IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
webuyanycar.com
Views: 134,147
# 1
tali
Old 16-05-2007, 6:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default webuyanycar.com

anyone used webuyanycar.com?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
poppy_f1
Old 16-05-2007, 8:30 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

well they told me they would buy my fiat brava (its not my car anymore but didnt trust them with my current car details) for £530
its a 99 W reg and on autotrader the cars selling at £1450
so i dont think so but i guess if you are desparate to get rid it may be a option
The Following User Says Thank You to poppy_f1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
tali
Old 17-05-2007, 7:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

trouble is fiats are worth sweet fa at any age (sorrrry!)
530 is bare bones minimum, (although 1450 is toooo high imho)
The Following User Says Thank You to tali For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mjr600
Old 17-05-2007, 9:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

webuyanycar is linked directly to Carcraft and you will have recieved an enhanced valuation in the event you buy from them.

They have a very poor reputation, both for customer service, for pricing, for the quality of their vehicles and their finance rates.

In many ways they exhibit all the stereotypes that go with car dealers wrapped up in a shiny glass showroom.

Trade it elsewhere or sell it privately.

copied from my earlier post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mjr600 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
bclark
Old 30-01-2008, 3:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Webuyyourcar.com is for desperate people only. I put my Car into the quoter and they offered me 8400 for my Megane CC 56 plate with 5000 on the clock. Well below even the trade in value.
# 6
balsingh
Old 30-01-2008, 4:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

They're a complete waste of time. Even if they make you a reasonable offer on the website, it isnt a guarantee. They can still turn around and offer you less or even say they don't want the car when you turn up with it.

I got a decent quote on a non-runner but when I got it towed there, the offered me a lot less so I ended up getting it towed back home. Managed to sell it on eBay for the same price as what they initially offered me.
If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below
The Following User Says Thank You to balsingh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
colin9749
Old 01-02-2008, 7:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs down webuyanycar

One of the kids used this website to price 2 of my cars. A 1990 XJ40 with 33,000 miles on the clock in concours condition [even the spare has never been used] was valued at 150 and a 1983 280SL Mercedes with 100,000 miles in very tidy condition with 9 months M.O.T. was valued at 860. Need I say more!
# 8
dmg24
Old 01-02-2008, 7:47 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

sounds like spam to me ...
# 9
dbbear
Old 26-03-2008, 9:07 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Do they ever match there valuation? I have been valued at 4300 for my lexus is200 (very low price) but i got offered rock bottom p/x on a new car I have bought as it is such a low price (basically getting it at cost), So if i get the webuyanycar offer then its a couple more quid in my pocket and they have a good deal. However I cant be assed if I turn up and they say op wee scratcht there, dent there, etc, etc then get offered 3500.

PS feel free to make me an offer but the clock is ticking 24hrs!!
# 10
D Jones
Old 03-04-2008, 11:02 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Waste of time

Do not waste your time with these people. (webuyanycar.com) They give you a tempting offer on the internet then you make an appointment to visit there offices. So you drive for an hour to meet up with a rather down market ex bouncer type who says they dont want your car as its not fitted with something or other. But would buy it for 1500 less.
Dont waste your petrol and time.
# 11
axus
Old 12-04-2008, 5:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

BE VERY WARY OF CARCRAFT
I was recently searching the internet for a nearly new Avensis T3. I came across carcraft's webpage and they had one that matched my requirements in their Leeds shwroom.
I phoned them at 11.00 and booked a test drive saying that I would coming up from Shefield and woulde be there for 14.00.
We arrived on time, was grabbed by a saleman before even clearing the door. He told us to go and have a coffee while he checked the car was available. They then tried to charge us 7.90 for two coffees !!!!!. We were led into the workshp to look at the car, which had flat tyre ( must have been driven from the compound on a flat tyre).
He went to look at my X-Type, came back and rote in 3" high letters 9,000 which they wanted with my car valuing it at 2,000, just 1,000 less than every other offer. He eventually upt their off to 2,800 for the X-type. I said I would consider it after a test drive, waited until 15.00 then walked out.
No one treats me with contemp and I wont play their silly games like sign this and sign that.
On my way out we were confronted by an arrogent sales manager demanding to know why we were leaving when we had shook on a deal. I not so politely told him where to go. I may be an OAP but I am more than a match for those sharks
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to axus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Brazil Bill
Old 23-05-2008, 3:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Please don't get me started on Carcraft - they may have got their act together since 2002 but I...okay, stick to the thread. I thought I'd look at seeing what 'they' thought my Alfa Spider was worth, it's a 2001 model, and yes, not the newest shape, but have had it valued after I'd done the necessary work. Local garages were will to sell at between 6,750 and 8,250. As it's a 6-speed upgrade and is basically immaculate, I thought I'd run a comparison.

WeStealYourCar.com came up with 3,310.

Say no more.

Bloody cowboys.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brazil Bill For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
gner_ex
Old 25-05-2008, 10:27 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by UkCarAds View Post
My top tip for anyone looking at finance is to ignore APR as 99% of you dont know what it actually means. You are far better asking what the FLAT RATE of interest is as this does not vary based on loan amount and repayment period.

Example: if you borrow 10,000 you could have an APR of 7% and the flat rate of 6.5%

or if you borrowed 5,000 your APR could be 15% but a flat rate of only 6%.

At first look it appears that for the 10,000 your interest is lower because of the lower APR but actually the interest rate is higher.

Hope this makes sence and
You really think people will trust your feeble attempt at explaining how interest rates work, when you can't even spell the word "sense".

Price given for my car was 1400, and I have recently been offered 2200 cash by a trader, and 3000 part exchange (and would expect around the same price to sell privately) - what a waste of time - hope I'm not going to get a load of spam from them now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gner_ex For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Chris_f99
Old 28-05-2008, 2:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UkCarAds View Post
My top tip for anyone looking at finance is to ignore APR as 99% of you dont know what it actually means. You are far better asking what the FLAT RATE of interest is as this does not vary based on loan amount and repayment period.

Example: if you borrow 10,000 you could have an APR of 7% and the flat rate of 6.5%

or if you borrowed 5,000 your APR could be 15% but a flat rate of only 6%.

At first look it appears that for the 10,000 your interest is lower because of the lower APR but actually the interest rate is higher.

Hope this makes sence
Oh by the way, just in case your wondering I have never worked for UK Car Group but have worked in the motor trade for many years.
Thanks for your "top tip". Pity it's not only factually incorrect and misleading, but just the sort of nonsense that car salesmen use to confuse people. (I know they have tried it with me in the past).

APR was brought in to *stop* dodgy explanations such as this guy's. It reflects the real cost of borrowing. If you want to know how much a loan will cost you, look at:

1) The APR

2) The total cost of borrowing.

Both must be stated by a lender.

If they try to tell you what "UKCarads" tell you, walk away or at least tell them to shut up and show you the APR.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chris_f99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
stugib
Old 05-06-2008, 1:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I found this thread a few days ago when I was considering using webuyanycar.com so thought I'd post my experience any future searchers.

Was looking to trade in my 40,000 mile '55 1.6 Focus for something more efficient but was only getting £5000 part-ex offers. Glass/Parkers said private sale price was about £6000.

So tried the site and got offered £5550 offer online, without entering any damage (as there wasn't anything obvious I knew about). Took it into the Peterborough office and everything was very open about how much they'd take off for each bit of damage (e.g. scratch £100, minor dent £50). He took a look and offered me £5400 for it because of a couple of minor dents he found. Didn't bother to haggle as I was trying to keep a straight face for 'making' £400 above the nearest best offer I'd had whilst avoiding the hassle of selling privately. Money arrived as promised 4 days later.

All in all very impressed with my dealings with them. It may have helped that I was selling something fairly new, still under warranty, and the Peterborough branch is literally an office not a CarCraft showroom so there was nothing to hard-sell me. That £400 made the difference between getting the car I wanted and having to settle for another model, so I'm very pleased I went ahead.

p.s. agree with the previous post on APR - lost track of the number of salesmen who have told me "don't worry about the APR, the car industry works on flat rates"

Last edited by stugib; 05-06-2008 at 1:49 PM.
# 16
dave_d
Old 08-06-2008, 4:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

There a con, I entered the details for a 2004 Bentley Continental GT and they offered 250 for it! Yea right!
# 17
stugib
Old 09-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_d View Post
There a con, I entered the details for a 2004 Bentley Continental GT and they offered 250 for it! Yea right!
They're certainly not a con, but what you've probably shown is that they'll configure their pricing database to deter people with cars they can't easily re-sell via their Carcraft sites. I'm sure they'll shift my Focus at a good profit within a week or two, but I expect you'll be hard pushed to find a Bentley at Carcraft! I recommended them to a colleague and the price he was offered was a lot less than he wanted. Horses for courses.

Lots of companies work the same way, from insurance companies down to your local handyman who will price himself out of a job he doesn't want to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to stugib For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Stephb1986
Old 09-06-2008, 3:21 PM

i used them once took my car to car crap at liverpool they inspected it and said they would give me less money than they quoted online! so i told them to shove it where the sun dont shine, it wqas a waste of time and wouldnt bother!

Steph xx
# 19
lisawaters
Old 25-06-2008, 7:31 PM

All useful comments.... but I want to sell my S_TYPE Jag - where should I go for best price? Didn't get a single bite on Ebay or Autotrader.
# 20
LondonSurgeon
Old 15-07-2008, 4:24 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default webuyanycar

Have now sold 2 7 series bmws through these guys in essex.

Reasonable price.

What is book price....parkers and what car prices are notoriously over the top.

Payment received in 4 days by bacs transfer.