London Baby!!!

Options
Skinto_7
Skinto_7 Posts: 264 Forumite
Hi Guys,

Just a rant really, first of all I would just like toclarify that I love London and have no issues with Londerener’s whatsoever. I was just wondering if anyone else has had issues with their friends/family etcwho have moved to London from somewhere more northern, when they return.

A few of my mates have done so, and almost without exception, when they return for visits are often patronising, condescending andrude about the place they grew up and where the majority of their friends andfamily still live.

I was out at the weekend for a few beers with one such matewho was up for the weekend, he’s only been away for about 2 years and startedby slagging off the Scottish lager, then it was patronising comments about how “small and quaint” Glasgow is, there was then more disparaging comments about a good mate of ours, who recently bought a cracking big detached 5 bed house with his Mrs, but because this house was only 5 minutes drive from where he grew up, my mate decided this was “typical small minded attitude” that “a lot of us up here”still have.

Now it makes no odds to me but my London mate lives in a shared house with about 7 other people, works all day like the rest of us, and enjoys his weekends in a vibrant city (him London, us Glasgow) like the rest of us, why he thinks all of sudden because he has moved to London he is somehow better than where he came from is beyond me, its not what I would have expected from him but as I say has happened with numerous people I know who have moved down there. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this attitude from returning northerner’s when they visit home??

For the record I told my mate to stop being such a muppet and to not forget he is still the same wee boy who used to run about covered in mud playing football with the rest of us and spending his ginger bottles on sweets at the local shop!!!

Ok rant over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Azmataz
    Azmataz Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    I can't say I've noticed such changes in the northerners I know who have moved around. I dare say that there are plenty with the opposite opinion to the one you've experienced too. Different strokes for different folks. :)
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mate sounds like he's turned into a bit of a berk to be honest.

Criticise him for drinking lager and trying to act like some sort of wine expert.
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • Skinto_7
    Options
    fivetide wrote: »
    Mate sounds like he's turned into a bit of a berk to be honest.

Criticise him for drinking lager and trying to act like some sort of wine expert.

Agree Fivetide, i gave him a slagging when he started his lager
    Critique, apparently he only drinks french and belguin lager now!! Was like sitting with a different guy from the the mate id grew up with!!
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm a northerner who moved south and I find my home town utterly dull. If it was a vibrant place full of opportunity then I'd have stayed. But I respect the people who did stay and make a go of it (and I'm certainly envious of their large gardens, when around here £300k buys you a postage stamp big enough for a few planters if you're lucky).
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    Options
    Skinto_7 wrote: »
    Agree Fivetide, i gave him a slagging when he started his lager
    Critique, apparently he only drinks french and belguin lager now!! Was like sitting with a different guy from the the mate id grew up with!!

Ah Stella. The chavviest of expensive drinks

358-wife-beatre2.jpg
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • aileth
    aileth Posts: 2,822 Forumite
    Options
    I find a lot of southeners generally think people 'oop north are inferior, so doesn't surprise me really.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    Options
    When you move to London, there's a compulsory course called 'How to be a t****r' that everybody has to pass before they're allowed an Oyster card. People who move down there to work in finance take an advanced qualification.

(I lived in London for a bit, and I did start to fall for that hype that its sooo much better than anywhere else, thankfully I got over it before it was too late!)
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    I was born a Southerner and lived in the North for 20 years before I came home again. I was always considered an outsider and a 'bl00dy Southerner' when I lived up north, despite my best efforts to acquire a northern accent and fit in. I did find that for the most part, the North/South divide is live and kicking in the North, particularly the part I lived in, whereas for the most part people in the South don't notice it.
  • Skinto_7
    Options
    onlyroz wrote: »
    I'm a northerner who moved south and I find my home town utterly dull. If it was a vibrant place full of opportunity then I'd have stayed. But I respect the people who did stay and make a go of it (and I'm certainly envious of their large gardens, when around here £300k buys you a postage stamp big enough for a few planters if you're lucky).

I understand London is good city with loads to do, and it doesnt really bother me if my mate doesnt actually like Glasgow,it does annoy me that he feels the need to slag it all off along with some of our mates though.

As i say he;'s touching 30, lives in a shared house and i wouldnt swap places with him for million quid, but i would never have slagged it off to him or his London mates, as each ti their own.

Suppose its just the unjustified sense of superiority that bugs me.
  • Domayne
    Domayne Posts: 623 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Personally I think London is a sh**hole and don't understand why everyone seems to want to flock here - its dirty, overcrowded, over expensive, so many weird and/or rude people =/
    The only upside i can think of is something is always open 24/7 so if you need milk at 2am you don't have to wait long!
    But I'm originally from Accrington and if I could find a job down there id move back in a heartbeat!
    Saved so far - £28,890.97
    ~Selfish is the name that the jealous give to the free~
    Save 12k in 2019 #18 £5,489.43/12000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills