Unlock Iphone 4 legally but how?

Options
nilsac
nilsac Posts: 16 Forumite
My friend is upgrading and is giving me a iphone 4. She is currently with 02 and im out of contract with orange. Tried martins negotiating tips and reply was simply we cant match that, we`ll go ahead and cancel contract. I have been sent a PUK code by orange, but im not really sure what thats for?

What is the legal way of using my friends iphone 4 but with a different network?

Hope that makes sense.

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    PUK is for a unlocking a sim locked accidentally by entering PIN code incorrectly.

The easiest and the only reliable way of unlocking iPhone for using it on other networks is for your friend to ask O2 to do this.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mobile%29,CASE=17424
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    they ask O2 for the unlock code for the phone , once they have that connect to itunes and legally unlock

PAC code would enable you to take your current number to O2 or any other network
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    There IS no code. O2 will process the request and charge a fee. Apple then note this on their servers and after a delay of some weeks, an iTunes sync will confirm the phone is now unlocked.
  • dazza.mk
    dazza.mk Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    There IS no code. O2 will process the request and charge a fee. Apple then note this on their servers and after a delay of some weeks, an iTunes sync will confirm the phone is now unlocked.

O2 normally unlock for free in the past (for Contract)

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,question=ref(user):str(Mobile),CASE=17424
  • sekrapa
    sekrapa Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had an iphone 3gs originally purchased at Apple store, and found out it was locked to O2. I put £15 credit on the phone and used the chat function on their website. After going through security, they processed the unlocking from there. Within 15 minutes, had a text to say it was unlocked and to connect to itunes with new sim card. I did, and it worked. Now have an unlocked iphone for £15, instead of the £0 that some websites ask for.
  • Im_just_careful
    Options
    sekrapa wrote: »
    I had an iphone 3gs originally purchased at Apple store, and found out it was locked to O2. .

That's odd. I would have expected the phone to be unlocked if bought from Apple directly.

Are you sure it was ever locked ?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's odd. I would have expected the phone to be unlocked if bought from Apple directly.

Are you sure it was ever locked ?

If an iPhone is bought on contract it will always be locked, it does not matter where it was bought.
    ====
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    If an iPhone is bought on contract it will always be locked, it does not matter where it was bought.
    So do Apple have multiple sets of stock, each of which is SIM-locked to a different network? I think not.

Unlike the Carphone Warehouse whose iPhones become SIM-locked to the network of the first SIM inserted, Apple's iPhones are SIM-free and don't do this.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 May 2013 at 6:46PM
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    So do Apple have multiple sets of stock, each of which is SIM-locked to a different network? I think not.

Unlike the Carphone Warehouse whose iPhones become SIM-locked to the network of the first SIM inserted, Apple's iPhones are SIM-free and don't do this.

They don't need multiple stock, I don't think you understand how Apple maintain their locked/unlocked stock.

They only have one stock, when a phone is issued it is scanned into their system and the network lock is added on the system at this stage. When the customer connects to activate, the Apple server then tells the handset what the lock status is and it accepts or rejects the sim dependent on lock.

Apple warranty stock works the same way, the Genius transfers over the old handsets status to the replacement when he processes the replacement.

CPW are different in that they don't have access to the Apple server system so it's set up to first sim locks.
    NFH wrote: »
    Apple's iPhones are SIM-free and don't do this.

Only true for handsets sold without a contract, ie simfree at £529, £599, £699 for an iPhone 5.
    ====
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    CPW are different in that they don't have access to the Apple server system so it's set up to first sim locks.
    This is the key point. Very good explanation. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure