How to get a job after being in prison? Divine intervention?

Options

Comments

• Scuffer
    Scuffer Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Hi as above you are being given interviews despite employers seeing your cv mentioning a prison sentence, maybe you need to improve your interview skills, if you sign on the job centre can offer you training and workshops…might be worth doing as it won't be forever. Was your crime one which needs declaring on CV, as i am aware some offences do not appear on criminal searches by employers.

Have you considered doing a tefl/CELTA qualification (very quick, easy and cheap) which guarantees you voluntary work experience in the UK then teaching english abroad, some countries like Japan will pay 2k per month plus lodgings. Might be a good idea to make a new start.

You say you were in your final year of university, the 2 years you did should get you a higher education certificate. Is there any chance of using those credits to finish your degree?
    I dont say on my CV that i've been in prison and it wasn't a crime which would consider me a threat to children or vulnerable people. Whilst in prison i gained a HNC in electrical engineering which is what i consider my compensation from missing out on my BSEE. My desperation to get a job as soon as possible is so i can hopefully get back in to university and finish my degree. It is my only ambition.
    Actions have reactions,
    dont be quick to judge. You may not know the hardships people dont speak of
    Its best to step back, and observe with couth
    For we all must meet our moment of truth

• Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. I would like to wish you the best of luck going forward. But, it really does depend on what you went to prison for.

You would then have to consider what you can and can't do as a result.

I would then go to your local volunteering bureau, and get an unpaid job with whichever charity will help you in the area of work you can legitimately work in. So, you then get experience, a reference and can demonstrate that you are a person who has the skills they need, despite your past.

Best of luck.
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • Scuffer
    Options
    Blue_Bird wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but I think it's important that you sign on anyway, so that your NI contributions are paid for you?

If it bothers you to think of dole as taking taxpayer's money, resolve to make a donation to a charity of your choice (maybe an ex-offenders one) once you're earning again :)

Good luck, I can only imagine how hard it is, but 49 interviews shows determination, prison or not, there are many people that would give up and you haven't, keep at it and you WILL find something!

Best Wishes,

Blue
    I have pretty much given up now.
    Actions have reactions,

• Scuffer
    Options
    Surely its why you went to prison that counts the most?

Also, have you looked at Timpsons, they are very pro hiring ex prisoners.
    I will look at Timpsons later if that is the case :)
    Actions have reactions,

• cashbackproblems
    Options
    Scuffer wrote: »
    I dont say on my CV that i've been in prison and it wasn't a crime which would consider me a threat to children or vulnerable people. Whilst in prison i gained a HNC in electrical engineering which is what i consider my compensation from missing out on my BSEE. My desperation to get a job as soon as possible is so i can hopefully get back in to university and finish my degree. It is my only ambition.

so then your prison sentence has nothing to do with you not getting a job unless you mention it at interview. If your sentence doesn't appear in searches (check with your lawyer) you can put your gap in cv down to something else e.g. travelling.

Many South East Asian countries have ex-cons working as teachers and they are not fussy unless your a murderer etc.
  • Tahlullah
    edited 9 March 2014 at 4:55PM
    Options

Failing to mention you period in prison is, I can almost guarantee it, why you are not getting any jobs. You can't hide it and you are essentially pretending it didn't happen. But there is a gap and the employer has to ask. You should be telling them up front, and if you get an interview anyway, you know they are not holding it against you.

As an employer, I would not employ you if I found that out at interview and you did not put it on the C V. It tells me you are prepared to lie.

Be honest.

Owed at the end of -
  • Scuffer
    Options
    so then your prison sentence has nothing to do with you not getting a job unless you mention it at interview. If your sentence doesn't appear in searches (check with your lawyer) you can put your gap in cv down to something else e.g. travelling.

Many South East Asian countries have ex-cons working as teachers and they are not fussy unless your a murderer etc.
    Any prison sentence will appear. I may as well just say what it was so people know. It was for 4 counts of possession with intent to supply. My girlfriend at the times brother asked me to carry a "bag of green" into a musical festival for him and paid me to do so upon going in there was a sniffer dog, i tried to run and was caught by security. The bag of green turned out to be over £2000 worth of A and B class drugs. As for Asia, its a nice thought escaping where nobody will judge me but i'm on license so it isn't possible.
    Actions have reactions,

• Scuffer
    Options
    Tahlullah wrote: »
    Failing to mention you period in prison is, I can almost guarantee it, why you are not getting any jobs. You can't hide it and you are essentially pretending it didn't happen. But there is a gap and the employer has to ask. You should be telling them up front, and if you get an interview anyway, you know they are not holding it against you.

As an employer, I would not employ you if I found that out at interview and you did not put it on the C V. It tells me you are prepared to lie.

Be honest.
    How do i write 22 months in prison on a CV? Having that would diminish any chance of interview because it will be only that the employer will focus on.
    Actions have reactions,

• RiverStar
    RiverStar Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    Think the advice re prison charities (or even other charities) volunteering is good and will help build your confidence and gain a good reference.

Don't give up... everyone deserves a second chance.

Best of luck

RS
    :rotfl:RiverStar:A
  • Tahlullah
    Options
    How do i write 22 months in prison on a CV? Having that would diminish any chance of interview because it will be only that the employer will focus on.

No, you are wrong, not all employers will behave the same. Your reason for going to prison is, to me, rank stupidity and naivety. But that would not mean you could not do the job. Now I know what you did, I would offer you an interview if your CV was that good. I would put you down as young and gullible, but perhaps you should be given a chance.

As I said, if you get the interview, that means you have already got past the main hurdle and they want to hear what you have to say. It is these interviews you want to concentrate on.

So, the number of interviews you are offered will diminish, but at least you will know you are in with a chance from the outset.

Owed at the end of -
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport