Scheduled Forum Downtime Fri 26 (from 7pm) – Sun 28 July 2013

Options
Former_MSE_Forum_Manager
Former_MSE_Forum_Manager Posts: 928 Forumite
First Post Best Buy Bear
edited 26 July 2013 at 4:27PM in Site feedback
Hi Folks,

From 7pm on Fri 26 July the forum will be unavailable for around two hours (on Friday until about 9pm). It will then will go into "read-only" mode until Sunday 28 July (earlier if possible).

During "read-only" mode you’ll be able to read the Forum but not join or log in, post, thank, send PMs etc. Buttons that normally allow this eg thanks, reply etc won’t be visible.

Why?

We are migrating our entire site to a new platform of servers.

Please be patient with us on this. It’s extremely hard to give specifics from the point the forum migration begins as it’s a complex process for the team with a huge amount of valuable data. We cannot give a specific time on Sunday or define “this weekend” to the hour, as it’s difficult to be certain.

We will just be working as hard as possible to complete the migration to new servers, ensuring all bugs and teething problems experienced are ironed out as we go.

[I've just collated and tidied from the previous thread - hopefully this is clear and thanks for feedback]

Follow @MSE_Forum on twitter
Join the MSE Forum
New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• tonkatol
    tonkatol Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I ask, during the read-only period, will it be possible to still click on links to, for example, competitions?

Sorry, don't mean to be ignorant but am away for a few days until the weekend and just wondered what will happen.
    September Wins : One Direction posters, Kappa Football.

Thank you to all the lovely posters & board guides :beer:
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    edited 23 July 2013 at 7:12PM
    Options
    If I read that correctly, then you should still be able to click links on competition threads.

What you won't be able to do is click the thanks or "entered" buttons on them.

Basically, on moving server I presume the forum database has to be copied over in it's entirety. Meaning that it has to go read only for some time so that no changes are made to it while being moved, so that the forum on the new server is an exact copy with nothing lost.

New posts, clicking "enter" etc make changes to the database, so anything that does that will be unavailable.

A simple web link in a post doesn't change anything in the database when clicked, so those should be OK and clickable.

I think.......
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    it says cannot login, would that mean i cannot go to dt 2yjyq8g.gif
  • Old_Wrinkly
    Old_Wrinkly Posts: 5,182 Forumite
    Options
    Unless they change the current settings, then 'Yes'.

I think.......
    © fermi, 2013 ;)
  • fermi
    Options
    Can't imagine them changing the forum permissions just so DT can be viewable during the read only period. Too much of a "car crash" in there. ;)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• Queen.For.A.Day
    Options
    Where can I look up abbreviations, such as DT? :huh: :doh::(
    Wow, lots of space here!
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please don't move to the same new system as Landlordzone moved to yesterday. Landlordzone is completely ****ed now.
  • Biker*Chick
    Biker*Chick Posts: 10,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 24 July 2013 at 9:15AM
    Options
    Where can I look up abbreviations, such as DT? :huh: :doh::(

SEE HERE

However, 'DT' isn't listed so I'll leave it to a more experienced MSE comper to confirm that one!!! :) (unless it simply means 'downtime'??? ;)
    =^._.^= You will always be lucky if you know how to make friends with strange cats =^._.^=
  • fermi
    Options
    DT in this context = Discussion Time

• torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    We will all be 'lurkers' for the weekend, I enjoy a good lurk :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family