Sooo happy - but need your help!?

Options
lovenstuff
lovenstuff Posts: 10 Forumite
My lovely parents have come into some money and have given my sister and I £1000 each which they would like us to spend on 'something' preferably a holiday as they know we cannot really afford to go away this year! (or for the last few years!)
So here is where you lovely people come in - we have not had a holiday (bar a few days in a caravan each year in the uk for years)
Our family is Me, DP, DD1(8) DD2(1)
Obvs DD1 is at school so we can only go in the school holidays. I have no idea about holiday prices these days, have googled some places but they all seem so expensive and wondered if anyone had any advice. We have £1000 exactly - no more! Which would need to pay for the whole trip, so am thinking all inclusive etc. Good place for kids, hot, food ok for a fussy DD1, buggy and checked bags etc.
Have no idea if anyone could help - we are soooo excited to go on our first family holiday and so grateful to my parents, we just want to book the perfect place as this is the only abroad holiday we are likely to take them on for a least the next 5 years...
Can anyone help with any advice? Is this even possible for £1000? I would be so grateful if anyone has experience for a family of 4 on this sort of budget!? x

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Woolwich_Kim
    Options
    Aww so happy for you, your post seems so upbeat and it's lovely to read the gratitude that comes from it.

My honest opinion is that 1k isn't going to get you very far especially for 4 people during the school hols. What about disneyland in paris? Your oldest daughter is at the right age where she'll appreciate it. With euro star it shouldn't cost too much and you can stay somewhere decent and cheap if you look around on trip advisor for suggestions of accommodation.
  • MrsAtobe
    MrsAtobe Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will be in budget for a family of four, but we'll be going back to Las Marismas de Corralejo on Fuerteventura as soon as we can, we spent a blissful week there. The water park is literally across the road, so ideal if you have water babies!

The staff were excellent and very friendly, and the reviews on trip advisor are still good, can't wait to go back. :)
    Good enough is good enough, and I am more than good enough!:j

If all else fails, remember, keep calm and hug a spaniel!
  • lovenstuff
    lovenstuff Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reply - we did consider Disneyland paris - but.... I have read so many recent reviews about how it is falling apart/not good customer service/no money spent on it so its a bit dated etc etc! It was my first thought but on reflection DD2 is too young to appreciate it, (she turns one in April) and it might be best to leave that until she is older (funds depending)! We were thinking more a pool/beach/slide/fun holiday with a kids club, that we can all appreciate, instead of DD2 being stuck in a buggy all day waiting for us to take turns on rides!
    £1000 seems like such an enormous amount to us to even consider blowing it on a holiday but we have it waiting for us to blow! (eeeek!)
    But think we are deffo decided on a sun holiday, all inclusive iff poss to save money on meals out etc! Aghhh so exciting but we are bags off stress trying to find a good place, lol!
  • Woolwich_Kim
    Options
    Your 1 year old is too young to appreciate anywhere even if it was disneyland in orlando.

As you said you probs won't holiday another 5 years, your 8 year old might be too old to enjoy the likes of disneyland at 13.

Other family friendly places I can think of is Butlins/Pontins although that might be a bit chavvy and no guaranttee of any sun.

Or perhaps centre parcs?

If you definately want abroad, a lot of people I know with families go Portugal/Algarve as so many brits go there, there's lots of self catering places. Just make sure you don't leave them to sleep alone while you go out wining & dining. ;)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    May 1/2 term is usually cheaper than the school summer hols and the last week of Aug is usually cheaper than the others, if yours tend to go back early Sept rather than late August. If they do go back early check the dates they finish. I have a friend whose kids finish a week earlier than mine in July and that week is cheaper too.

If holidaying in the U.K Scottish schools go back earlier than in England and Wales, so you could look up prices of holiday cottages in Scotland.

Are you open to driving to France and staying in caravan accommodation? If so what about looking for something like this.

http://www.canvasholidays.co.uk/destinations/camping-in-france?gclid=CNjih8y6p70CFY_HtAodJhwAKw
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    With a bit of shopping around you could probably squeeze in just under budget if you went for a week at the end of August to the Ballarics . Majorca has some lovely family friendly resorts and most people like to holiday early in the school holidays so if you can time it something like 25th August returning 01 September- for example. I found quite a few options for all inclusive using Teletext's holiday website.

That said you could get a 6 berth mobile home somewhere like Dawlish in Devon for around £700 the same week. Kids facilities on site, pool and georgeous beaches and loads to see and do. We did it the same week last year and we had a fab time but on a fixed budget overall Majorca would probably work out cheaper with food costs etc.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • malebolge
    malebolge Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do agree that it'll be a tad difficult keeping within that budget, but it can be done. You're all happy & excited, but I reckon you need to prioritize what you want by making a list. That way, you can check places out and see how they match up. Mine would be like this:
    1 - must be family friendly. Check clubs etc Particularly needs to be toddler friendly.
    2 - all inclusive preferable. If not, check local prices for meals.
    3 - Not too hot. (friends took children to Egypt last year. They were sweltering in 40 degrees heat.)
    4 - Hotel facilities in general
    5 - Things to do locally
    etc. etc

Then have a look at some recommended places. My daughter (3 children) has been to Menorca many times and has recommended it to friends. I've been there too and love it. She's stayed at the Hotel Santo Tomas
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g659667-d500550-Reviews-Hotel_Santo_Tomas-Santo_Tomas_Minorca_Balearic_Islands.html

As has been said, Tripadvisor is a good place to look. I regularly put reviews on there, and it's my first point of call when I'm looking for somewhere new to go.

I felt really happy for you when I saw your post. I went on my first holiday ever when my daughter was 7 and I was so, so excited.

It might be an idea to ask other parents what your DD's school is like for allowing a couple of days off. I know they tend to vary - sister's school just said yes, friend's son's school flatly refused. Might make a difference in price and tbh, as a retired teacher I know that actually a couple of days off at the end of a summer term at 8 won't make a difference at all. (Shhh though, don't think I'm supposed to admit that ;))
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Have you thought about camping abroad ? We've camped a few times in France and a great time. It means taking a car & ferry rather than flying but the £1k could contribute to buying kit which could be used again + actual costs this year. We've generally stayed on castel sites in France & a good website to look at is https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk
    Cheers
    Jen
  • Mrs_Soup
    Mrs_Soup Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't know what your term dates are like but my son doesn't start back until Friday 5th September this year and that final week is noticeably cheaper - we are doing Disneyland Paris for 4 days up to the Thursday but tagged onto the end of a longer trip during which we will also be staying at a holiday park in France- a Yelloh Village one - haven't been there myself but the prices are quite good, more mobile homes than camping.
  • Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 23 March 2014 at 9:01AM
    Options
    Holidays are funny, my OH and I have only been on proper abroad one together - it was Venice and cost £250 each (four years ago), I couldn't believe it either! It was a lovely family friendly hotel with swimming pool, tennis courts and I *think* a children's play area... Then it's own bar etc.. It isn't your benidorm type thing.. It was surprisingly upmarket!

Going to a posh bit of the south of France this year and it will cost well over £1000.

These were both early July though, which unless your children are at a private school, will probably be in term time.

You need to decide on some criteria... Lets face it but most of us want sun! But do you need the beach, will you be hiring a car and one other thing, is the 1k to include spending money when there or just the initial costs?

Shop around, when I was a chidler I had many happy holidays in the UK and Ireland but I have since been to Spain about 8 times and it's where I have my happiest memories with my family! Portugal is great too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure