🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Getting free additional driver

Options
Just used MSE to help me book car hire for a trip to Canada. After a bit of digging found that if you join Hertz Gold Plus Rewards programme (need to give them credit card details and driving licence number but no charges and can opt out of ad emails) you get automatic additional driver for your spouse/partner. They don't heavily advertise this rather tell you about preferential treatment when you get to hire desk, potential car upgrades and special member deals but as my wife and I always share driving this has saved us around £70 on a 12 day hire. That then made Hertz cheaper than anything I could get through MSE links. Just thought I'd pass it on.

Comments

• ChristineL
    ChristineL Posts: 103 Forumite
    edited 24 May 2014 at 1:21PM
    Options
    Quite correct and well spotted. Avis Preferred also covers spouse without the need for additional driver fees. Mr L and I have used both Hertz & Avis for years and it does sometime make them cheaper than others.

One tip - Get a printout of the Hertz Gold or Avis Preferred terms and condition with the bit that says spouse can drive highlighted and keep it in the car with your rental agreement for the duration of the rental.

In the USA at least you are required to carry proof of insurance at all times. The car rental agreement that you get when you collect the car lists the insurance coverage but also that says "No Additional Authorized Operators Without Our Prior Written Approval." (That's Hertz as I just happen to have a copy of one of their agreements close to hand. But Avis have something similar on theirs too). The Hertz Gold or Avis Preferred T&C's are the "written approval" that override this.

Drive safe.

PS. It's on Page 10 of the Hertz Gold T&C and Page 18 of Avis Preferred T&C
  • CannyEdinburgher
    Options
    Thanks, Christine. The T&Cs are a right riveting read! Think I've just wasted some of the money I've saved on printer ink!!
  • ChristineL
    Options
    :rotfl: Canny, save ink and paper by only printing and and carrying 2 pages; the cover and the one that says spouse can drive too.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are a British Airways Executive Club Member you get a free additional driver with Avis if you book on BA's website.
  • deary65
    deary65 Posts: 818 Forumite
    Options
    If you book through opodo they add a one free driver
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.
  • ChristineL
    Options
    ... and while we're gathering this useful info all in one place, Alamo/Brits also include free additional drivers in the USA.
    https://www.alamo.co.uk/brits
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    ChristineL wrote: »
    ... and while we're gathering this useful info all in one place, Alamo/Brits also include free additional drivers in the USA.
    https://www.alamo.co.uk/brits

At the bottom of that page linked to it says this

You may be requested to present your copy of the Brit Guide in order to qualify for your rental at time of pick up.

Those rates are cheapest i have seen that include an extra driver but the above has me worried
  • photome
    Options
    deary65 wrote: »
    If you book through opodo they add a one free driver

I couldnt see that anywhere, just checked opodo and the difference on a full size for 2 weeks with or without additional driver is about £65 depending on who Opodo uses
  • deary65
    deary65 Posts: 818 Forumite
    Options
    I searched Italy September and sill gives one additional driver free. I'm not sure were you are searching!
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.
  • photome
    Options
    deary65 wrote: »
    I searched Italy September and sill gives one additional driver free. I'm not sure were you are searching!

USA all results are showing extra fee for additional driver
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family