At what age did you stop getting asked for ID?

Options

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to feel so offended by it. Ever since I was a kid I looked younger than my age. The time one 18 year old couldn't believe I was 22 and had assumed I was 16, I felt he couldn't have insulted me more! That feeling went on until I was past 35 and gradually, I stated to actually take it as a compliment when people say I look younger around the age of 40!

Agree with the above, despite always looking younger, I have never been asked for my ID pass my 30s birthday.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Im 32 and still get IDd! I used to get served when I was 14/15 and definitely get iDd more now than when I was 18
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Agree with Billie-S. I'm 44 :eek: and have never been asked for ID :(.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't get irate with the check out staff at the supermarkets. You know they're going to ID you if they think you might look under 25. What is there to be offended about? They're just doing their job.

What you might not know is that if they don't ID you, and it turns out you're under 18, they could face a personal fine of up to £5,000. When I worked at Morrisons on the tills, the poster telling you this was on the back of the door leading from the staff area to the main shop. It was the last thing you saw before you started work.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 9 August 2014 at 9:07AM
    Options
    I don't mind getting asked for ID for buying alcohol as I'm under 25, but I often get IDed for ridiculous things. It's embarrassing for both of us. I've been asked if my mum is home - delivery man was a bit embarrassed when I told him she lived 5 hours away and this was my home.
  • ThinkPink
    ThinkPink Posts: 893 Forumite
    Options
    Im 31 and still get regularly asked for ID. Not only in supermarkets but local off licences and pubs and clubs!! I tend to just smile, hand my ID over and say 'I'm definitely old enough'!!

And its not just alcohol I get asked for ID, its cutlery (not sharp knives, normal every day knives and forks), and about 2 years ago I got asked when I was buying superglue!! and about 3 years ago I got asked if I was old enough to buy a lottery ticket!!

I am glad I don't look my age, normally people guess my age between about 23 and 26 so I understand why they ask, and I just always make sure I have my driving licence on me to avoid any embarrassing moments where I can't get served!!
  • cheekyvimto
    cheekyvimto Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm 37 and got asked for ID a couple of weeks ago when buying a couple of bottles of wine with my weekly shop. Ironically, immediately before going to the supermarket I had been in Boots buying hair dye to cover my greys!
    Sealed pot challenge: number 083
  • bagpussbear
    bagpussbear Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    I got asked for my ID in Marks and Spencer when I was 41!

Was buying wine as part of that £10 dine in deal they sometimes do. The till girl asked and I laughed thinking she was having a bit of a joke. She wasn't and asked if i had anything to prove my age on me, which I didn't. I stood it out and thankfully she let it go, and whispered "you do look young you know".

Made my day to be honest! But I think she just had very very bad judgement of age.
  • hgotsparkle
    hgotsparkle Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    Options
    I'm 24 and regularly get asked. I even got asked when tryng to buy a scratchcard!! If OH is with me, he gets ID'd too, as they've had to ask me so need to ask im too.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I agree I have never been ID ed in the UK despite drinking in pubs at 15 and going to clubs from 16. The only time I can remember it happening was a the grand old age of 28 at Atlanta airport in the eighties. It's definitely much stricter now.

My 22 year old son doesn't drink but gets really annoyed that he can't buy razors without ID.

Billie-S wrote: »
    That's a weird one. Because anyone past their mid 40s, will have been late teens in a time when not many people asked for I.D. I was born in the very late 1960s, and in the late 1980s (when I was in my late teens,) I could buy booze at 16, without being asked for I.D.

The law is way way way more strict now, and stores won't take any chances. You only have to be 18 to drink, and yet many stores insist they won't serve you unless you look over 25!

My girls are 19 and 20 and as long as they have their I.D. with them; they have no trouble. But without it, they can't get served, as they look like they could be anything between 16 and 21. So the cashiers won't take the chance that they may be underage.

But I genuinely don't think I have EVER been asked for I.D.

Probably different for people born in the early 1980s and onwards...
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family