IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Parking Charge Notice - VCS

Options
Hi All,

My good lady got a ticket the other day issued by VCS - tried to attach a scan of it but site won't let me!
It says that she was 'filmed' and that she left the site. The sign in the car park says free to customers for two hours whilst on site.
Should we just pay or is it not work the paper it's written on?

Many thanks

MIB

Comments

• Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mib150 wrote: »
    Hi All,

My good lady got a ticket the other day issued by VCS - tried to attach a scan of it but site won't let me!
    It says that she was 'filmed' and that she left the site. The sign in the car park says free to customers for two hours whilst on site.
    Should we just pay or is it not work the paper it's written on?

Many thanks

MIB

Don't pay but don't ignore.

First things first. Date of incident and date you received notice to keeper, please.

Basically, you will have no success appealing to PE. So you send in a soft appeal to get a POPLA code so that you can get a result there.

Read a few threads and you will find some standard soft appeals. And we can help with a winning POPLA appeal later.
  • mib150
    mib150 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, this 'fine' was issued on 6th July, so nothing other than the original ticket at the moment.
    Cheers
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    Don't pay but don't ignore.

First things first. Date of incident and date you received notice to keeper, please.

Basically, you will have no success appealing to PE. So you send in a soft appeal to get a POPLA code so that you can get a result there.

Read a few threads and you will find some standard soft appeals. And we can help with a winning POPLA appeal later.

It's not PE, it's VCS. And it's a toothbrush case. Mentioning Judge McIlwaine in the soft appeal might suffice to get it cancelled!
    Je suis Charlie.
  • mib150
    Options
    The soft appeal to VCS? We've already been in touch with our local councillor who thinks we will get off with it.

She did leave the site to get some cash to buy goods in the store (Wickes) which is next to where she got the ticket.

The 'Private Land' is actually the car park of a Graham's store which has closed down.

Parking in Wickes car park is free and has no signs up, but the ticket from VCS states the car was on the Wickes site? Would this mean its void as its not correct?

Sorry for rambling on!
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Take a look at this

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=16231

Basically VCS has already been to court on this practice, whilst not a precedent it just shows exactly your situation.

Also wait until you get the notice to keeper then send what is below. If its a hired/leased/company car send straightaway. But only send if in England or Wales .

Name
    Address

Date

Dear VCS,

In reference to the speculative invoice received xxxxxx dated xxxxxx, the keeper denies all liability to your company as it is an unlawful punitive charge, thus a penalty! If you reject this challenge the keeper requires within 35 days a popla verification code for them to appeal independently, per Version 3 of the BPA Code of Practice.

The keeper has nothing further to add, and will not respond to any correspondence from your company unless it contains the popla code, furthermore the keeper is fully aware that you must pay £27+Vat for this, so don't forget!

The challenge will be deemed accepted if there is no popla code on any rejection that you supply within the time-frame stipulated above.

Yours Faithfully

Your name (printed)
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • mib150
    Options
    Thanks Stroma!
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 July 2013 at 8:26AM
    Options
    Unbelievable. Having lost at court and threatened with prison, they still persist with this procedure.

And the fact that it is also a Wickes car park adds further evidence that they appear not to give a flying !!!! for what has been threatened.

Maybe that toothbrush should have been given a period of use last year :mad:
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't know why I wrote PE, must have been half asleep.

I would change stroma's appeal by giving the reason that you do not believe that they have a contract with the landowner that gives them the authority to pursue motorists for any charges.

The appeal will probably fail, so don't expect anything else. It is designed to get the POPLA code and that is why I prefer to give a better appeal point to give them no wriggle room in refusing a POPLA code.

Also, you should wait for the NTK to arrive before sending any appeal in as it gives them even more chance to screw up.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    mib150 wrote: »
    The soft appeal to VCS? We've already been in touch with our local councillor who thinks we will get off with it.

She did leave the site to get some cash to buy goods in the store (Wickes) which is next to where she got the ticket.

The 'Private Land' is actually the car park of a Graham's store which has closed down.

Parking in Wickes car park is free and has no signs up, but the ticket from VCS states the car was on the Wickes site? Would this mean its void as its not correct?

Sorry for rambling on!

Get off with it? You say that like it's a real parking ticket?! OF COURSE you won't be paying it, this is a scam fake PCN and there are various ways to quash it!!!!

DO NOT RESPOND TO VCS YET IF THIS WAS A WINDSCREEN TICKET, YOU MUST ONLY RESPOND AS THE REGISTERED KEEPER, WHEN YOU GET THE FIRST LETTER IN THE POST IN A MONTH OR SO (IF YOU HAVE HAD NO LETTER YET).

Here's an example of a similar thread now at the second stage of appeal called POPLA:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4595815

Follow that example and read other threads too.

When you get your Notice to Keeper in the post, and ONLY then, your first challenge can be quite short but is NOT about what happened except to say (without implying who was driving!):

'if a driver is seen leaving a site then under contract law a parking attendant would be required to mitigate any alleged loss as in the case of VCS v Ibbotson, not simply watch a driver leave then pounce and slap a ticket on a car for VCS's own revenue. One would have thought VCS would be aware of that persuasive case as your boss Simon Renshaw-Smith was personally brought to task over it by Judge McIlwaine.

Secondly, there is no signage whatsoever at this site so good luck with your so-called 'evidence' for POPLA if you choose to reject my challenge.'

:D

Make sure your challenge is not sent until you get the first POSTAL Notice to Keeper.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • mib150
    Options
    Just had another drive to the site and can confirm that there are no VCS signs up when you enter, however there are good few dotted around attached to the walls.
    Also I previously said that there are no signs up in the Wickes part of the car park, actually there are, don't know if this will make a difference?
    Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family