Decisions, decisions. WWYD?

Options
Gingernutty
Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 10 November 2013 at 2:05AM in Marriage, relationships & families
Bear with me, there's a lot of background........I apologise in advance.

I currently have two jobs. I shall call them Job A and Job B.

I work for two hospital trusts and I can't drive.

Job A is currently a zero hours contract on nights. Band 3 with night and weekend enhancements where applicable.

It's ten hour shifts, in an office, lone working - answering the phone to callers and performing admin tasks.

As the contract suggests, it's 'as and when required' - meaning it's been feast or famine as far as the number of shifts are concerned. The pay is good when I get work.

The job is about to change. Big. Time. New software controlling almost every aspect of hospital admin is about to come in, people are being trained up and the job I've just described is about to alter radically.

I've had this job since May this year, after an horrendous stint in another Band 3 role (also zero hours) and losing my Band 4 fixed term contract role in January.

Job B is a part time, evening, but permanent post for another hospital trust, a bus ride and a brisk walk from the other hospital.

It's Band 2, with no enhancements. That means, since I started the job in August, I get about £500 pcm.

That's enough to pay the bills (including mortgage interest) but I've had to rely on Job A to supplement my income.

So far, I've been able to run the two jobs together. Wake up at 2pm, get to work, start at 4pm, finish at 8pm in the first hospital, get out to the bus stop, catch a bus to the next town and briskly walk across the centre of town (passing Tesco on the way and seeing if there are any bargains) to get to the second hospital to start Job A at 10pm.

I then work a ten hour shift, get home from there asap, sleep for about 3-4 hours before getting up and doing it again. As Job A is not every night, it's been doable.

So far.

Job B is also about to change. I've been notified this week that they've had the go-ahead to increase my hours to 10pm every night from 2nd December.

Job A starts at 10pm. I've been given a few dates to put in my diary for shifts to cover various annual leave requests and I've applied for annual leave for those nights from Job B so that I can cover shifts in Job A. I've been granted most of them but the jury's still out on Christmas Eve.

Yes. I've agreed to work Christmas Eve to Christmas Day. Job A are paying for the taxi home. Hey, eight hours bank holiday pay? I'd be mad to pass that up.

NHS annual leave is calculated in hours. So instead of taking a day off, I'll be taking 6 hours off. As I work part time, my day is currently 4 hours long but after 2nd December it will be 6 hours long. So if I'm not granted the whole shift off, I just might be able to ask for two hours off, finish at 8pm so that I can get to work for 10pm.

I've received a 'phone call today, from my boss at Job A. Someone has resigned and I've been given first refusal before they advertise.

I've just worked the resignors' shifts as she was on annual leave for a while. It was very hard work.

Job A's substantive post averages out at about 25 hours per week. It's a rolling rota of two on, two off, three on, two off, two on, ten off.

By nature of the higher grade and the unsociable hours, even though Job A has fewer hours, it currently pays more than Job B. It will, more than likely, pay more than Job B even after Job B rises to 30 hours per week.

The people at both jobs are friendly. The work isn't too taxing and I've been muddling along up until now.

So this is the dilemma. What do I do?

It's been good up until now having the two jobs. I get bored easily and it's been a bit of variety. I keep different skills sets refreshed, I get to work in different environments and I have the benefits of working for different NHS employers - discounts and benefits vary from trust to trust.

Option 1. Keep both jobs.

It probably won't be possible to do this as it would require leaving Job B early every time I need to work a shift at Job A. Although it's technically possible to take my time off in 2 hour chunks at a time, that could mean 10 - 15 shifts disrupted a month.

Having just done a month of that (to cover one lady's annual leave) - I would spend my whole life permanently exhausted.

This would also mean that I would probably never have one full day off ever again.

Option 2. Resign from Job B and accept the offer of a permanent post at Job A.

I like the money, the job and the people. It's interesting, I have indirect contact with the people I help (or try to) and if I accept the job as permanent, then I get further training on different programs which would allow me to expand my skills that little bit further.

Downside - I've only really just started Job B. I feel I would be letting them down after all the hoops I've had to jump through to get it.

Option 3. Resign from Job A and just keep Job B. There may be just enough money to this.

However, Job B is fairly monotonous, the money isn't as good and, into my third month there, I'm not altogether happy with certain aspects of the way the place is run.

It's in a lab (:T) but as I don't have a degree, I'll never see any kind of furtherance of any career. Graduates are ten a penny these days and they aren't going to pay for any degree course when they can hire a graduate and just give then the specific training they need.

Option 4. Keep things as they are. Keep Job B and keep Job A as a zero hours 'thing', hoping that if the 'as and when required' shifts are arranged in advance, I can take the evening off or leave early.

This would require all the training that Option 1 also needs but the training would be mornings only (on my own time) or when I could fit it in on the shifts I'd be working there.

The new software goes live some time next year and all the shifts arranged so far fall before the 'go live' date.

I'm torn between Option 2 and Option 4.

I've got to give the boss In Job A an answer on Tuesday morning.

WWYD?
:huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:

Comments

• emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Options
    Take Job A, it's better money and you can have a life. Your going to wear yourself into the ground if you carry on as you are.
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If you are asking between option 2& 4 then i'd go for 2. You like the work, good money,there is room for progression. I appreciate you'd feel bad about letting the people in job B down, but that's life. It seems to me like a better opportunity has come up (job A improving) and you should take it.
    It comes across clearly to me that you like job A better than B so why not ditch B and take the new improved job A?
  • Toto
    Toto Posts: 6,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would also go for job A.

You say it's more stimulating, that's a big plus for me, I get very bored easily too. It's also more money for fewer hours. It all sounds like a much better position if you ask me.

Edited to add,

If you're feeling bad about resigning just remember if the boot were on the other foot and they needed to lose someone it would probably be last in first out. They will live, you need to do what's right for you.
    :A
    :A
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I'd go for job A - you know the role, it give job security, and trust me you can only do so long burning the candle at both ends,

Back in 2000, I was working a 30 hr contract plus overtime double time on Sunday (job A), use to do most sundays anything from 3hrs to 15 hrs - I then took a 2nd job (job B), to help a friend out, it was the job that I had left 2 yrs previous - for 4 months I never had a day off working odd shifts, as I figured job 2 would pay for a holiday, I was shattered, then I resigned from job B, as it was only temp, did Jn - April, then I got asked to do job B part time again in July - the plan was i was going to stay till they got a full time manager - that ended up being me.......... I resigned from Job A.

Then i had my daughter - who threw everything into chaos.....
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    Options
    If the only downside to option 2 is feeling bad that you're leaving job B so soon, then that's not a good enough reason not to take that option. The others have greater downsides or just aren't workable. You can feel bad but don't let that stop you doing what is best for you and your situation. There are times when everyone should be selfish, and it's not wrong to leave a job correctly, having taken it on in good faith but circumstances have changed, and giving the correct notice and doing the best handover you can.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • Gingernutty
    Options
    TBH, I think I've persuaded myself here.

As an asthmatic, a simple cold can leave me floored for weeks at a time. Lone working means no direct contact with anyone and no germs!! Even if I am sick, I'm no danger to patients or staff!!

I hear what you say Toto and Kynthia and agree with it. I want to say yes to Job A, but don't want to disappoint the people over at Job B.

After the interview in June, the DBS, the OH medical, all the compulsory induction stuff and the assurances that this wasn't some here to day gone tomorrow 'thing' - I just know I'll feel guilty. :o
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another vote for option 2 (as long as they're not going to want to take up more references, eg from the manger from hell).

It gives you additional training (and another of your historic issues has been not being qualified to take some further training).

However, it would not be at all unreasonable to ask Job A to give you an unconditional offer in writing before you make any firm decision, and definitely before they expect you to give notice on Job B. Stuff Tuesday morning, if they want you to give notice, you need an unconditional offer. Smile sweetly as you say this to them.

While you might want to be apologetic to Job B, you don't need to beat yourself up: they've been talking about extra hours but haven't managed to come good since May. It's unfortunate that just as they've got approval, so has Job A. You don't have to put that in a letter, but it's something to practice saying: the timing is unfortunate but you cannot let the other opportunity pass.

So, put yourself first and don't run yourself down into the ground, especially not over the winter: given that you haven't been at either job that long if you have an extended period of sick leave you could be putting any job at risk. Just what you want to hear, I know.

And isn't it great, TWO managers who want to keep you!!!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Gingernutty
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Another vote for option 2 (as long as they're not going to want to take up more references, eg from the manager from hell).

Don't get me started......:mad:

It gives you additional training (and another of your historic issues has been not being qualified to take some further training).

However, it would not be at all unreasonable to ask Job A to give you an unconditional offer in writing before you make any firm decision, and definitely before they expect you to give notice on Job B.

Good thinking Batman! Didn't think of that. That's why these forums are useful - to gain other peoples' opinions. :cool:

Stuff Tuesday morning, if they want you to give notice, you need an unconditional offer. Smile sweetly as you say this to them.

While you might want to be apologetic to Job B, you don't need to beat yourself up: they've been talking about extra hours but haven't managed to come good since May.

Um....?? They interviewed me in June. They did talk then about extending the hours, though.

It's unfortunate that just as they've got approval, so has Job A. You don't have to put that in a letter, but it's something to practice saying: the timing is unfortunate but you cannot let the other opportunity pass.

So, put yourself first and don't run yourself down into the ground, especially not over the winter: given that you haven't been at either job that long if you have an extended period of sick leave you could be putting any job at risk. Just what you want to hear, I know.

And isn't it great, TWO managers who want to keep you!!!

I know, fabby innit?!! :D
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry, mis-remembered the start dates on both jobs.

OK, in June they were talking about extending the hours, maybe. It took them two months to appoint you. It's taken 4 months for the extra hours to maybe materialise.

Actually, I've just thought of another option for you: see if there's any 'wiggle room' in Job B to do fewer hours than you do atm, but ones which fit comfortably with the shift pattern at Job A. Or vice versa. There probably isn't, BUT if Job B was so hard to fill, they may just be desperate enough.

I'd still go for Job A as the main job though, on balance it sounds better.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Netwizard
    Options
    Job A sounds a bit like what I do (I have a contract though). It also sounds like the best option to go for. We shouldn't be lone .
    working at night (I do but its illegal!)

Job A like you say, will pay enhancements and night allowance (which, if you do manage to get a lot of shifts), soon mounts up.

I'm sure you would be disappointed about letting people down at Job B, but in my opinion, look after number one. If Job A means you will be better off financially, its a no brainier and i'm sure people at job B would understand that.

Also with winter / xmas coming up (its amazing how many staff become "ill" over xmas!) the earning potential in Job A could be pretty high :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure