery whilst I was actually prepped and in the ward!

So it took a full three yeaars to get me the surgery I needed, during which time my mobility became much worse/more painful and I became more unfit in many other ways - incl the osteoarthritis affecting one shoulder. Needless to say, the delays were not considered important as far as a BB was concerned.

However, in that perod, my work made reasonable adjustments to my job, so I could continue working and all parking issues were quite reasonably and amicably sorted - even where the dreaded TPS were involved as a contractor.

All the stores I used regularly were quite happy to give me a disabled adjustment without a badge and I was only questioned on a couple of occasions but never got any ticket to challenge. So maybe you need to go that road for plces with private parking you use regularly?

Anyway, the first anniversary of surgery is tomorrow, I can move a lot better and was able to dispose of walking aids six months ago, although I still can't move as far or as comfortably as I like but my other shoulder was recently diagnosed the same, so I still havee some degree of movement and discomfort problems even still. I'll be interested to see if that will eventually qualify me...?
  • The_Deep
    edited 12 September 2014 at 11:37AM
    Options
    Good to hear that the NHS treatment worked Pogofish, but I sympathise, they kept me waiting 18 months for a frozen shoulder, I was not even down for surgery but MUA. However when I came round they said they had performed keyhole surgery and after wearing out a few giant rubber bands, my shoulder is as good as new.

One question, are you a serial complainer? I am, and always by snail mail. I do not take telephone calls about matters which I may take further, I think that the fact that I have a paper trail tends to focus their minds.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Those who qualify for Blue Badges have very long term conditions, the future for them is only going to get worse. I expect they'd gladly swap places with you if you are so desperate for a BB.
  • The_Deep
    Options
    You've been reading the Daily Mail too much.

I like the DM, it re-inforces my prejudices.

And I'll repeat you do not need a Blue Badge to park near the entrance of B&Q

This B&Q of which you speak, is it near Reading?
  • The_Deep
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »
    Those who qualify for Blue Badges have very long term conditions, the future for them is only going to get worse. I expect they'd gladly swap places with you if you are so desperate for a BB.

I expect they would, but what makes you think that I am desperate for a BB? I thought that the tone of my OP conveyed resignation.
  • Hot_Bring
    Hot_Bring Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    And I'll repeat you do not need a Blue Badge to park near the entrance of B&Q

This B&Q of which you speak, is it near Reading?

Are you seriously suggesting you have a B&Q that has a council owned car park leading up to it's front doors ?
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport