Keeping child off school because it's their birthday!

Options
catkins
catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
What do people think about this?

Someone I know kept their child off school yesterday because it was their birthday (15). Although I didn't actually make any negative comment I did express surprise which didn't go down well!

I think birthdays are special days at any age but you can't just not have to go to school on that day. Why could they not do something at the weekend to celebrate it? Also what is it teaching the child? They start work and ask for their birthday as holiday and if refused they go sick?

Irresponsible parenting in my opinion

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie

Comments

• growler834
    growler834 Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's not something we would advocate in our family although I suppose at this time of year kids aren't usually doing proper lessons as they are on a run down to the school hols. As you say, it doesn't teach the child how to behave in future life - they will think that their birthday is more important than their education and work. 15 isn't even a 'special' birthday either. Did the parent decide to keep the child off school or were they badgered into it by the child & they just wanted an easy life? If the child's friends were at school he would have been sat at home like Billy No Mates on his computer for the day anyway! Not good parenting skills in my book I'm afraid.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    More fun being with friends on a birthday.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No way what is that teaching them? Most people who work do so on their birthday. You still have the evening to celebrate. Totally unacceptable from my perspective.
  • PenguinOfDeath
    PenguinOfDeath Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    Options
    Ridiculous. Another example of how some parents make the world revolve around their precious offspring.
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    growler834 wrote: »
    It's not something we would advocate in our family although I suppose at this time of year kids aren't usually doing proper lessons as they are on a run down to the school hols. As you say, it doesn't teach the child how to behave in future life - they will think that their birthday is more important than their education and work. 15 isn't even a 'special' birthday either. Did the parent decide to keep the child off school or were they badgered into it by the child & they just wanted an easy life? If the child's friends were at school he would have been sat at home like Billy No Mates on his computer for the day anyway! Not good parenting skills in my book I'm afraid.

I'm not sure if it was the parent's idea or, as you say, the child badgered them into it. Either way, in my view, it was wrong.

I know the parent took them out for the day so they weren't sittt home on the computer. I also think, although not totally sure, that the parent's girlfriend may have kept her child off school as well and they all went out together!
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,778 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Who really cares? It's one day. Much worse to take your child out of school for a week to sit on a beach in Spain.
  • lulu_92
    lulu_92 Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've always been lucky that my birthday fell at the start of the school holidays or it was a school trip day.

I didn't go in twice. Once because I was being bullied and knew the kids would be waiting with eggs and flour. Second time was because my sister was rushed into hospital the night before with suspected DVT so I was there until 3am.

I book it off nearly every year because I'm entitled to do so, although I don't think I'd lose sleep if I couldn't book it off.
    Our Rainbow Twins born 17th April 2016
    :A 02.06.2015 :A
    :A 29.12.2018 :A

• purpleshoes_2
    purpleshoes_2 Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Options
    Some parents take their kids out of school for two weeks as holidays are cheaper in term time. Its not ideal, but far worse goes on, I know families where I live whose kids 11 and up hardly go to school at all, I have a next door neighbour who I rarely see as Im assuming shes living with her partner in another block of flats, I saw her daughter a few weeks ago with a friend, shes 15. They were on the same bus as me and someone was asking me if they were at school, the response was no, if they were off on exam leave, the response was no (Im in Scotland and schools broke up 2 weeks ago but it was before the end of term).

I know someone who has had kids of footballers in her class and when the club was playing in a european match the child was suddenly off sick for the game (an away one) of course he was going to watch it.

Its not ideal, but in the scheme of things, a 15 year old being allowed to stay at home for their birthday if they go every other day isnt the worst thing in the world.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Firstly it's nobody else's business but the family concerned.

Secondly, this time of year they are doing nothing at school. Monday our school was closed for the Tour de France, yesterday my daughter spent the day spectating a teachers tug of war (yes the entire day, it was a knock out competition). Tomorrow the school is closed for a teachers strike. Next week she's out on school trips from Monday to Wednesday, Thursday is sports day, Friday is half day end of term clearing out classrooms and EOT assembly.

Would I take her out for something special that fell over these two weeks? Yes, I probably would.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Most children want to be with their friends and family, thus go to school. None or my friends were ever kept off.

I'm guessing it was a boy?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport